25th anniversary single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL

War Child
I've read in a few threads about a 25th aniversary single? I'd think it would be a song released to the whole world, rather than the split between NA/ROW-Any idea what song it will be? What will be the B-sides?

If it's "A Man and a Woman," I swear I'm burning all my U2 stuff.

I have high hopes that it will be City of Blinding Lights. As for the B-sides, I have no idea, but I would be very happy if the word "remix" did not appear in any of the song titles.

Surely the 25th anniversary has already passed as the band started in 1978 (I think), also they released early singles in 79?

financeguy said:
Surely the 25th anniversary has already passed as the band started in 1978 (I think), also they released early singles in 79?

The 25th anniversary is the 25th anniversary of their relationship with Island Records, which began on 23 May 1980 with the outside-Ireland release of 11 O'clock Tick Tock (inside Ireland, 11 O'clock Tick Tock was still on the CBS label for the time being).

The formation was in 1976, the first single was U2:3 (Out Of Control) in September 1979.

I heard some rumors that they might re-record 'A Celebration' and that that would be the 25th anniversary single.

Rumours I've heard for the 25th anniversary b-side:

Out Of Control/Stories For Boys/Boy-Girl: put their re-recorded first single on the anniversary single.

11 O'clock Tick Tock (and maybe Touch): the anniversary is celebrating the release of this song.

A Celebration: the title makes sense, I suppose ...

I personally hope the a-side is COBL and the b-side 11OTT, for entirely personal reasons. My girlfriend's favourite song is COBL and mine is 11OTT. That as a single would ROCK. And I do have a faint glimmer of hope that it may happen, as I feel 11OTT out of all of those rumoured possibilities makes the most sense.

I remember in an interview a while back that it was mentioned that U2 was really planning something "big" for this 25th anniversary.

I personally think it would be awesome if they re-recorded some of their early work such as 11 O'Clock..., I Will Follow, Out Of Control or whatever, and made a sort of EP of it and re-releasing a song as a single. It'd be awesome to bring an old U2 classic to a new generation(lets face it, most people outside of U2 fans know much of their early work).

I'm highly doubt this would happen, but it'd sure be awesome. In any case, I don't see any of the ideas mentioned so far in the thread, especially simply don't the predictible b-side thing, as being "big" as U2 described it.

namkcuR said:
I heard some rumors that they might re-record 'A Celebration' and that that would be the 25th anniversary single.

ROSARITO ,FOX BAIA STUDIOS 19 FEBRUARY 2005

AFTERNOON SOUNDCHECK
one steep closer take 1
one steep closer take 2
one steep closer take 3
lemon take 1
lemon take 2
lemon take 3
lemon take 4
fast cars
lemon take 5
lemon take 6
fast cars
a celebration take 1
a celebration take 2
a celebration take 3
a celebration take 4
"A Celebration" may be the correct choice after all...?
If they rehearsed the song in Mexico, so why not?

Last edited:
They still believe in the atomic bomb, I guess.

They've seriously been rehearsing "Lemon" too? Where'd you find that?

miss becky said:
I have high hopes that it will be City of Blinding Lights. As for the B-sides, I have no idea, but I would be very happy if the word "remix" did not appear in any of the song titles.

i agree, death to remix's!

ImOuttaControl said:
I remember in an interview a while back that it was mentioned that U2 was really planning something "big" for this 25th anniversary.

I personally think it would be awesome if they re-recorded some of their early work such as 11 O'Clock..., I Will Follow, Out Of Control or whatever, and made a sort of EP of it and re-releasing a song as a single. It'd be awesome to bring an old U2 classic to a new generation(lets face it, most people outside of U2 fans know much of their early work).

I'm highly doubt this would happen, but it'd sure be awesome. In any case, I don't see any of the ideas mentioned so far in the thread, especially simply don't the predictible b-side thing, as being "big" as U2 described it.

If it is something "big" I'd bet that an EP would be the most likely candidate..

I'd be happy to see this.

1. City of Blinding Lights (radio edit)
2. Mercy
3. A Celebration (new version)
4. A Celebration (Old version)
5. 11 O'clock Tick Tock

Release A Celebration and 11 Oclock tick tock because they've never been released onto CD format. Although it was a disgrace that they weren't on the Best Of Compilations.

Maybe even chuck Another Day on the single as well.

This Mercy song. I've never heard it. Might as well be released soon.

I find it fascinating that there exists a rumour that the brilliant A Celebration is being rerecorded. A forgotten masterpiece.

intedomine said:

I find it fascinating that there exists a rumour that the brilliant A Celebration is being rerecorded. A forgotten masterpiece.

Yes I'd agree although in the Into the Heart book published in '96 (a book which deals with the stories behind U2 songs) Bono kind of slags it off a bit, perhaps he's changed his mind.

Axver said:

The 25th anniversary is the 25th anniversary of their relationship with Island Records, which began on 23 May 1980 with the outside-Ireland release of 11 O'clock Tick Tock (inside Ireland, 11 O'clock Tick Tock was still on the CBS label for the time being).

Now I understand.

"A Man and A Woman" is a great song!

Whats wrong with it?

i think it's one of HTDAAB best

"The only pain is to feel noting at all"

love it

financeguy said:

Yes I'd agree although in the Into the Heart book published in '96 (a book which deals with the stories behind U2 songs) Bono kind of slags it off a bit, perhaps he's changed his mind.

That book is my bible.

Bono seems to slag off Gloria a bit as well though. In the BEST of PROPAGANDA he says that he has trouble listening to his voice. He doesn't like it at all it seems, and not only because he reckons he can't sing it anymore. A shame.

A celebration video is a classic too. I remember watching one of Billy Connolly's tour shows and he went to Ireland and he went to the very same jail! I got really excited over that for some reason.

Best thing about the video is Bono's bright red tights, and the prison wardens.

intedomine said:

A celebration video is a classic too. I remember watching one of Billy Connolly's tour shows and he went to Ireland and he went to the very same jail! I got really excited over that for some reason.

"In the cells of Mountjoy there's an honest man" -

Mountjoy jail is a rough place, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I agree about Into the Heart, cool book.

COBL would be a great choice and fitting too since it's their look back at being a band in the early '80s and first starting out.

intedomine said:
I'd be happy to see this.

1. City of Blinding Lights (radio edit)
2. Mercy
3. A Celebration (new version)
4. A Celebration (Old version)
5. 11 O'clock Tick Tock

This would be a fantastic CD single (or EP)! It would advertise/promote what is one of the best songs on HTDAAB (and the radio edit *could* help this song become a huge hit), while having a brand new song ("Mercy" - although we fanatics have downloaded it, I know we'd all like an official version). Additionally, as you wrote, "A Celebration" has never been released on CD - so having the 1982/3 version along with a 2005 recording would be spectacular. Lastly, what better way to celebrate a 25th anniversary than by re-releasing the first single?

Trouble is, this is SUCH a good track-listing that I doubt it would ever happen. :( Even though it makes complete sense and would really excite die-hards and attract the interest of regular fans (the packaging on the CD could advertise the "25th Anniversary" aspect and push both the new and old, with "unreleased" material aspect on it! It's a marketing dream!), U2's marketing team often screws up these type of "no-brain" situations. Instead, they'll release some inappropriate song with 15 remixes or live versions of less popular songs and wonder why it didn't sell well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom