10 years down the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Simon_DK

The Fly
I've been a U2 fan for 10 years now, and they're still my favorite band. Ever since I saw a TV add for The Best Of 1980-1990, I've been hanging on them, in rain and snow. And what a greater way to celebrate this anniversary than to have the first 3 album remastered with bonus tracks and all, I was wondering how to celebrate it, but this must be the way.
Just wanted to share with all you other true believers out there. Oh and by the way, if there's anyone else who has a U2 fan anniversarry this year, please write and share your story about how and when you discovered this fantastic band. :D

April 1st was my 13 year anniversary of being a fan. Since I'm 26, that marked basically half my life as being a U2 fan. There have been old classmates who have found me on MySpace and have said things like, "It's good to see you still like U2. Some things don't change!" I like being identified as a U2 fan, it's a good thing to be known and remembered as.

I too, became a fan when I bought the best of 1980-1990 (although I can remember being very young and being fascinated at the cover art of achtung baby when my sister bought it.) After that, I bought ATYCLB. That album is very special to me, because right after I bought it, my grandfather became sick with pneumonia and died not too long he was diagnosed. That album helped me through the grieving process (especially the song Kite.) Anyway that's kinda my story how I started liking U2.

21 years in for me! Jesus that makes me feel old! Still remember getting the Joshua Tree gatefold vinyl as a teenager and my musical landscape changing forever. This band have soundtracked my entire adult life. Good times and bad... :love:

5 years for me :)
Heard 'Still Haven't Found...' on the radio and something just made me jump on. Bought the Best of 1980-1990 not too long after that.

Now I'm an addict :D

I've maintained the "DESIRE" since 1988 when I first heard/saw the 'Hollywood Remix'....
For 'LOVE "&" MONEY'...20 years now & tens of thousands on this addiction yet worth every moment/cent

ehhh...
I saw the Hattem I Will Follow in 1983, so that's 25 years of following.
I became a collector in 1987, and first saw them live, since then they are in my top list..

:wave:

My God, it's about 23 years for me. I have been an addict that long!!
Couple of shakey years recently with the last two albums but my love is still there, it's being rekindled big time at the moment, have very high hopes for the next album!!

27 years this year for me. U2 are the most stable thing in my life. My brother had Boy on cassette and i was fascinated with the start of Electric Co, thinking it was just about the coolest thing i ever heard. Then discovered A Day Without Me, and the rest is history.
As with Gav...the last two albums havent supplied quite the excitement of the past.....but they still my boys!

Its been 16 years for me. Half my life almost. I remember hearing The Fly in an underage night club back in 1991 or 1992 not sure but when it was first released in Australia. The night club kept on playing The Fly throughout the night and the girl I was with on the night loved the song. I remember telling her the song was shite. I really couldn't stand the song at the time. A few months later I bought Achtung Baby because my friends liked U2 and I thought I might try them out. From then on I fell in love with every song on the album...and yes The Fly is my favourite U2 song of all time.

27 years this year for me. U2 are the most stable thing in my life. My brother had Boy on cassette and i was fascinated with the start of Electric Co, thinking it was just about the coolest thing i ever heard. Then discovered A Day Without Me, and the rest is history.
As with Gav...the last two albums havent supplied quite the excitement of the past.....but they still my boys!

:wave:
Hi Gman, good to see you on here.
If you're ever down the dark streets of London, get in touch.

23 years on the next 13rd of July. I was luck to be watching live aid on TV... before that i only heard some vague things from older people about u2, and i was much in the typical pop scene from the 80's (wham, duran duran, etc...) ... i was immediately attracted by their entrance in the stage and the start of sunday bloody sunday... when bono returned to the stage after the leap i was already sure that they were the best band that ever walked the planet.

23 years on the next 13rd of July. I was luck to be watching live aid on TV... before that i only heard some vague things from older people about u2, and i was much in the typical pop scene from the 80's (wham, duran duran, etc...) ... i was immediately attracted by their entrance in the stage and the start of sunday bloody sunday... when bono returned to the stage after the leap i was already sure that they were the best band that ever walked the planet.

..and you were completely and utterly right !!!! :applaud:

the first song I ever heard from U2 was, oddly enough, "Hallelujah Here She Comes," and then it all started :)

I had always thought when I was young that Streets and I Still Haven't Found were performed by Bruce Springstein.

Never even heard of U2 until I found out who wrote that awesome song Pride!

It's about 17 years for me , I can still remember that it was a bright, sunny, cloudless morning, I was waiting for school bus, then saw Bono on TV smoking cigarettes and singing One, I was attracted by him (but I prefer Adam now :wink:), then became a fan. They are my all time favorite band , and I know my feelings for them will never change.can't wait for the new album:)

It'll be seven years for me this fall. Every year, when the weather gets chilly in the fall, it reawakens this sense of excitement about U2. (The fact that they often release new material at that time of year only reinforces this association!)

I think it's been 20 years for me :ohmy: I remember building up my U2 cassette tape collection by getting Boy, Unforgettable Fire, War and Rattle and Hum through the BMG music club. Those were the days...U2 got me through a whole lot of teen heartbreak and soul searching. They continued to punctuate my life thereafter, including my first date with my now-wife going to a Popmart show and going to the Vertigo show just days after my son's birth (loved that line from Miracle Drug "freedom has a scent/like the top of a newborn babys head").

11 years for me. Strangely enough it was Pop that made me a huge fan of this band. Although I did grow up with their music (didn't everyone in the 80's?) so I could almost say I've been a fan all my life :wink:

Back
Top Bottom