10 Years in POP - 03.03.1997-03.03.2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacobus

Refugee
tomorrow 03.03.2007 its 10 years now since POP U2s most polarizing album has been released. it has been a 7 years hate-love affair for me...but 3 years ago it clicked....
POP imo is the raw diamond in the U2 catalogue...its a great album
:rockon: :applaud: :bow:

:grumpy: you stole my thread idea, I was gonna post this tomorrow!

:drool: One of the coolest U2 records, and the most hillarious tour ever...

Despite my numerous statesments about the many problems with this album, it's still a U2 album, and I love it. There is some killer music there. Happy birthday Pop.

Yep still my favorite U2 album.

If the album would have just contained Please it would still have been my favorite. :drool:

Happy birthday, POP! I remember buying the album the Friday before it officially came out. I had the luxury of listening to it all weekend and knowing it by heart by the time it went on sale in the US on that Tuesday. Oh yes, there was a mom and pop record store that used to sell the albums before they officially came out.

That was the album that got me hooked into U2. Great songs and great concept!

boomcha_comp.gif

If there was one tour that I could go back in time and see, it would be a Popmart show. Unfortunately I was like 8 or 9 and I seriously doubt that my parents would have let me go.

fear_nothing said:
boomcha_comp.gif

If there was one tour that I could go back in time and see, it would be a Popmart show. Unfortunately I was like 8 or 9 and I seriously doubt that my parents would have let me go.

Agreed :wink: I was.. :hmm: 7 or 8...

Love Pop. I wasn't into U2 when it came out (i was 9!), and when i bought it and first listened to it i hated it.

One day it clicked with me and its right up there as one of my absolute favourites.

Pop is probably my second favorite U2 album. (Behind AB)

We should put a poll up seeing what people here think about Pop. (I'm unable to do so myself, but I'll vote.)

It actually was first released in Japan in late February 1997, so it technically has already passed it's 10 year birthday.

I was so unsure about this album because of the bad rap it and the tour (which I went to and loved, BTW) got, but "Pop" got under my skin in the best possible way and is one of my true faves. ¡Viva Pop!

Nearly ten years ago to this day i was in Seoul and i had just bought the Pop cd, i carried it into a little hole in the wall bar that overlooked Yongsan and Seoul where i planned on having a few drinks with a friend. The youthful bartender served us up some brew and then asked me "what i had in the bag?". I told him it was the brand new u2 cd and he insisted i unwrap it so he could play it while we sat there and drank. So, there my friend and i discovered MOFO for the first time in a crazy little bar while getting an afternoon buzz and watching massive traffic jams on the streets below us. The horns from the traffic outside along with the angry Korean drivers cursing in their native tongue was a nice complement to the apocalyptic sound blaring from the speakers of the pub.

It was quite surreal, if i can overuse that

Yep...I dig Pop. Their last balls to the wall album and tour with any spunk. I like the last 2 albums...but Pop is the last album that I love.

Happy birthday Pop.

The lost gem in U2 history...with songs as good as "Gone" "Please" and "Wake Up Dead Man" how could anyone not give it the credit it deserves.

I love Pop now, it's not my favorite u2 album but I'm getting to appreciate it more and more as the years go by.

It's funny, because while I very clearly remember when and where I first bought most of their other albums, Pop coming out doesn't seem to have made as much as a blip on the radar on my memory. Maybe it's because I had a newborn baby this time 10 years ago, but I don't have any recollection of knowing about Pop, hearing any of the songs, or buying the album. None. :reject:

their last ROCK album (as opposed to their last album with a rock song on it)

:rockon:

Something like "Gone" makes the whole contrived foray into "electronic" music worth the mis-steps.
It blends the studio beats and heart of song into a perfect concoction. It really is a band hitting on all
cylinders. I can't believe that tune is 10 years old. Seems like just the other day I was recording it off
the radio and playing it on my walkman.
Rewinding and playing it again on my walkman.
Rewinding and playing it again on my walkman...

I can't believe its been 10 years. I saw them twice at Giant stadium once on the floor but way back and then in the 100 sections. I was very caught up with being a new mom I feel like I missed part of that era.

I remember I purchased POP from Costco. I went a day too early, not knowing about the Tuesday thing in America, and was so disappointed I had to wait another day. I was at one of those shows at Giant Stadium too, JC. The Saturday night one.
It was incredible. They were very good that night. The crowd loved it. I loved it. I love POP!

I don't think I can remember buying Pop. I'm sure I must have bought it the day it came out ...

I remember getting Achtung Baby, Zooropa, ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but not poor Pop.

The original has the potential to be great, but for me is not.

The redone versions of Please, If God Will Send His Angels, and Last Night on Earth mixed North and South of the River and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me make Pop U2's 3rd greatest album behind The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby.

1. Mofo ("motherfucking rock and roll", none of that sucking nonsense
2. Discotheque (no swirl intro)
3. Do You Feel Loved
4. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
5. Staring at the Sun
6. Last Night on Earth (Single, but with the album intro)
7. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
8. Gone
9. Miami (more like the live version)
10. The Playboy Mansion
11. If God Will Send His Angels (Single)
12. Wake Up Dead Man
13. Please (Single)
14. North and South of the River

How can you beat this album?

Last edited:
this thread needs more:drool: :drool:

Gone :rockon:

and how awesome is if god will send his angels.....terribly underrated song :mad:

POP:drool:

second best album of 1997 :heart:

Back
Top Bottom