30 Sec Clips of NLOTH!!!! DISCUSSION ONLY (Do not post download links!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really noticing how great the production is on this. And the drumming, too.

What if they opened with Magnificent? Or Unknown Caller, which I think has a cool buildup?

OK, I may be the only one on here, but it's not what I expected. It sounds more like the last two than I had hoped for. I hope the 30 second clips aren't doing it justice. I'm not saying I don't like it, it's just way different than I expected. That's my first impression.

I hope you're right...leave to U2 to overtamper with their music as they always seem to do...what has happened to the "Breathe" and "Magnificent" as far as I can hear with the exception of "Boots" is disappointing...I'll just have to hear those clips in full to know for sure

YOU GOOFS! You can hear the guitar at the beginning of SUC with that Larrystuff part. They just changed it a little and who knows what's on the rest of the song sounds like?

Um... they are only 30 sec clips aren't they?

since this song is less than 4 minutes song, i seriously doubt there would be anything hard rocking and radically different then what the clip sounds like and then have that section in the middle or wherever.

I hope you're right...leave to U2 to overtamper with their music as they always seem to do...what has happened to the "Breathe" and "Magnificent" as far as I can hear with the exception of "Boots" is disappointing...I'll just have tohear those clips in full to know for sure

let's be fair here. first, the beach clips, you can't hear everything. your imagination fills in the rest, for better or worse.

secondly, these are 30 seconds, and we dont know which 30 seconds of the songs were getting. so we should probably relax with the disappointment visa vi beach clips.

Based on the 30 sec, minus Boots:

1-NLOTH
2-Magnificent
3-Fez-Being Born
4-Stand Up Comedy
5- White As Snow
6-Breathe
7- Crazy
8-Cedars

- I'd like to ponder that Moment of Surrender is 7 minutes long and a bit of lounge inst. can't give much away. Unknown Caller, as well.

I don't know. I mean they're fine songs I suppose, but I'm not getting the whole "This is epic!! U2 is back to form!!111!!1!" reaction at all. I think Bono sounds awful on these actually. The music is fine but I don't like his singing at all. Very whiney sounding. I felt the same when GOYB came out but I was hoping it was just limited to that song somehow. Ah well, I'm happy to see everyone liking it though.

Crazy tonight (from what I can hear) is SO much better than I thought it would be. That hook at the start of what seems to be the chorus is pop gold.

Wow this is great.

Some thoughts in disorder

I'm a bit disappointed by some songs and positively surprised by others, but of course the clips will not necessarily be representative of the whole song.

Bono's voice is really wonderful on most songs, I have to say. He does hit the high notes, but its best particularly when he sings low, it has that kind of Walk to the water/Love comes tumbling/Never let me go vibe. Maybe it's production, maybe it's just self-confidence and soulful singing.

Love the drumming on Unknown caller, whether that's electronic or acoustic drums.

Do find Moment of surrender a bit loungey sound wise, but the full song might be different.

I'm not sure about some of the lyrics, but in general they seem to oscillate between overthetop bonoisms (like GOYB), and a more literary style that goes back to the Unforgettable fire or Joshua Tree, which he has not done in ages and it's great.

And I'm not sure it's so much a new sound, rather than just good songs (well, as far as I can tell) and good sound treatments. Rather than the newness what hits me is the quality.

In terms of past U2 music, the emphasis on minor chords and blues riffs is interesting and unusual.

Yeah, Larry really does seem to have wanted to make a mockery out of all of those that have been bashing his drumming in recent years.

NLOTH
Bono sing with intensity and power, good sound, very positive

Magnificent
It was at I gave been expecting, let´s how is the rest of the song

MOS
this 30 sec, are nice, but it´s little to have an opinion in a 7m song.

Unknown Caller
It was my favourite BC. I show that to my friends and all of them loved the song, good rythem, amazing solo. I also think this is just the intro, and I hope that they don´t change much from the BC.

Crazy Tonight
The song that the usual listener will love. I think this is a good song, good choiche for 2ºsingle.

GOYB
Diferent from the rest of the songs. It´s an ok song.

Stand up comedy
I like that one too. Very positive.

FEZ
I was worry, nobody, give good words for that song, But i love the song, good vibes.

White as Snow
I think it´s the song for the movie, and it´s a good song. Simple and nostalgic.

Breathe and Cedars
Least favourite songs, I had high expetactions on Breath, but i don´t like the 30sec.

It´s an good album. Better that the two previous. It´s an album that you will ear from the bigining to the end - almost like AB, but with less quality.

Sounds like the album was made in a candy store.

I thought it would've sounded like it was recorded in the sahara.

Songs sound good though.

This will probably be merged, but I'm going to post here anyway and give you my review of the 30 second clips (and only the clips). Keep in mind these are opinions.

1)No Line on the Horizon The instant it started playing, I was thinking "Coldplay's Yellow??" The chorus phrasing was horrible: "No...No Line on the Hori--izon". I was hoping that those words is going to be in the verse somewhere.

2)Magnificent It's great that they decided to clean up one of their songs from Boy to put on this album.

3)Moment of Surrender Instrumentals only on the clip. Slow tempo. Organ. Nice drum groove. Familiar chord progression but I can't place my finger on it right now.

4)Unknown Caller Definitely very Joshua Tree sounding. Reminds me of One Tree Hill, just much slower. The falsetto vocal was not that great.

5)I'll Go Crazy... A pattern is beginning to emerge by this clip: This album possesses a LOT of vintage U2 sounds. What happened to the experimental feel that was played up by the band and producers? Decent vocals though. Placing a 6 minute song immediately after a 7 minute song will try a lot of people's patience.

6)GOYB Whatever.

7)Stand Up Comedy The lyrics does, in fact, make this clip a bit comedic. Finally, some real rock guitar played by the Edge on this album. I like what I heard.

8)Fez Ok, I was a little confused at first because I heard a slow trippy version of "Let me in the sound" part from GOYB. Then another fast-paced part with a whole lot of distorted and chiming guitar just kicks in abruptly. No transition between the parts, not even a recognizable key change. I'm wondering if Walmart screwed up the preview. For me, it sounds very enjoyable.

9)White as Snow "Where I came from there were no hills at all".... Bono's lyrical ideas are becoming so tired and unoriginal. AND the song could be mistaken for a Christmas carol. I kid not.

10)Breathe Very 70s rock-and-roll. Youngsters are sure to skip this one every time.

11)Cedars I don't know what to make of this yet. Moody. Bono sounds like he's conversing with someone, like Miami on POP--but not as trippy.

The people that liked the real scrachy Bono voice probably wont like this and thats fine :)

His vocals on this are great to me and far more reaching then anything since Passengers.

That first "whoah-oh-ohoh" yodel, that comes right after the lyric on the NLOTH clip, reminds me of another song... is it a U2 song? I KNOW I've heard that before somewhere.... well, it sounds awesome in any event :hyper:

Well, I just caved. I had to hear this.

Oh my freakin' freckin' fuckin' God! :drool:

Based on this short little clips:

Crazy Tonight - Suprises me the most. From what I have read, I wasn't expecting this. Pretty good.

Fez-Being Born - Living up to the hype of what I have read. This one is going to be awesome I think.

The first 4 songs sound damn incredible. Magnificent is going to be a stand out killer.

I still love my Boots, but there seems to be some truth in those few reviews suggesting that the lead single is quite unlike the rest.

Someone here suggested that UF and Zooropa had a baby called No Line On the Horizon. I hear that. I think the UF/JT got mixed with the Zooropa/Passengers.

The mood on these clips is evident. Just dripping with atmosphere. Oh my, holy shit Batman! :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom