1990s U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
discotheque= stupid
do you feel loved = nausea inducing
mofo = worst sound I ever heard
if god will send his angels =okay
staring at the sun = beautiful
last night on earth = okay
gone = excellent
miami = weak
the playboy mansion = weak
if you wear that velvet dress = boring whisper
please = okay
wake up dead man = strong

Pop= 50% decent, 50% junk

The reason it's so defended here is that those who love it really love it, and it upsets them so much that others don't they have to justify this by saying those who don't are lacking and don't 'get' it, if they 'give it one more spin' it will suddenly become good, and if that fails, they were just too stupid to see the genius in it. It reminds me of "The Emperor's New Clothes," how no one would admit he was naked because they didn't want to be the stupid one but everyone knew it. Some people feel obligated to defend it like a mother bear over her ugliest retarded child they love so much but others diss. But in the end, it really doesn't matter who likes what. There is nothing wrong with you if you like it, there is nothing wrong with you if you don't! But there is nothing special about you if you do.

It's just an album! Think of every band you like or ever liked. Aren't there songs and albums you like, and those you don't care for? Sure! And it's no big deal, right? Then why is it with U2 and Pop? :shrug: :huh:

RocknRollKitty said:
discotheque= stupid
do you feel loved = nausea inducing
mofo = worst sound I ever heard
if god will send his angels =okay
staring at the sun = beautiful
last night on earth = okay
gone = excellent
miami = weak
the playboy mansion = weak
if you wear that velvet dress = boring whisper
please = okay
wake up dead man = strong

Pop= 50% decent, 50% junk

The reason it's so defended here is that those who love it really love it, and it upsets them so much that others don't they have to justify this by saying those who don't are lacking and don't 'get' it, if they 'give it one more spin' it will suddenly become good, and if that fails, they were just too stupid to see the genius in it. It reminds me of "The Emperor's New Clothes," how no one would admit he was naked because they didn't want to be the stupid one but everyone knew it. Some people feel obligated to defend it like a mother bear over her ugliest retarded child they love so much but others diss. But in the end, it really doesn't matter who likes what. There is nothing wrong with you if you like it, there is nothing wrong with you if you don't! But there is nothing special about you if you do.

It's just an album! Think of every band you like or ever liked. Aren't there songs and albums you like, and those you don't care for? Sure! And it's no big deal, right? Then why is it with U2 and Pop? :shrug: :huh:

Because no one says anything bad about the 90's/Pop in this forum and gets away with it! :mad: :wink:

Honestly it's just the whole vocal minority. Less people like Pop so the people that DO like it feel the need to over compensate. The Joshua Tree is there best album (not even debatable, critically/sales/popularity) and if someone came to this forum without knowing who u2 was, they would leave not even knowing about the album because no one talks about it here.

It's ok that Pop was a decent (not amazing) album. Every bad has an album that is thought of as their worst. Pop is considered to be one of U2's. If it was SOOOO amazing, and SOOOO original and SOOOO strong, then why didn't it sell, why doesn't anyone but the Pop diehards see it as perfection now? Because it isn't. No amount of time and history flying by is going to suddenly transform that album into the godlike creation so many believe it to be today. I'm sorry but that's just my opinion.

I think Pop's most fervent critics under-rate it and its most fervent defenders over-rate it. It's alright, but I personally rank it only third of the nineties studio albums.

I don't much care for Playboy Mansions and Miami - I think they could have left those off and made them B-Side. All the other tracks are very good thogh and some are brilliant.

Last edited:
And yes part of it is a reaction to the band slagging off the album. Of course when it was first released they called it their most vital album yet.

financeguy said:
I think Pop's most fervent critics under-rate it and its most fervent defenders over-rate it. It's alright, but I personally rank it only third of the nineties studio albums.
Although Pop is one of my favourites personally, I pretty much agree with that (except for the last bit, my favourite out of the 90's trio changes regularly).

HelloAngel said:

SPIN doesn't know its arse from a hole in the ground and has ceased being a magazine that stands for something important, other than whenever Klosterman weighs in on something, or when they put the Pixies on the cover. :)

Chuck Klosterman is the only reason I will buy that magazine.

Back
Top Bottom