25 years ago...four Dublin schoolboys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabby

Refugee
Just awhile ago, my classic rock station did the 'this day in rock history' thing. There were a lot of things mentioned, but the last one was my favorite. It said 25 years ago, four Dublin schoolboys won an award on a TV show, and it was the first of many prizes to come! :yes: I didn't hear it all because eveybody in the car was staring at me and going 'hey! it's U2!' and stuff, but that's the idea. They played BTBS in the background as they talked. I thought that was cool. Pics of U2 in 1978:

A_0361.jpg

I think that is the show they were talking about-

Another cute one, do you think they'll amount to anything?;)

01.jpg

tiny dancer said:
And who would of known that 25 years to this day, they are one of the biggest rock bands to grace this world of ours. :yes:

No kidding.

That's why I love looking at early pictures of them or footage from the very first shows they'd appear on to perform...knowing where they were gonna end up, finding it fascinating to see how they got to where they are now (well, that and the fact that they just look so innocent and adorable in the early pictures).

Angela

:up: that is a long time. just think of all the bands that go through line-up changes on a near monthly basis...or yearly...

:up:

It is interesting that 50% of the creation that is rock and roll was from country-western music, and by that extension - Irish/Scottish/Welsh folk songs. And it comes full-circle with U2.

1253.jpg

Excellent thread.........I love the very first picture....I missed the first 20 something years (considering they started about 5 years before i was born)...but it's never too late!!!

bayernfc said:
...I missed the first 20 something years (considering they started about 5 years before i was born)...but it's never too late!!!

yeah same here

You know, I've always wondered what it would have been like to make a time machine, bring it back to 1976 and show the boys UABRS, R&H, ZooTV Sydney, PopMart Mexico, and Elevation Boston and all the albums. Imagine what their reactions would be.

DaveC said:
You know, I've always wondered what it would have been like to make a time machine, bring it back to 1976 and show the boys UABRS, R&H, ZooTV Sydney, PopMart Mexico, and Elevation Boston and all the albums. Imagine what their reactions would be.

probabl;y a combination of :huh: :yikes: :eek: :eeklaugh: :shocked: :lol: :lmao: and :rolleyes: :evil:

and :mac:

I love the second pic because it looks like were just any teen boys dreaming and had no idea of the extent of greatness to come! It seemed like some kind of Brady Bunch talent show (good thing they didn't loose to Patty's prancing poodles!)

I have often thought what those young boys would think if you showed them their future selves. But no, as Doc Brown said, it would create a paradox that would destroy the universe as we know it, and possibly create an alternate 2003 with NO U2!:no:

I'm just so happy things worked out so well for those boys. I bet even they have a hard time believing it sometimes. Can you imagine what it would be like to wake up half asleep, have groggy, and for a second think "I am a major rock star" and think maybe it was only a dream? Then they see the evidence- 'but you were there, and you- it wasn't a dream!' But it was- a dream come true! What an inspiration to dreamers everywhere!

Tech said:
How lucky are we that 25 yrs. later we still have a cool band that is freaking amazing? This is a cool thing to celebrate!:yes: :wave:

*raises a glass*

I'd love to see their faces when we told them that they'd make one of the most classic albums of all time. That might make them happy.

U2Kitten said:
I love the second pic because it looks like were just any teen boys dreaming and had no idea of the extent of greatness to come! It seemed like some kind of Brady Bunch talent show (good thing they didn't loose to Patty's prancing poodles!)

LOL! Yeah, really. :D.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
I have often thought what those young boys would think if you showed them their future selves. But no, as Doc Brown said, it would create a paradox that would destroy the universe as we know it, and possibly create an alternate 2003 with NO U2!:no:

Which would be bad. Very bad.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
I'm just so happy things worked out so well for those boys. I bet even they have a hard time believing it sometimes. Can you imagine what it would be like to wake up half asleep, have groggy, and for a second think "I am a major rock star" and think maybe it was only a dream? Then they see the evidence- 'but you were there, and you- it wasn't a dream!' But it was- a dream come true! What an inspiration to dreamers everywhere!

Exactly.

And hear, hear, to what Tech said as well.

25 years later, and they're still gaining fans. They have staying power.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
I'd love to see their faces when we told them that they'd make one of the most classic albums of all time. That might make them happy.

And hear, hear, to what Tech said as well.

25 years later, and they're still gaining fans. They have staying power.

Angela

Right! :up: And more power to them! :happy:

Back
Top Bottom