2 Simple Obsvervations on Vertigo Chicago DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
Here are 2 observations that I've made after watching the new DVD...sorry if these have been discussed elsewhere, but I didn't see any threads on it.

1. When Larry sings, he looks like he's sooo into the show and having a blast. Other than when he is singing, he looks like he is in so much pain. I've never noticed him grimace so much as he does now. Yes, I know that it's been well documented that he is having arm pain and possibly still some back pain. But for heaven's sake, stop doing all of these close ups on him where he looks like he's going to keel over from pain.

2. What is the fascination with close ups of Bono's hands? There were a good half dozen shots of JUST his hands....I know that Bono is "posing" and he is being portrayed as a "christ like" figure and doing things with his hands, but do we really need ALL of those close ups on his hands?

Other than that, the DVD is fantastic.

LOVE OOTS !!

PS, if Chizip reads this, is that you 2nd on line outside of the venue?

I hate the camera angles in this DVD, MTV style .:down:. . They do some unecessary close ups, like Bono´s hands, and they are always changing scenes every 5 seconds and I can´t focus on the show.
Watching Edge´s gear was nice though.

Another thing is the day chosen for this DVD. Why couldnt they choose an European gig where the crowd is a hundred times better and because the band is more energetic?? Sure it was Bono´s birthday, but he wasnt doing his best. "I have a frog in my throat" was funny and it shows he is human, but Bono didnt make up for it the rest of the show.

I hope there is a second DVD like Slane. Better is always welcome.

I enjoy the DVD even with its flaws. I was just hyped.

Smilla said:
I love the dvd, but hate the cuts.

i always have the feeling that Larry is annoyed by Bono...

:lmao:

especially when in Electric Co Bono hits a cymbal with the mic... Larry gives him a look that's so funny... like "get out of here" :laugh:

I have to say I haven't seen it yet but even if you look at the ZooTV video you can see Larry grimacing a bit too.

financeguy said:
I have to say I haven't seen it yet but even if you look at the ZooTV video you can see Larry grimacing a bit too.

Never really noticed it as much on ZooTv...

but it's real obvious now.

About Larry's grimacing, I've noticed that it's more intense now, too... and I think that Larry even made mention of his "painful" appearance while playing in a recent interview... I don't remember which one it was though :huh:

Achtung_Bebe said:
About Larry's grimacing, I've noticed that it's more intense now, too... and I think that Larry even made mention of his "painful" appearance while playing in a recent interview... I don't remember which one it was though :huh:

It was when U2 were on 60 Minutes last month, the Sunday before Thanksgiving I think.

I wish they'd do closeups on Edge's hands more often while he's playing guitar, or Adam's hands while he's playing bass. Too often U2 concert DVDs/Videos become 'The Bono Show'.

pepokiss said:

especially when in Electric Co Bono hits a cymbal with the mic... Larry gives him a look that's so funny... like "get out of here" :laugh:

I thought the saem thing...cos Larry kinda looks around like, 'what the f*ck are you doing?'. I hadn't noticed the grimacing, though.

I wish they'd show more of the others as well - especially during An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart - but Bono stole the show during that.

Seems like I remember Larry saying on Conan that he knows he's not a very good drummer and thats why he makes all the pained faces, cant remember if its because he knows he's bad or he's concentrating so hard.

pepokiss said:

Next to the "Hey Edge... beach ball..." it's the funniest U2 moment on any DVD yet.

namkcuR said:
I wish they'd do closeups on Edge's hands more often while he's playing guitar, or Adam's hands while he's playing bass. Too often U2 concert DVDs/Videos become 'The Bono Show'.

I agree. :up:

I loved the cymbal thing! :laugh:

Bono's voice did seem a little rough to me, but only at the beginning. He seemed to do well for the rest of the show. I watched Boston shortly after seeing Chicago, and I was a little surprised: Bono's voice seemed to sound worse on the Boston DVD than it does on Chicago. Then I remembered how he said that his dad "gave" him his voice when he died and how he can sing better now than he has in a long time. I think Bono may have something there.

And I can't understand why people complain so much about Chicago. I thought it was fantastic! And, besides, they filmed Milan, so you know it's gonna be out someday. Slane came out two years after Boston. We may have to wait awhile, but I'm sure we'll get our European stadium show eventually.

Rachel D. said:
I loved the cymbal thing! :laugh:

Bono's voice did seem a little rough to me, but only at the beginning. He seemed to do well for the rest of the show. I watched Boston shortly after seeing Chicago, and I was a little surprised: Bono's voice seemed to sound worse on the Boston DVD than it does on Chicago. Then I remembered how he said that his dad "gave" him his voice when he died and how he can sing better now than he has in a long time. I think Bono may have something there.

And I can't understand why people complain so much about Chicago. I thought it was fantastic! And, besides, they filmed Milan, so you know it's gonna be out someday. Slane came out two years after Boston. We may have to wait awhile, but I'm sure we'll get our European stadium show eventually.
:up: there so much "special" U2 moments in the chigago DVO than in ANY other DVD

KUEFC09U2 said:
:up: there so much "special" U2 moments in the chigago DVO than in ANY other DVD

Are you trying to say there are more 'special' moments in the Chicago DVD than in any of U2's other DVD/VHS releases? Because if you are, I completely disagree in more ways than I wish to list. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Chicago DVD a LOT, but the 'special' factor is much stronger for me in some of the other ones.

KUEFC09U2 said:

Um...are you completely forgetting about Slane? Rattle & Hum?

katrina. how did bono know about katrina back in may?
(ref: "i want to take shelter, from the hurricane")

Last edited:
The only thing that really bugged me on this DVD was when Edge was going off to do his Electric Co solo, which is :combust: they kept switching back to showing Bono throwing water and wandering around the stage. I didn't really think that was necessary, but whatever.

GibsonGirl said:

Um...are you completely forgetting about Slane? Rattle & Hum?

here we go again....
let the dude have his opinion. it's ok if this is someone's favorite.

I know when I concentrate on guitar, I look like I'm trying to lay an egg

so Larry could look the same when he's trying to drum.

and the Chicago DVD is great, a bit choppy at parts but overall is great. Can't wait til Sydney and Mexico hit DVD, I will be on those like vomit on the floor of Tara Reid's car

Numb1075 said:

PS, if Chizip reads this, is that you 2nd on line outside of the venue?

i was 3rd in line. when you see me im looking a little pissed cause i had been in line since 10:30am the day before and the damn interview was delaying us getting in

cap010.jpg

Heh. Larry /is/ funny when he decides to actually have an expression. He should have fried Bono with that look. Kind of steely and flat. "I am going to hurt you, Bono. Ten feet, right now. Ten."
ETA: Bono had lost his voice the previous night on the Boston CD; he mentioned it. BTW, I happen to /love/ the live versions of Desire and In a Little While. Bono was all thuggy withthose two. Somehow I hadn't noticed Edge has this sweet tenor until then. LIke diamonds. He should sing more often. Can't stand his falsetto (it's too piercing) but his natural voice is beautiful.
Come to think of it, I'd love to hear Larry sing.
Heck, I'd like to hear him speak more than three words at a time, rankly.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the angle when it shows Bono starting to hit the floor tom at the tip of the Elipse or whatever its called during Love and Peace. And he has the CoExist Headband on. It kind of pans across him. Really cool. Did anyone notice how terribly offtime he starts getting though. I hope its because it was the end of the song and it was supposed to be and not because Bono was being a fool and just totally ignoring the rest of the band.

Being my only outlet to seeing U2, I love the DVD's... so far my least favourite(I haven't had time to watch it all yet) is the Boston one just because of the arena... it seems so dark and uncomfortable (compared to the open Slane or the glowing lights of Chicago)

It could be me though. Maybe I'm crazy.

And so it was Larry singing during Elevation. I think he sings in Love and Peace, and there is this cool 'lower' shouting kind of voice whenever Bono goes up to Larry with the mic but I'm not sure if its Bono or Larry.

when i mentioned "special" U2 moments, i meant stuff like the hand shake between edge and adam just after into the heart, the rocking out between edge and adam during New years day, adam and bono during streets, stuff like that, and if anyone else has seen such a handshake between edge and adam after a song then i would like to know

sorry i had a different opinion to some people

KUEFC09U2 said:
when i mentioned "special" U2 moments, i meant stuff like the hand shake between edge and adam just after into the heart, the rocking out between edge and adam during New years day, adam and bono during streets, stuff like that, and if anyone else has seen such a handshake between edge and adam after a song then i would like to know

sorry i had a different opinion to some people

Actually, I thought the same thing when I saw this dvd. All the cool little band interaction moments were great. I haven't watched some of the others in awhile, but the only one that comes close for that sort of thing for me is Slane.

Shaliz said:

Actually, I thought the same thing when I saw this dvd. All the cool little band interaction moments were great. I haven't watched some of the others in awhile, but the only one that comes close for that sort of thing for me is Slane.
but even to me seeing adam and edge shaking hands like that in a sort of "well done" kind of way, was something i have NEVER seen before,

why is it some people try and make you out to be bad because you dont have the same opinion as them

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom