2001 MTV Video Music Awards - U2 & their competition; make your predicitons!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
BEST VIDEO OF THE YEAR
U2 - Beautiful Day
Fatboy Slim - Weapon Of Choice
Eminem featuring Dido - Stan
Janet Jackson - All For You
Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink featuring Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliot - Lady Marmalade
Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliot - Get Ur Freak On

BEST GROUP VIDEO
U2 - Elevation Remix
N'Sync - Pop
Destiny's Child - Survivor
Incubus - Drive
Dave Matthew's Band - I Did It

BEST VIDEO FROM A FILM
U2 - Elevation Remix (Tomb Raider)
Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink featuring Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliot - Lady Marmalade (Moulin Rouge)
Destiny's Child - Independent Woman Part I (Charlie's Angels)
K-Ci & JoJo - Crazy (Save The Last Dance)
DMX - No Sunshine (Exit Wounds)

BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS
U2 - Elevation Remix
Robbie Williams - Rock DJ

BEST EDITING
U2 - Elevation Remix
N'Sync - Pop

--------------------------------------

My predictions are that U2 will probably only take home one or two awards - for best special effects and for best editing. They MIGHT take home best group video, but that's a tough one, tough competition in that category. I'd say that video of the year will go to Eminem for "Stan", and best video from a movie will probably be either Lady Marmalade or the Destiny's Child song. Those are my predictions.

What are yours?

[This message has been edited by Zoocoustic (edited 09-06-2001).]

BEST SPECIAL EFFECTS

Oh, now that is sad....there is a single, run-of-the-mill effect in the entire video, where he jumps off of the balcony. BFD.

There is nothing special about it and it isn't even done very well. His mid-air turn isn't done very smoothly.

Video of the Year will almost assuradly go to "Weapon of Choice." If not, I expect U2 to pick it up.

Group video could be any of the first three, but I wouldn't hazzard a guess.

Video from a film looks like "Lady Marmalade" to me.

"Elevation" should win for effects and probably editing, although "Pop" or "Get Ur Freak On" could sneak in there.

There's a pretty big contingent for "Weapon of Choice," but while I would be okay with it winning the big one (its just that funny), DoctorGonzo is right when he says that it certainly isn't the best effects. Frankly, it doesn't do many things as well as the videos its up against, but I suppose I wouldn't be stunned to see it win about everything.

Ok - here are my predictions. Though I am holding out hope that U2 will sweep
biggrin.gif
I wonder if Edge will wear #5 tonite - lol - anyway here are my predictions:

Best Video - Fat Boy Slim
Best Group Video - U2
Best Film Video - U2
Special Effects - Robbie Williams (its gross - but good)
Editing - Missy Elliot

I think if U2 won for editing it would be quite ironic - especially since they thought it was crap the first go around and told him to clean it up! But hey - I'll take it!

------------------
...Its no secret that a liar won't believe in anyone else...

I predict NSuck will fall off the stage while performing therefore never being able to sing ever again.

yelrotflmao.gif

------------------
Got The Swing Got The Sway
Got My Straw In Lemonade

Sicy's Website

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
I predict NSuck will fall off the stage while performing therefore never being able to sing ever again.

You're way wrong.

They'll be eaten by those cheetas Britney has lined up for her performance.
biggrin.gif

I am very proud to announce (and I may have announced this before, but hell that's how proud I am
biggrin.gif
) that I have managed to avoid every single N'Suck song.

Not an N'Stinky note/lyric/drumbeat has passed my ears.

And, somehow, I don't feel my life is lacking anything for it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It's now some three hours before showtime, so here are my calls: who I would like to win and who should win (merit-wise), and who will probably win.

(And I'm not exactly optimistic about MTV's aesthetic tastes.
smile.gif
)

VIDEO OF THE YEAR

Personal Choice: Beautiful Day (duh)

Should Win: Beautiful Day or Stan - BD is a glorious video of a great song that heralds our boys' return to the top; Stan is a chilling protrayal of fan obsession that marks Eminem's first attempt serious artistic expression and the "arrival" of one of my favorite new artists, Dido.

Will Win: Stan or Weapon of Choice - Stan really is good, but everyone seems nuts over Weapon of Choice (a good, funny video, but it already seems tired).

GROUP VIDEO

Personal Choice: Elevation (which makes me wonder, if BD is one of the best videos of the year, why isn't it one of the best "group videos"?)

Should Win: Elevation - at least for U2, it's a genuinely different video; beyond that, it's fun and over-the-top. Survivor and POP are also well made, but par for the course for both artists. And Drive is boring and I Did It is pointless.

Will Win: Elevation or Survivor. (I would think POP, but it hasn't yet caught on with the culture BEYOND the teeny-bopper demographic.)

VIDEO FROM A FILM

Personal Choice: Elevation.

Should Win: Elevation or Independent Women I. Crazy is good, but nothing new. And Christina Aguilera's hair in Lady Marmalade should disqualify the video immediately.

Will Win: Elevation or Lady Marmalade. Aguilera's hair *should* disqualify the video, but it wont; and the joining of hip-hop (Li'l Kim), pop (Mya, Pink), and teen pop (Aguilera) is too attractive for the voters.

SPECIAL EFFECTS

Personal choice: Elevation.

Should win: Elevation. As mentioned before, Weapon of Choice has but one common effect, and Get Ur Freak On has few effects that aren't that difficult or impressive. Sick as it is, Rock DJ is impressive. But the one shot in Elevation (the exploding car behind Bono during the bridge) should earn this award. Throw in the auto-piloted motorcycle, the Edge appearing in the film clips, the floating truck and elephant, AND the still-action shots, and you have yourselves a winner.

WILL WIN: Elevation. U2's dominance is too clear-cut in this one.

BEST EDITING

Personal Choice: Elevation.
biggrin.gif

Should Win: Elevation or POP - POP genuinely has good editing from shot to shot, including that clothes-changing dance toward the end. And the editing in Elevation is seamless enough to not notice, which is the whole idea.

Will Win: POP - N*Sync actually won't win much, so throw them this bone.

So, by my estimates, U2 should win more or less two awards.

Oh, and I'm pulling for R.E.M. for Breakthrough Video (Imitation of Life) and Coldplay and David Gray for best new artist.

In fact, Coldplay and David Gray should share the award.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

AS ARE WE ALL.

In the worst case, they win nothing. At that point, we can expound on differences of taste, intelligence, and common sense found in the Grammy's and in the VMA's.

And I already have my insult for MTV:

"Bah! Pearls before swine!"

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Originally posted by anitram:

How do you do it? Do you live outside of the US?

Sure do, it's one of the many advantages of living in the little old UK. They've probably had a "hit" over here but I'm just natuarlly adept at avoiding shite music. My ears obviously have a survival instinct that I'm not aware of

Originally posted by Bonovation:
Not an N'Stinky note/lyric/drumbeat has passed my ears.

How do you do it? Do you live outside of the US?

Oh, and I unfortunately heard it will be Britney closing the show, probably parading around with the cheetas.

Hopefully this is just a rumor. Or U2 goes right before her, and her floor-humping becomes dedidedly anti-climactic. (all puns intended)

Back
Top Bottom