11 O'Clock Tick Tock- studio version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
how do you folks like the studio version of 11 o'clock? I think it has a much more raw and urgent sound than the live, but it's lacks some of the finesses with which it was peformed. Also, while I really love the drums, bono irks me here. The first verse is weird, changing halfway through for the better. But the rest of the song he sounds great. The only thing I'd really change is to add the grandfather clock guitar solo.

11 O'clock Tick Tock is my favourite song (not best; favourite), but I honestly feel that the studio version is not even remotely as good as any of the live versions. I feel that U2 were simply trying too hard in the studio.

Agree with Axver. All the live versions ive heard have been great, but I havent heard any from the Elevation Tour, and im sure they did the song a few times there.

Well this was U2's first single release on a major label, but the problem with the song isn't that U2 was trying too hard, but the fact that Martin Hannett, who produce the single put his stamp on the song. Hannett also produced Joy Division and was slated to produce the first U2 album, but Ian Curtis' death (Joy Division's singer) set him back, and set U2 on the path to Steve Lillywhite.

Imagine the "Boy" album with an 11 O'clock Tick Tock production?

the quality of that studio version is not so good , the red rocks version is short , the best one was played during the gigs in 1981/80 .

Tombola said:
Could someone send me the studio version please?
i e-mailed it to you. :D

btw, i LOVE the studio version. it's great live too. they're kinda different, so it's really hard to compare. but i love it when their songs take on a life of its own live. :up:

oh, also love martin hannet's work...with U2 and joy division. :up: :up:

Last edited:
I think Axver pretty much summed it up about the studio version. 11 O'Clock is nowhere near my favorite U2 song though.

Don't forget about the extended studio version which can be found on the blue Pride 12" (1984). Rather than extended it's actually more like the full version while the one on the 1980 single is edited at the start and end.

Another twist in this merry discussion would be to mention "Silver Lining", the song's first title and with different lyrics.

ewen said:
Another twist in this merry discussion would be to mention "Silver Lining", the song's first title and with different lyrics.
yeah. and the b-side also with a different title and lyrics (was originally "trevor," but became "touch").

I have a bootleg with Silver Lining on it. It's kind of interesting. Not too sure on the lyrics, the quality isn't great, but it's good enough. I bet if I listened I could get the lyrics.

Silver Lining Lyrics

Silver Lining Lyrics

Call outside
Can anybody hear the call
But I see something outside
And at least you hear my call

Take me silver lining
Take me on my own
Take me silver lining
Take me from my home

I wait in the hall
I can see you crawl
You're always reaching for everything
Forever by yourself

Take me silver lining
Take me on my own
Take me silver lining
Teach him on his own

Say so, say so
Say so, say so
Say so, say so
Say so, say so

You call my name
But I can't see you calling
We always wish to be there
I can't hold on to be strong

Take me silver lining
Take me on my own
Take me silver lining
As the garden grows

Say so, say so
Say so, say so
Say so, say so
Say so, say so

Call out my name
Call out to him
Call out to him

Now, I more than likely got a lot of this wrong for a few reasons -

1. He is Irish and I am American, so someone who is British or Irish may hear what he is saying better than I can because of the timbre in the voices.

2. The quality of the bootleg is mediocre, so it's hard to hear at times.

3. From my experience of listening to early boots, Bono has a hard time enunciating while he sings. Thank God he got better with practice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom