2004 tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ireland

The Fly
it is now most probable that u2 will tour again next year.
i just wanted to know peoples thoughts on whether yee tink it will be astadium tour or an arena tour again.

i dont want people to get into an argument about which is better-just looking to see what yee tink the band will do???

im thinking that it willbe a mixture of both- but mostly stadiums

any thoughts???????

Most definitely NOT stadiums. Arenas only. As a huge of a concert draw that U2 is, they were so overwhelmingly successful playing arenas on Elevation, that they are not going to risk half-empty stadiums again like on some stops of the Popmart tour.

Remember U2 got pretty lucky with the commercial success ATYCLB. If the new album isn't as popular they still will be able to play to arenas, but not stadiums. I think they will play it safe, and I like them in arenas. I get to be a little closer to them. :)

P.S. - for clarification, I am talking about North America. I suppose there is a possibility of stadium shows in some European cities or South America or something like that.

Last edited:
:shrug: Maybe with the increased popularity thanks to the last album/tour they will do the stadiums again.

In the US, no stadiums. In Europe, South America, etc.....probably. U2 is much more popular now than when ATYCLB was first released, but I still don't think they could do a stadium tour. Maybe in the bigger cities to save them from doing so many shows in one town (i.e. 8 in New York City area, 6 in Chicago, 6 in Los Angeles, 4 in San Francisco, 7 in New England region, and even 4 shows in Florida). I believe that the European tour will be all stadiums.

womanfish said:
Most definitely NOT stadiums. Arenas only. As a huge of a concert draw that U2 is, they were so overwhelmingly successful playing arenas on Elevation, that they are not going to risk half-empty stadiums again like on some stops of the Popmart tour.

Remember U2 got pretty lucky with the commercial success ATYCLB. If the new album isn't as popular they still will be able to play to arenas, but not stadiums. I think they will play it safe, and I like them in arenas. I get to be a little closer to them. :)

That's the way I felt with them playing arenas. The connected more with the audience.

but stadium shows are kinda cool in their own way. the sheer size is awesome!

but soundwise, arena's are even too big. concert hall's would be the way to go, but obviously u2 are too big for that.

ouizy's got it dead on...

go the rolling stones route... do arenas and stadiums... even with less than stellar album sales, u2 can still sell out in new york, boston, chicago, dc, LA, etc. just look at pop. giants stadium in new york had 3 sold out shows. on the flip side of that, who knows if they could sell out a huge stadium in a middle to small sized market, even with ATYCLB type success. so give us the best of both worlds. come in to NY for 2 giants stadium shows, a couple of shows at the garden, and top if off with a nice little send off at the roseland or irving plaza.

...something about them saying that the type of music on ATYCLB suited arenas better than stadiums, whereas zoo tv and pop needed to be that big. couldn't it also depend on what the new album sounds like?

or that was just an excuse for the band after having popmart stadiums not as sucessful in the u.s.

IWasBored said:
...something about them saying that the type of music on ATYCLB suited arenas better than stadiums, whereas zoo tv and pop needed to be that big. couldn't it also depend on what the new album sounds like?

or that was just an excuse for the band after having popmart stadiums not as sucessful in the u.s.

Yes but Zoo started in arenas only. There was talk at the time that the personal nature of the songs on Achtung Baby would not translate to a stadium. We know now that it wasnt the case. But I think it also shows that the kind of album they do has nothing to do with the venues they play. If ATYCLB was meant for arenas, why are two of the best shows from Elevation outdoor festival shows (IE Slane and Turin)

I think the U.S. will be mostly if not all arenas. Europe will be mostly stadiums. U2 could go the route the Stones did on their last tour though which would be great IMO. As pointed out before U2 could easily sellout stadiums in the major markets. Throw in a few theater gigs also like the Stones did. Would create a very exciting environment and give people the oppurtunity to possibly experience 3 very different types of shows on the same tour. (although getting tickets to the theater gigs would be difficult, but the possibility would still be awesome)

As long as they don't pull that elitist heart crap again...what an excuse for commercial hype. And the "Golden Circle" was just an excuse to gouge people who want to be able to sit.

Melon

I do not know, the hope in me of which they return to my country already is almost null :(

AdamsMango said:
i doubt they will do stadiums anymore. doesn't seem to be their thing anymore. Arenas i bet

Then what do you call the great shows they did at Slane and Turin Italy on the last tour? Those shows were some of the best shows of the Elevation tour. Also, dont forget that tentative plan in 2003 was that they would tour stadiums in Europe. So I disagree with your statement.

I dont know how it isnt their thing anymore as they have played stadium shows on every single tour since the Unf. Fire tour. I doubdt they will ever do an exclusive stadium tour like Popmart again. But they will play stadium shows again, just not in every market or country.

Last edited:
melon said:
As long as they don't pull that elitist heart crap again...what an excuse for commercial hype. And the "Golden Circle" was just an excuse to gouge people who want to be able to sit.

Melon

This is a joke right?

I agree, the Golden Circle was bullshit. But the heart was the best thing EVER. For big fans, like I assume we all are here, it was finally a way to get a spot that you deserved instead of brokers, radio station winners, and VIP's taking up the first 10 to 15 rows. It's funny too that after U2 pulled off the general admission area successfully, now EVERYONE is doing it. Just like how many bands copied U2's (Willie William's) satellite stage idea.

Here's my predicting time table for U2/

Oct/Nov- Album finished
Dec- 1st single released
Jan-April- tour rehearsals
Feb-march- album release
April-May- Short U.S. arena tour
June-August- Fullscale European tour
September-December- Larger U.S. tour. Some stadiums, mostly arenas.
Feb-April- Possible "rest of world tour" Aus, South Am, Japan, Zealand.

2005-2007- Wide speculation of next album's release.
Late 2007/Early 2008- Album release. Media backlash. End of U2.

It will depend also on how they feel physically as well. Larger stadiums mean less shows to do. I think the years of on the road for a year or so is over. With the current world events going on, (sars and terrorism) it could be too dangerous to have 50 to a 100,000 people in one gathering. Even though I hate to think of never seeing them live, this may be the last hurrah for big or massive concert tours. However, I don't believe they will drop out of the concert genre, it's just going to be very different.
***Opening savings account for flight and expenses to see them anywhere, possible. ***2004!!!

sue4u2 said:
It will depend also on how they feel physically as well. Larger stadiums mean less shows to do. I think the years of on the road for a year or so is over. With the current world events going on, (sars and terrorism) it could be too dangerous to have 50 to a 100,000 people in one gathering. Even though I hate to think of never seeing them live, this may be the last hurrah for big or massive concert tours. However, I don't believe they will drop out of the concert genre, it's just going to be very different.
***Opening savings account for flight and expenses to see them anywhere, possible. ***2004!!!

Hmm, I'am not sure if I buy into that. After all Bruce Springsteen is launching a stadium tour in Europe and the U.S. this summer and this is right after war in the middle east. U2 toured the U.S. right after 911. So I dont think world events will have much bearing on what type of tour they do.

It will come down to this. Which way will draw the best publicity and make the most sense financially and for them physically. I think the answer is a combination of both arenas and stadiums.

the band will play stadiums, clubs, and arenas in the major markets (NY, LA etc...) arenas in the smaller cities with some clubs thrown in.

They usually have many of the same members in their camp as the Stones, and the Stones were hugely successful doing this.

Plus the band played 3 club shows before the last tour.

I'd rather like the idea of a few theatershows like the Stones do! :yes: And definitely arena's! I'd go anyway for U2, but I'm just not a big fan of stadiums.

I wouldn't expect club/Theater shows. Bono said when they played at the Irving Plaza in NYC, that he kinda felt too big for it. Like "where's the other 40,000 people?" I wouldn't expect U2 in clubs too much. It'll be mainly arenas if not entirely arenas in the U.S. I can see them doing some stadiums in certain big markets (Phili,Boston,NYC,Chicago,LA, San Fran, Toronto) in order to minimize the amount of shows they have to do. For every other city, one or two arena concerts would take care of those markets.

Back
Top Bottom