25 years since 'Boy'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

withashout

The Fly
I think the thing I fear about the new album is that if its release, and more likely, the tour coincide with the band's 25th year anniversary in 2005, then will they just use the anniversary as a marketing tool and as a result deliver less-than-exciting material? They already did the the "back-to-the-basics" U2 approach with ATYCLB. That was fine. A band can do that once in their career. But U2 should be about reinvention and I wonder if they will fall back on the "classic" U2 formula for this record as well. How boring that would be.

Since there have been reports of a commemorative coffee-table U2 book coming out in 2005 and also the band will be eligible for induction into the R n' R Hall of Fame at that time (25 years being the minimum), there is no doubt they will milk their anniversary to sell the new album and tour. Perhaps this is why they have waited so long to the new album wrapped up and on the market.

I just hope they don't rehash ATYCLB.

True, a back to basics (some of it, anyway) album can only be done once, especially with a band with a history such as U2's. It's walking on thin ice if overdone.

I don't think they will repeat ATYCLB, because they never do the same sound twice (it makes you think though...how much more can they explore?) and because several people confirmed this album will be rocking.
Personally I'm hoping for a more jazz-like album someday like MDH soundtrack was.

By the time RnR Hall of fame induction comes they will probably be on tour - especially if it is as long as the rumor says - so 25th anniversary won't mean they're old dinosaurs, but will be a sign they're still popular and relevant.

The reason this album is taking so long could be the recording isn't going well. Or they're coming up with some huge (double?)-album (they probably have enough material anyway and time won't be on their side in the future) that will blow everyone away. Or this could be their last attempt to make the "perfect" album and they just want to get it right.

My biggest fear is the album gets a lukewarm reception from fans and critics.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

The reason this album is taking so long could be the recording isn't going well. Or they're coming up with some huge (double?)-album (they probably have enough material anyway and time won't be on their side in the future) that will blow everyone away. Or this could be their last attempt to make the "perfect" album and they just want to get it right.

My biggest fear is the album gets a lukewarm reception from fans and critics.

U2Girl...:sad: I can't believe you're getting caught up in the doubt... Absence is supposed to make the heart grow fonder. I think (repeat I THINK) that the recording went well, however working with Chris Thomas they had second thoughts about releasing the material as is (like they did with Flood and Howie B on POP) and decided to turn to a trusted ally. This way they could be 100% sure that what they felt they were striving for was truly being reached. Sure, it's not the best of situations, but sometimes self-doubt can really SCREAM at you so you instead of trusting their own instincts they turned to someone (or a few someones, Danny Lanois included) to verify their feelings.

OK, so Chizip is right I think Lanois came in and turned them onto a different direction and they went for it. U2 are not beholden to their record company, they are too powerful. So they decided to put in the extra effort and achieve the sound they wanted. I am truly excited about this album, because I think they are going to deliver the ROCK album I've always wanted from them. We'll see.

Just thinking out loud...I'll decide on the album when I hear it - or at least the first single, we'll know more by then. :)

I'm not sure what other explanation can there be when an album that was supposed to (ok, not officially but there were hints) be out in 2003 is pushed to autumn 2004.
If it's that good, why wait?
And if sessions with Chris Thomas weren't "all that", then why did they wait until this February to bring in Lillywhite? (whether Lanois suggested something new or not, I thought he just gave the material a listen and didn't do anything substantial)
What is a DJ doing, helping him with a rock album?

It's all too confusing...

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you U2girl, I was at the studio when Chris Thomas was there and Lanois was also there around the same time...then they drafted in Lillywhite - (the other two are clearly finished) and one can't help but wonder why????

Comon, we've all heard that the album is al but wrapped up and that the band are delighted with it, yet, I can tell you the album is far from finished, there's a lot of anxiety running through the studio and I just can't help but think U2 are trying to go one better - that's natural for a band but it seems they've achieved so much that so much is now expected from their next cut as they themselves have hyped it into almost legendary status - We shall see!!! Don't get me wrong gang, I love U2's sound, I'm a fan and I ain't going to say anything detrimental against them but honestly the hype is just pathetic!

Or they don't want to do what they did with Pop,( they rushed it, weren't overly thrilled with it); instead take the time to make an album they're confident with.

From what I gather, relevance is more important at this point in their career, than sales.

Back
Top Bottom