3 thoughts on "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
Three thoughts on this awesome song:

1. A song with a title like "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own" has the potential to be a whiny and wimpy Michael Bolton-esque dripfest. Only U2 could make such a triumphant masterpiece.

2. Before ATYCLB came out Brian Eno made a bet that "Stuck in a Moment" would be U2's biggest hit ever. Great song, but it looks like he lost that bet. However, I'm willing to take that bet on "Sometimes You Can't Make It". I think this song is a contender for U2's best ever. Maybe it won't be #1 for X number of weeks, sell the most singles, etc. But, years down the road, I think this one can challenge "One" for U2's peak moment. Could anyone seriously consider changing a word or a note of this song?

3. Played live: I wonder if Bono will ever regret letting the world in so close to a subject so personal as his father dying. I'm wondering, with such a massive tour ahead, by the time Bono has to sing this on say the 77th night of the tour in a place like Iowa City, Iowa, in front of another arena full of strangers, if he'll start to resent the people he is now compelled to sing it to. I know I would. Then again, perhaps this is where being a megalomaniac comes in handy.

I like the song but it has a heartfelt meaning to Bono not me. I was not in his shoes when he wrote that song for his father. I don't know their relationship. The words and feelings in the song are Bono's feelings because we care for Bono we feel the words. Yes that would make any true fan true to the song but I don't think an casual U2 fan would ever say it is the best song that could contend with One.

'One', although not one of my favourite U2 moments, is universal. SYCMIOYO is too personal to contend with it. I've mentioned this before, but I have a problem with listening to songs as personal as SYCMIOYO... I feel like i'm intruding on Bono's privacy whenever I hear it.
Personally, I don't see it as a contender for U2's peak moment. 'Kite' is way higher up on that list for me.

I just finished listening 2 this song in my car....it's the ONE song that I can hear on "repeat" and not want 2 turn off.....it's RIGHT there with One...it has more emotion that One....we'll c what time decides...

'One' isn't even close to being my favorite U2 song, but I don't think any song U2 ever does will surpass 'One'. It is that good.

Sometimes has a lot of power in the vocals but the music doesn't come close to approaching One. What is good isn't really new ground either, the guitar work sounding a little too much like other songs from the pase.

Maybe it's because Edge was going through that divorce, but the solo and guitar at the end on One are just things we're not going to hear again anytime soon. It connects on a VERY deep level. They know it's their high point, and whether or not it's your personal favorite (I prefer Stay, among many others), it should be recognized as such. Putting Sometimes in that category is just wishful thinking.

laz

It's funny how people are doing One-versus-SYCMIOYO comparisons already when One didn't become the epic it is for a number of years. You can't predict the life a song will take on years down the track. I want to know when JT came out, who thought Streets would become the definitive live track? What about 11 O'clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, 40, and Bad? Ah, it's interesting what time does to a song. Give SYCMIOYO time and we'll see if the "it's better than One" or "it's worse than One" crowd wins.

Personally, I hope for a draw. These songs compliment each other. As was said above, One is a universal song, SYCMIOYO is a personal song. Both are very important. They're equals in my eyes and I would hope that this becomes the reality many years down the track.

I thought since the first time I heard the song it's on the same level as One.

Possibly even stronger as it works on a more personal level, and the peak in "can you hear me sing, you're the reason I sing, you're the reason why the opera is in me" touches me more than any other U2 song.

i loved One immediately, it took a few weeks to get into Sometimes.... that being said, theyre both amazing, and itd be impossible to choose between them :drool:

U2girl said:
Possibly even stronger as it works on a more personal level, and the peak in "can you hear me sing, you're the reason I sing, you're the reason why the opera is in me" touches me more than any other U2 song.

That part kills me. Seriously, I don't know how on earth Bono got through recording this song, or performing it at the things he's performed it at thus far, without crying, 'cause every time I've listened to it, I always have tears going by the time it's over.

I don't necessarily feel it's intruding on his personal life, 'cause he's the one who chose to make this personal thing public, so I figure if he's comfortable enough to let us in on this pain, it's not an intrusion, just more him possibly hoping someone will comfort him (after all, U2's music has certainly helped people here through tough times in the past, why not return the favor?), understand what he's going through (in that respect, this song could be a universal one like "One", too-there's other people out there who've had relationships similar to the one Bono and his dad had, and they could easily relate to this song as a result), stuff like that.

Also, :up: to Axver's post.

Angela

Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your own could sell this record an extra 3 million copies on its own....best ballad they have written since One there is no question about that and I would consider it a U2 top 5 masterpiece of all time....best song on the album no doubt about it.

SYCMIOYO isn't even one of the best 5 songs on HTDAAB (that, by himself, is only a good, not great album).

I think the production quality of SYCMIOYO takes away from it's effectiveness as a ballad. The bass, especially at the beginning is way too loud, and throughout the song, much like alot of the album, there's no depth to the sound. Listen to the version from the Brooklyn Bridge gig, now that's the real song! :drool:

lazarus said:
Sometimes has a lot of power in the vocals but the music doesn't come close to approaching One. What is good isn't really new ground either, the guitar work sounding a little too much like other songs from the pase.

Maybe it's because Edge was going through that divorce, but the solo and guitar at the end on One are just things we're not going to hear again anytime soon. It connects on a VERY deep level. They know it's their high point, and whether or not it's your personal favorite (I prefer Stay, among many others), it should be recognized as such. Putting Sometimes in that category is just wishful thinking.

laz

Wishful thinking? pfft.

I think some people are too entrenched in nostalgia...like Axver said, it takes time for a song's iconic, epic status to take form..however for me, Sometimes is as good as One. its just hits me in the same way, that I just know its going to be a timeless song.

One is still the song that gives me shivers every time I hear it... and I probably heard it like 2,000 times... and it still does the same thing to me, every time.

Maybe "Sometimes" (I hate calling it SYCMOYO) will do it to me 5 years down the road, but for me One is the ultimate epiphany.

This song is good but I don't think it's as good as Stuck In a Moment. They seem to be promoting it much more, however, so it will likely be a bigger hit. But that isn't saying much.

I agree with Axver, you never know how a song will resonate with the masses until it has time to seep through all the cracks and settle.

When I first heard One, I hated it. To slow, to complex I wanted UTEOTW or The Fly. However after repeated listenings and seeing them perform it live it took on a new meaning and worked its way up my favorite list.

SYCMIOYO is a great song through and through. You can hear and feel the anguish that Bono is going through as he sings this song. I like that bare emotion, it allows the song to connect with me quicker than One did. One is great and it lends itself to many different interpretations, but Sometimes grabs me and tells me THE story that it meant to tell.

Needle_Chill said:
Listen to the version from the Brooklyn Bridge gig, now that's the real song! :drool:

Where can i find it? (yousendit?) I've never heard it...:( (and I really don't like the album production, so there's hope for me afterall!)

deltau922 said:
This song is good but I don't think it's as good as Stuck In a Moment. They seem to be promoting it much more, however, so it will likely be a bigger hit. But that isn't saying much.

Sometimes does the things Stuck did wrong, right ;)

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:

Sometimes does the thing Stuck did wrong, right ;)

I'm still not tired of 'Stuck', along with Beautiful Day, Walk On and Kite,(all from ATYCLB) it's fresh everytime i hear it.

Its lost its appeal for me...the production is too sweet and claustrophobic, the song has no room to breathe, unlike the HTDAAB songs which possess greater fluidity.

am I the only person who likes the production of 'Sometimes'?

The live version of Sometimes is incredible. I wont be able to hold back tears on tour.

It's a toss up...

Back
Top Bottom