4 Things that take our Tickets Away - slick 'n sexy edit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RadRacer

The Fly
First of all, I wanna say I love U2 fans, I love super fans and I love the admins and mods!

1. Lots of fans, however, were not able to get tickets on this tour. If you don't believe this, then go somewhere else. We have all heard about the plague that are ticket brokers. U2 shows everywhere sold out in a matter of minutes, and they are in possession of an abundance of tickets in any section of a venue. Their prices show anything but love for the music of U2.

2. Also, scalpers have never been a greater plague to a tour. A U2 fan getting rid of some extra tickets over eBay and making a variable profit (due to the nature of auctions), I don't consider a scalper. However, some of us have become scalpers, for one reason or another, and are not treating our brother and sister U2 fans in a dignified manner. The temptation to adopt those "unethical" strategies is enormous for someone who just can't afford to buy tickets at the scalper rate on his own budget - one could buy up any section you get and don't want on a general sale, sell them like a scalper to make enough money to afford the ticket you want from a scalper. It's a vicious cycle.

3. Nevertheless, there are a handful of people who have gotten their hands on 2 or more GAs to more than ten shows on a leg and, understandably, are very happy about that. They may be real fans, and I wish any real fan to have that much fun. I wish we could all see as much of U2 as our passion thirsts for. Now, read my first point, again. This harsh inequality between the haves and have-nots breeds discontent.

4. Fanclubs. This one is a sensitive issue. I would do what it takes to get U2 tickets, including pay the annual fee, if that's what everybody else has to do. However, what's a fanclub really to you? Most U2 fans don't bother with it until a tour comes around. That is seen in the fact that we had a debacle with the influx of fanclub members before the Vertigo tour.
Beyond that, however, I must say I dislike the idea of these kinds of fanclubs. I think it's wrong to measure the level of "fandom" of a fan through the amount of money he throws at the label "U2". And when fanclubs mess up and cannot accept the number of applicants before a tour, a real arbitrary divide begins between those who are privileged with presale codes and those who are not. They can both be the same level of hardcore fan, but one gets the short end of the stick. Or, worse yet, the slug-type of "fan" may actually get his hands on a presale code. These fanclubs haven't even shown their effectiveness in separating the real fans from the pure scalpers. Plenty of scalpers got in and got their presale codes.

What do you think? I want some "YEAs" and "NAYs" on this.

For various reasons there are always people who aren't going to be able to get to any show. That's life. When it comes right down to it, this is just a series of concerts -- it's not life or death.

There are many, many concerts over the years I would have loved to have gone to but couldn't, and you know what? I'm still living quite nicely and I don't think I'm bitter because other people were able to go to see them (even multiple times). I realize that I have made choices in my life that have allowed me to do some things and prevented me from doing others, and I accept that every decision has consequences, both good and bad.

You know some people on this site (and I'm sure some not on this site ;) ) have saved for months, even years, to have enough money so that when this tour rolled around they could travel anywhere and pay virtually any price to see the band play (sometimes multiple times). They planned for it, and they worked for it. I'm sure there are things they would have liked to spend that money on before this, but they knew they wanted this more.

I also have the strong suspicion that if you keep trying for tickets, especially if you are willing to travel to a different city for a show, you will be able to find something. Hell, I read just tonight that there are still tickets to the May 10 show available. Might be a road trip, but those can be loads of fun.

Yes, I know it's a question of attitude, and I think I've got a mature attitude about it. I know what fate has dished out for me at the present moment. But I don't feel like I should sit there and sing about how I take it. There are things that can be done about this.

First thing, raise awareness. How many people feel like I do? Don't be shy about just posting a simple 'yes'.

Also, it's a call to stop and think. For example, the vicious cycle of people scalping to buy at scalper prices is a disappointing development. It's not something to cry at fate about.

Please don't be too lazy to think into this and to the implications of this. Yes, at first you can do nothing but accept it, but I think if you do nothing, it's going to get worse. And someday, fans are going to have to deal with it, all the way.

I am not resigned to the shortest possible end of the stick, though, just to let you know. I've got my hopes up on the few avenues to a show that are still left me. And if not - hey - U2 can go fly a kite and I'll still have a great day! They and everyone else are just missing the impact I can make.

Thank you for your input, though, Indra. I appreciate a "Nay" more than silence. By the way, who are those guys?

Please only post your topic in one forum. Cross posting is usually not allowed. You've got this same thread in the General Tour discussion forum.

Thanks ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom