2 types of fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalkOn21

Refugee
Why won't some people understand there are 2 types of U2 fans?

'old' fans
They DON'T like October, Pop, ATYCLB

'new' fans
They DO like October, Pop, ATYCLB

For example, I just read somebody here on the forum saying "all fans will agree with me if I say ATYCLB sucks". I mean, c'mon! I can count myself to the 'new' fans, since I became a fan in 2000, and I happen to like ATYCLB.

Is it so hard to understand that "a real fan" doesn't necessarily have to be an 'old' fan? :shrug:

What does October have to do with it? Not trying to argue, just curious.

I'm an old fan, and I like POP and ATYCLB.

I only like a few tunes from october.

Actually, I would say that there are millions of types of U2 fans, everyone is different. It is dangerous to bucket people into groups. Though I agree that a "real fan" does not have to be an "old fan".

I don't see those types, these are the ones I see:

"Old" fans who like 80's, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and don't like Pop and Zooropa.

"New" fans who only like AB, Zooropa and Pop and hate evertything else.

"New" fans who like everything

"Old" fans who like everything

bsp77 said:
I agree that a "real fan" does not have to be an "old fan".

I do too, I don't believe there is any such thing as a 'real' fan bringing it up only causes fights.

ah, yet another 'fan' definition. good times. :rolleyes:

anyone who enjoys u2's music, be it 'boy' or 'all that you can't leave behind', or whatever, qualifies as a 'fan'. we're all individuals, that's why we have such diverse tastes even within the u2 catalogue, and we don't fit neatly into categories.

U2Kitten said:

I do too, I don't believe there is any such thing as a 'real' fan bringing it up only causes fights.

Speaking of which - truce? I do not want to fight anymore, I never meant any of it personally.

bsp77 said:

Hey, my arguing with you, made me a War Child. Thanks!:hug:

Congrats :hug: Keep posting you've got a long way to go! Sometimes the only reason I don't leave this forum is because I don't want to give up my lifetime achievement high post count :lol: :der:

I don't understand why you would say "old" fans wouldn't like October. It was their 2nd album. And ATYCLB sounds more like 80s U2 than 90s U2, for certain.

The only album I don't like is Pop.
I never listen to Achtung Baby anymore, but I liked it when it first came out.
I actually listen to Zooropa quite a bit.

The OOTS said:
I'm an old fan and I like ALL the albums.
I just have to be in a 'mood' to enjoy some of them.

You hit the nail right on the head. I am an old fan and I love *all* of their albums precisely because of the different moods they elicit.

I couldn't listen to October for the longest time because it was too slow for me. I rediscovered it about a month ago and I love it. I have to say that listening to October is a lot like reading Virginia Woolf. You dislike them when you first encounter them because you don't understand what they are saying and are too impatient to figure it out. Then you bump into them later on in life, and it's amore. :)

angel_of_L.A. said:

I couldn't listen to October for the longest time because it was too slow for me. I rediscovered it about a month ago and I love it. I have to say that listening to October is a lot like reading Virginia Woolf. You dislike them when you first encounter them because you don't understand what they are saying and are too impatient to figure it out. Then you bump into them later on in life, and it's amore. :)

October was the first U2 album I ever heard, way back in 83 or 84. I loved it immediately, despite (or because of) the fact that it was unlike anty rock music I had ever heard. Up to that point, I was mainly a pop music fan, and UI2 was nothing like pop music.

October remains my fave U2 album to this day.

Here's my current ranking (from fave to least) of the non-live and hits albums:

1.October
2.ATYCLB
3. TUF
4. ...Bomb
5.War
6.JT
7.Boy
8.Rattle And Hum
9.Achtung Baby
10.Zooropa
11.Pop (I don't really like this album at all)

WalkOn21 said:
For example, I just read somebody here on the forum saying "all fans will agree with me if I say ATYCLB sucks".

:laugh:

While there is a 90's U2 bias on this forum, that doesn't mean younger fans don't like ATYCLB. Or HTDAAB.
Or that older fans don't like POP.

I'm new fan and i don't like october and Rattle & Hum.
But there are so many of us, and that's wxy you can't stircly separate ones from others, man!!c'mon
TASTE ISN'T ARGUEABLE!!

What about the fans who love all the records till Million Dollar Hotel but are not fond of ATYCLB and HTDAAB like me?

I grew up on U2, like every single album, and worship HTDAAB and what they made in the eighties. What does that make me? An Axver-style fan, of course.

WalkOn21 said:
Why won't some people understand there are 2 types of U2 fans?

'old' fans
They DON'T like October, Pop, ATYCLB

'new' fans
They DO like October, Pop, ATYCLB

For example, I just read somebody here on the forum saying "all fans will agree with me if I say ATYCLB sucks". I mean, c'mon! I can count myself to the 'new' fans, since I became a fan in 2000, and I happen to like ATYCLB.

Is it so hard to understand that "a real fan" doesn't necessarily have to be an 'old' fan? :shrug:

Hey don't understand this. You have lumped the verrrrrrrrry safe ATYCLB with the verrrrrrrrrrrry exciting POP. The two types of fans are mainly group B 80's & 00's, and Group A the "real" 90's fans!

Back
Top Bottom