Zoomerang96's Music Challenge: 30 Of Your Favorite Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
Our amigo Zoomerang96 had a great idea. List some of your favorite songs,
and expose your Interference compatriots to some of your favorite music.
No U2. For the obvious reasons. We all know it.
This is a project in a sense, but worth the work.

Wanna actually HEAR this stuff?

Email: Brau1@yahoo.com

Use the subject "30 of Your Favorite Songs."

My reply will make this all very clear.

Then post your list. We wanna hear it.

30 Of My Favorite Songs

1. Mission Drive: The Wonder Stuff. 1991

Taken from their 1991 album, “Never Loved Elvis”, this track is all about angst and energy.
The very understated intro hides the frenzy that is about to come. The perfect song.

2. Learning To Fly: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. 1991

Clean and economical, it rides the same 4 chords through the whole song.
Uplifting and inspiring. The summer road song.

3. From The Bench At Belvidere: The Boo Radleys. 1995

One off single from 1995. Pop in it’s purest form. Everything just works toward the same goal:
making you bob your head with the beat.

4. New Generation: Suede. 1994

Pounding with a beautiful guitar line, Brett Anderson bellows a great vocal melody right into a semi R&B prechorus.
A yearning bleeds through the chorus, as Bernard Butler goes mad through a crescendo guitar solo that give me goose bumps.

5. Hung Up: Paul Weller. 1993

Album closer from 1993’s “Wild Wood.” It’s the perfect example of everything Weller does well.
Tradition English rock, with just a hint of soul. The bridge and solo are spectacular.

6. You Left The Water Running: Otis Redding. 1966

The greatest singer in history, fusing R&B, Rock, and Country.

7. Baby Won’t Ya: MC5. 1971

Raunchy rock and roll. It kicks your ass, and makes you go back to have it kicked again.
I want to scream.

8. While I’ve Got It On My Mind: Johnny Cash. 1974

Johnny wants to get laid. Everyone is out of the house, except for him and his wife.
Johnny is gonna get laid.

9. Joining A Fanclub: Jellyfish. 1993

Put Kiss,, Queen, The Beatles, & Badfinger in a blender. You get Joining a Fanclub.
The coolest song in the universe.

10. Come Anytime: The Hoodoo Gurus. 1989

My favorite Australian rock band. A groovy pop-rock ditty you can dance to.
David Faulkner has a great voice, and he goes from low to high all over this song.

11. Jupiter And Teardrop: Grant Lee Buffalo. 1993

Starts with a bang, then settles into a fine acoustic ballad with explosive bursts of fury.
Grant Lee Philips tells a great story of desperate and tragic love.

12. A New Decade: The Verve. 1995

A total sonic assault. Slow build into the most amazing guitar screams I’ve ever heard.
The slow rhythm just stretches your speakers and lets the guitar magic spread like wildfire.

13. Naked Girl: The Velvet Teen. 2001

Driving and propulsive rhythms. An immediate chorus. A beautiful bridge with nice harmonies,
all the while fueled by a passion that sets the Velvet Teen apart.

14. Sweet Thing: Van Morrison. 1968

Lilting guitar, percussive bass, and Van Morrison singing a beautiful song about living life.
It’ll make you want to walk outside in summer sunshine and soar everything up.

15. Metal Guru: T. Rex. 1972

Joyous, stomping glam-rock sing-along. It’s melody and spirit are infectious.

16. Faraway: Supergrass. 1999

Gentle intro for a more introspective Supergrass tune. It launches into a groove that moves
with the lyric. And the lyric is great:
“I Love my girl, and she love me, I won’t find another to sail my seas.”

17. Life By The Drop: Stevie Ray Vaughn. 1989

acoustic and voice. That’s it. A story of redemption and friendship that’s all the more
poignant with Stevie’s voice and guitar telling it.

18. Powderfinger(Live): Neil Young & Crazy Horse. 1989

A powerful tale, played by a band that knows how to flex their muscle. A guitar solo as
a chorus shouldn’t be so inspirational, but it is.

19. Listen to the Music: The Doobie Brothers. 1972

All I really have to say about it: It makes me really, really happy.

20. Drive In Saturday: David Bowie. 1973

A soul ballad, Doo -Wop beat and back-up vocal. Bowie’s finest songwriting. It just soothes.

21. Come On Let’s Go- Ritchie Valens. 1958

A 50’s classic. What a back beat! It just defines Rock & Roll for me. 2 minutes of bliss.

22. I Can’t Help You Anymore: Aimee Mann. 2005

Starts as what appears to be a reminiscent ballad, but as the lyric gets more desperate
the music comes out to meet it. She manages to fit 4 songs worth of melody into 1 tune.
And it’s all heartbreaking.

23. I’ll Be The One: Badfinger. 1971

Bouncing pop tune with a fluid guitar line that borders on honkey tonk.
These guys knew how to sing in harmony, and there’s no shortage of it here.

24. Simmer Down: Bob Marley. 1963

Early Marley. Sounds like 50’s R&B, but with a rhythmic bounce and flair all it’s own.
His voice just fills you up, in a tune that’s guarantees to make your toe tap.

25. Left Of The Dial: The Replacements. 1985

Earnest, raw, raging. That about sums this one up.

26. Everyday People: Sly And The Family Stone. 1969

Another song that just makes me happy. Lots of Sly songs do that to me.

27. Have You Ever Seen The Rain?: Credence Clearwater Revival. 1970

A really simple song. It cuts right to the emotional feel of the lyric. There’s no BS in it.
I was torn between the original and REM’s cover, but I’ll go with the ache in Fogerty’s voice.

28. Tellin Stories: The Charlatans. 1997

In the history of rock, I don’t think any band has gotten better and better with each record like The Charlatans have.
This is miles away from Manchester. Acoustic guitars, calm rhythm, into bursts of Zeppelinesque guitar and drums.
It all leads into an outro for the ages.

29. A Hard Rain’s Gonna Fall: Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians. 1989

I love their take on this Dylan tune. It’s total class.
Her voice is beautiful, and the band gives her enough room to allow the lyrics to
really shine through.

30. Thirteen: Big Star. 1972

The song and story are so delicate and beautiful you can’t help but get wrapped up in it.
Acoustic guitars and voice do more in this song than just about anything I’ve ever heard.
If you listen to this, you will be enchanted.

Last edited:
nice work. i want that supergrass and verve song...i can't believe i can't remember that one off hand. i thought i actually knew something about the verve. :|

wowowowoweee, brau. that's a kickass list. :up:

i need to get more familiar with the replacements and mc5.

mr. brau, the link for the supergrass song isn't working...7ust so you know.

and yes, you should fix it now.

My email: theatrefullofsadness@gmail.com

Use the same subject line.

1. Teenage Fanclub - 'Your Love Is The Place Where I Come From'
Undoubtedly one of the greatest pop songs ever written. It's so sweet and lovey-dovey, has a killer chorus, and some of the most fantastic harmonies you will ever hear on record.

2. The Oddfellows - 'So Happy' (live)
Apparently Singapore's best rock song. I don't have a copy of the studio version so this is from the rarities comp 'Bugs and Hisses'. It's garage-y and stuff. They played a gig at the library, of all places, and it was a fun, enjoyable show.

3. Belle & Sebastian - 'Like Dylan In The Movies'
Why I heart Belle & Sebastian. This was the first one I heard by them and it's probably still my favourite.

4. Blur - 'Young & Lovely'
This is a B-side (from the single to 'Chemical World'). It's classic mid-period Blur - Coxo's guitar is the star here, but so is the 'la la la' hook. Blur aren't as good a B-sides band as say, Suede or Oasis, but this is one of the really ace ones.

5. Die Toten Hosen - 'Bonny Und Clyde'
A naff little punkish-pop gem. It's unabashedly catchy, with a hilarious breakdown featuring a police siren of all things. A wee bit cheesy, yes, but very fun.

6. Garageland - 'You Will Never Cry Again'
I honestly can't tell you much about these fellas, apart from the fact they're from New Zealand, that 'Garageland' is a Clash song, and Neil Finn produced them. This song's pretty un-Finn though; it's a Big Rocker, but not like the Datsuns or something, in the sense it's actually good.

7. Johan - 'Everybody Knows'
Thanks to Popmartijn I now know Holland produces some of the best pop music in the world. This song is a bit dated in its mid-90s Foo Fighter-ness, but don't let that stop you from enjoying one of the best choruses ever written in pop music. Nice guitar as well.

8. Wilco - 'Remember The Mountain Bed'
I think I started a thread pimping this song a month or so ago. The lyrics (Woody Guthrie's, apparently) are fantastic, full of imagery, and Jeff Tweedy has this beautiful voice that can really convey the messages very well. It's actually Wilco & Billy Bragg, but Mr. Bragg does not appear at all on this recording so just Wilco then.

9. Manic Street Preachers - 'Automatik Teknicolour'
Another B-side (this time to 'There By The Grace Of God'). It's hardly the best Manics song, or even the best B-side, and it's got a stupid title (why, oh why, Nicky, can't you spell), and the lyrics are a bit crap, but it's got some of the best music they put down on record. The vibe is very New Order/Depeche Mode (in the sense it's 'rockin' dance music') and kinda foreshadows 2004's finest album bar none, 'Lifeblood'.

10. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - '(I'll Love You) 'Til The End Of The World'
On the 'Faraway, So Close!' soundtrack. It's a love song by a bombmaker. That's all you need to know.

11. Richard Thompson - 'I Feel So Good'
The greatest guitarist in rock history, and not a bad singer either. Awesome, awesome stuff.

12. Sui Generis - 'Cancion Para Mi Muerte'
Argentina's greatest rock band? There's some amazing stories about this group and their conflicts with the Argentinian government at the time, but anyway, this is a beautiful song. Fantastic guitar work, and it's got this heartbreaking, yearning quality about it. Good chorus too.

13. The Clash - 'Pressure Drop'
This is the old reggae song by The Maytals (which is worth seeking in its' own right, some wonderful harmonies there), given an amazing hard rock treatment. It's a lot, lot better than 'Police & Thieves' as well.

14. The Cure - 'Fire In Cairo'
Before those impossibly lush ballads, the Cure had a kind of nervy edginess to them. This song (like other early Cure songs) has a brilliantly ominous bassline, and it all sounds like it's going to collapse on them but they somehow keep it together.

15. The Roots feat. Cody Chestnutt- 'Seed 2.0'
One of my favourite songs of the past few years. It's really impossible not to dance to.

16. Velocity Girl - 'My Forgotten Favorite'
A forgotten favourite, indeed. It's actually on the soundtrack to the movie 'Clueless'. It's got layers and layers of fuzz which doesn't obscure the lovely vocals (or the song itself) but rather gives it this unique quality.

17. Beth Orton - 'I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine'
The fact Dido is more popular than Beth Orton is one of the reasons why the world sucks today. This is a fairly traditional reading of the old Ronnie Spector classic, just Orton on voice and guitar; it's absolutely heartbreaking. If you're familiar with the original, check this out; if you're not, then you'll find yourself listening to one of the saddest songs ever.

18. Primal Scream - 'Damaged'
This is a fairly straightforward, Stones-ish ballad, without any of the acid house leanings that permeate most of the other tracks on Screamadelica. It's really bluesey, and there's a magnificent guitar solo that shows the world how guitar solos ought to be done (ie. not wanky, like Pink Floyd).

19. New Order - '60 Miles An Hour'
From the very underrated Get Ready album. There's very little dance here; it's a plain rock monster. Sumner's lyrics are rubbish as usual but at least he sounds like he's having fun. I am too.

20. Mark Seymour & Paul Kelly - 'Hey Boys'
I bought this as a single for $1 (it's on the soundtrack to an obscure Australian film called 'Garbo'). Seymour, of course, is the lead singer of the Aussie legends Hunters & Collectors; Kelly is a distinguished singer/songwriter in his own right. Nick Seymour (Mark's brother and Crowded House member) is on bass while the Finn Brothers are on backing vocals. There's mandolin and violin on it. Can a song like this go wrong? Of course not.

21. Radiohead - 'Ripcord'
From their debut Pablo Honey. It's one of my favourite Radiohead songs, because I think it showcases Thom's singing voice perfectly.

22. St. Etienne - 'Heart Failed (In The Back Of A Taxi)'
A bit of a forgotten single now. It's one of their best pop singles, if a little cold compared to their early work. Still I love the images it conjours of late nights in some European cities. Don't we all?

23. The Delays - 'Long Time Coming'
The bloke in Southampton's Delays really is a bloke, although I mistook him for a woman at first). I can't tell you much about the band other than that (they're on a compilation that came with a magazine) but this song has a brilliantly driving rhythm and offers a lot more than say, Muse.

24. Magnetic Fields - 'All My Little Words'
It's criminal so few people on these boards have heard this song. Stephin Merritt is a pop genius and more people should know this.

25. The Cardigans - 'You're The Storm'
Most of the best bands in the world are Swedish. This one was a single from the Cardigans album before the current one, and it's got a killer chorus.

26. Nick Drake - 'At The Chime Of A City Clock'
Just like I associate Bruce Springsteen with small-town America, so I associate Nick Drake with rainy London streets. Drake's actually a brilliant guitarist and he really did have one of the saddest voices ever.

27. Elliott Smith - 'Waltz#2 (XO)'
I can't write enough good things about this song. It's got brilliant lyrics but also some amazing production/instrumentation. It's very sad that he's gone now.

28. Concrete Blonde - 'Bloodletting (The Vampire Song)'
This is the short version on the 'Recollection' best of. Thanks to Jen (HeartlandGirl) for making reference to them so I got interested. They really did have some great singles, Concrete Blonde; this might be my favourite of the lot (apart, perhaps, from the heartbreaking 'Tomorrow, Wendy', but that was a cover).

29. Billy Bragg - 'A New England'
A venerable classic. You either hate Bragg or love him. This song contains one of my favourite lyrics ever: 'I saw two shooting stars last night/I wished on them/but they were only satellites/is it wrong to wish on space hardware/I wish I wish I wish you'd care.' Kirsty MacColl did a nice version with an extra verse as well, but I don't think it tops Bragg.

30. Noir Desir & Manu Chao - 'La Vent Nous Portera'
One of THE best songs to play in the summer. I used to be in love with French pop (now, not so) but this remains a favourite to this day because it's so awesome.

31. Darling Buds - 'Long Day In The Universe'
And finally something from the early 90s! Again it's another catchy pop song, with shoegazer influences, but thankfully it's not as tedious as some of the bands from that era. It's quite a perky little tune, a great chorus and some sweet vocals. I wonder what they're doing now...

The greatest guitarist in rock history, and not a bad singer either. Awesome, awesome stuff

i was pleasantly surprised to see this !
i have rumour and sigh and mock tudor by him
very super
very super indeed

do ya really think he plays guitar that great to call him the greatest guitarist in rock history?
plus -- his music is really more folky than true rock
its like soul/folk

Last edited:
Dearie Me, I want to make one.

Although I think mine might be alittle bit more "mainstream".

carrieluvv said:
The greatest guitarist in rock history, and not a bad singer either. Awesome, awesome stuff

i was pleasantly surprised to see this !
i have rumour and sigh and mock tudor by him
very super
very super indeed

do ya really think he plays guitar that great to call him the greatest guitarist in rock history?
plus -- his music is really more folky than true rock
its like soul/folk

Nah of course not. I indulge in hyperbole all the time.

yertle-the-turtle said:
7. Johan - 'Everybody Knows'
Thanks to Popmartijn I now know Holland produces some of the best pop music in the world. This song is a bit dated in its mid-90s Foo Fighter-ness, but don't let that stop you from enjoying one of the best choruses ever written in pop music. Nice guitar as well.

:happy:

yertle-the-turtle said:

17. Beth Orton - 'I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine'
The fact Dido is more popular than Beth Orton is one of the reasons why the world sucks today. This is a fairly traditional reading of the old Ronnie Spector classic, just Orton on voice and guitar; it's absolutely heartbreaking. If you're familiar with the original, check this out; if you're not, then you'll find yourself listening to one of the saddest songs ever.

Whoa. This song is a heartbreak.:sad:

yertle-the-turtle said:
19. New Order - '60 Miles An Hour'
From the very underrated Get Ready album. There's very little dance here; it's a plain rock monster. Sumner's lyrics are rubbish as usual but at least he sounds like he's having fun. I am too.

27. Elliott Smith - 'Waltz#2 (XO)'
I can't write enough good things about this song. It's got brilliant lyrics but also some amazing production/instrumentation. It's very sad that he's gone now.
[/B]

i LOVE that new order song. have you seen the video? hilarious...

and i'm pretty sure that elliott smith song will make my list, though it's a toss-up between that and 'twilight'.

i have a feeling my list will be closer to fifty.

the only problem with my list is that i've got too many blur, broken social scene, and wilco songs on it. need more diversity! will hopefully post it later, minus the links for the time being.

Alright, here's the list of my FAVOURITE songs. Will hopefully be available for download in the not-so-distant future. Thoughts?

--------------------------------------

50. Blur - Tender

If this is only number 50, obviously this is a great list. :wink:

49. Zero 7 - In Time

Great retrospective song.

48. The Verve - History

Only problem with this song is that it goes on for a spell too long. The first three minutes are prime though.

47. REM - E-Bow The Letter

Tastes like fear...and delicious. :sexywink:

46. Beck - Nobody's Fault But My Own

Gotta love Beck when he's feeling terrible.

45. Madonna - Ray Of Light

1998, anyone?

44. Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely

Desolate...the best thing to ever happen videowise was the blip this song has. The one with the snow, anyone? Nod your head and say yes.

43. Sparklehorse - It's a wonderful life

I don't feel like commenting on every song. Download it for yourself and see why I'm right about this, and everything else.

42. Stars - Elevator Love Letter

My office glows...all night long, it's a nuclear show and the stars are gone.

41. Primative Radio Gods - Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand

Sentamental selection, no other reason really.

40. Explosions In The Sky - Greet Death

This song is great right after the heavy part towards the beginning of the piece.

39. Caribou - Yeti

Disko! Rawk.

38. Blur - This Is A Low

Of course.

37. Wilco - Wishful Thinking

Tremendous lyrics make this song come to life...the absolute quietness of this song during the verses are beautiful.

36. Arcade Fire - Rebellion

Easy song to point out as being one of the best of the last two years.

35. Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticsm

Great buildup, got into this song finally right after I came back from Europe in spring, oddly enough. Would have been nice to have liked it WHILE in europe, but whatever. WHATEVER!!!

34. Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea

It's a lot like U2's lemon, i think...

33. Sigur Ros - Olsen Olsen

I see lots of balloons and happy kids having good times. This song needs to be in a happy go lucky Disney movie.

32. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

Classic.

31. James - Laid

Classic.

30. Bach - Pastoral Symphony

TRULY classicAL.

29. Joshua Treble - I Was There For The Last Kiss But Never Saw The Ambulance

Glitch at it's best, as far as I'm concerned. Very easy to listen to.

28. Supergrass - St. Petersburg

Thanks to Kieran, I haven't stopped listening to this song since I first downloaded it only a few months ago.

27. Beck - High Five

Here we have Beck at his obnoxious best. DEATH TO THE LINE!!!!!

26. Pink Floyd - Jugband Blues

And the sea...isn't greeeeeeeeen...and IIIIIIIiiii...love the queeeen...and what exactlyyy iiis a dreaaaaam...and what exactlyyyyy iiiis a 7OKE. c + a minor, repeat...

25. Broken Social Scene - Ibi Dreams Of Pavement (A Better Tommorow)

best second half of a song since olsen olsen.

24. Broken Social Scene - Stars and Sons

great bass line, great atmosphere. Got me into Broken Social Scene after seeing the video on MTV 2, two years ago. Great video...

23. Smashing Pumpkins - Perfect

1998 again. Everyone has a turning point year, so lots of songs on this list happen to be from that point in time.

22. REM - I Wanted To Be Wrong

Anyone who slags REM's current output hasn't heard this song.

21. Stars - Ageless Beauty

Another great video...full on rock shit. Really optimistic too, good vibe.

20. Psilonaut - Ghost In The Machine

Music is Math, and this song is proof. Everything is very calculated like lots of music in this genre. From the Requiem for a dream movie...

19. Sandro Perri - Dreaming (is real)

One of the most intense songs ever. I demand everyone listen to it, everyone who has at other message boards loves it. Thanks to me.

18. Low - When I Go Deaf

Another new song, relatively speaking. This husband-wife duo here are at their best on their latest offering. This song you really need to hear.

17. The Beatles - Across The Universe

7ust how many covers of this song has their been? For good reason too, Rufus does a great cover.

16. Debussy - Clare de Lune

the REAL motion picture soundtrack...the song life is meant to end with. or a movie, depending if you're a nihilist or not. *cough*

15. The Walkmen - My Old Man

HERE WE ARE, DRIVING IN MY FATHER'S CAR. BREAK IT OFF WITH HIM. BREAK IT OFF WITH HIM. this song actually happened, so to speak, over the holidays. i could have written it myself, in a sense.

14. Duo 505 - Disko + Bett

alright, here's where it gets cool. EVERYONE DOWNLOAD THIS SONG. alter your sound options to make it as intense as possible. this song kicks ass, and i doubt anyone of you here has heard it. i have cbc radio three to thank for it.

13. Wilco - Less Than You Think

lots of hate for this song, but it's one of my very favourites. very simple melody, but it strikes home. the noise at the end is also lovely...i like songs that destruct themselves.

12. Blur - Out Of Time

Melancholy, anyone? Post - Graham, not a lot of hope for Blur, but this song is one of the best they've ever done.

11. The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work

if heaven calls, i'm coming too...

10. Broken Social Scene - Feel Good Lost

Odd choice, I admit. But I've listened to this song more than any other in the last two years. When you download it, you'll probably wonder why. I have no idea either, but it's so RIGHT.

9. K.C. Accidental - Residential Love Song

Modern "rock: instrumentals don't get any better than this.

8. Blur - The Universal

It really, really, really could happen to be Blur's greatest song ever.

7. Manitoba - I've Lived On A Dirt Road All My Life

It's true. I have. And you put this on your mp3 player and go for a walk down where I live, and you'd have it in your top ten too.

6. Stars - Heart

The connection these two singers have is brilliant. The man begging for the woman in the verses, and the woman relenting in the chorus with "alright, i'll say what you want me to. i can do all the things you do. alright, i'll make it all up for you - i'm still in love with you. i'm still in love with you."

5. Loscil - The Grid

WOW. another cbc radio 3 moment in the middle of the night. i heard this song right before they played the sandro perri tune...both of which can be found on the 'Saturday Morning Empires' cd of great Canadian electronic/idm-ish music. Please download this song...

4. Beethoven - Pathetique

The first note was all it took. Amazing. Right from that first stroke of brilliance, this song goes on to be my favourite classical pieces of all time. Predictable? Of course, but there's a reason why it's so popular.

3. Broken Social Scene - Lover's Spit (w/Feist)

Either version is great, but I have a soft spot for female singers like Leslie Feist. And on top of that, the ambience at the end of this song make this one of my favourite songs of all time.

2. Wilco - Reservations

Great lyrics, as per usual from Tweedy. But it's the ending that makes the song for me. I made a thread about this song not too long ago...

1. Radiohead - Airbag

The greatest song of all time, in my opinion. Especially live...oddly enough, Radiohead played this song better in 1997 and 98 than they do these days. They even admit it, which is why they rarely play it anymore. Everything I've ever liked about how 7onny plays guitar, he showcases in this song. From raunchy over-the-top guitar, to solo's, to flat out sexing the guitar sideways. The best there ever was, and will ever be.

yertle-the-turtle said:

The greatest guitarist in rock history, and not a bad singer either. Awesome, awesome stuff.

Yes! I don't know a lot of his stuff, but this came out when I was in college, and I love it.

15. The Roots feat. Cody Chestnutt- 'Seed 2.0'
One of my favourite songs of the past few years. It's really impossible not to dance to.

Yes!! I loved this song so much, and have been disappointed by everything else I ever sought out by The Roots. Oh well. This song is great enough to be enough for me.

25. The Cardigans - 'You're The Storm'
Most of the best bands in the world are Swedish. This one was a single from the Cardigans album before the current one, and it's got a killer chorus.

YES!!! This is an amazing song. I love the whole album, but this one's by far the best track.

The one's I know, I like.

Look forward to hearing the rest.

And yes, having Tender at 50 is a good sign. I like that tune.

Zoomerang96 said:

47. REM - E-Bow The Letter

Tastes like fear...and delicious. :sexywink:

Great buildup, got into this song finally right after I came back from Europe in spring, oddly enough. Would have been nice to have liked it WHILE in europe, but whatever. WHATEVER!!!

16. Debussy - Clare de Lune

the REAL motion picture soundtrack...the song life is meant to end with. or a movie, depending if you're a nihilist or not. *cough*

E-Bow the Letter: I love that they picked this one as the first single from the severely underrated "New Adventures in Hi-Fi." It's out of left field, is strange and gorgeous, slightly eerie.

Transatlanticism: I've decided I don't much like Death Cab For Cutie (although I dig the Postal Service - go figure), but this is a great song. I kept the album of the same name for this song alone.

Claire de Lune: My favorite piece ever to play on the piano, but I also love the orchestral version. The last 30 seconds or so are absolutely luminous.

And as for being used as an ending to a movie, I'm convinced that this being used as the characters watch the Bellaggio fountains at the end of "Ocean's 11" is what makes me keep thinking it's a better movie than it really is. I just love that scene, all thanks to the music.

Zoomerang96 said:
Alright, here's the list of my FAVOURITE songs. Will hopefully be available for download in the not-so-distant future. Thoughts?

44. Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely

Desolate...the best thing to ever happen videowise was the blip this song has. The one with the snow, anyone? Nod your head and say yes.

32. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony

3. Broken Social Scene - Lover's Spit (w/Feist)

Either version is great, but I have a soft spot for female singers like Leslie Feist. And on top of that, the ambience at the end of this song make this one of my favourite songs of all time.

2. Wilco - Reservations

Great lyrics, as per usual from Tweedy. But it's the ending that makes the song for me. I made a thread about this song not too long ago...

These are on my list (I'm up to 20) as well.

43. Sparklehorse - It's a wonderful life

I didn't think of this one on my own but I put it on lots of mixes for people so it's definitely a fav.

Excellent list!

In alphabetical order, only because that’s the way my CDs are organized. A few miscellaneous ones at the end, to bring it up to 35. Yeah, 35. I cheated.

I don’t have any of these uploaded right now, but email me if you’d like any of them, and I’ll upload them by request. Alicia.k@comcast.net

1. Ryan Adams – “Wonderwall”

Of all the Ryan Adams tracks I could have picked, why a cover? It’s the track I listen to the most. He took an already lovely song and turned it into something haunting and ethereal. The first time I heard this, I was driving, and was so in love with it I almost had to pull over and give it my full attention. Luckily for me (and the other drivers on the road that night), I’m a good multi-tasker.

2. Tori Amos – “Real Men”

I waffled on this one, wanting to either choose this track or her completely creepy cover of Eminem’s “ ’97 Bonnie and Clyde.” I used to be a big Tori fan, but her last few albums have done absolutely nothing for me. I’d never heard Joe Jackson’s original version of this song, but after falling in love with Tori’s cover, I sought it out and was surprised at how different the two versions were. With all due respect to Mr. Jackson, I like Tori’s version better.

3. Angie Aparo – “Spaceship”

I don’t know anything about this guy, except that he’s from Memphis and should put out another album. This song showed up on a mix CD I got some years ago. I liked the song, but didn’t think to search out an album by him. When I finally got around to doing so, I kicked myself for not doing it sooner. Great voice, great melody, great song. He had a second album of cover songs that was pretty hit or miss, but I’d love to hear him put something else out.

4. Annie – “Heartbeat”

If you’ve paid attention to my posts over the past year, you may have noticed that I have a penchant for Big, Dumb Pop Songs. I love ‘em. Give me a catchy, well-done pop song, and I will love it. You’ve just gotta love a well-crafted pop song (Abba, anyone?). I read a lot about Annie this year and picked up her album “Anniemal” on the strength of this song and “Chewing Gum,” both little flashes of pop brilliance.

5. Badfinger – “No Matter What”

I also dig power pop, of which this is a tasty specimen.

6. Billy Bragg & Wilco – “California Stars”

Lyrics by Woody Guthrie, from the very good album by the same name. The second volume isn’t nearly as good, but oh well. This song is very repetitive, but I just love it. It reminds me of driving into Northern California two years ago, and being completely in awe of the redwood trees.

7. Mary Chapin Carpenter – “I Am a Town”

I just really like her. Great song-writer, definite country flavor, but fear not. More of a good American singer-songwriter of a country/folk bent, rather than a generic, soulless “new country” piece of crap. This song is simple and melancholy, and paints a picture of a forgotten southern American back-road town. I’ve never been to the south that she sings about, but I can picture it in this song, and it sounds beautiful.

8. Neko Case – “Deep Red Bells”

I’m not a huge New Pornographers fan (great tunes, but they just sound too noisy to me, like they’re all crowded around one microphone in the studio, playing too loud all at once), but I love Neko Case’s voice. Her solo albums are really good; this one’s from “Blacklisted,” which I highly recommend.

9. Chicago – “Feelin’ Stronger Every Day”

Ah, Chicago. Before they went all crap. Peter Cetera takes the lead on this one, even though Terry Kath was still alive at this point. This song just makes me feel good. I can’t sing along to it without smiling. “Ohhhh yeahhhhh” indeed, Peter.

10. Crowded House – “Distant Sun”

Hard to pick just one Crowded House/Neil Finn song, but this one’s my favorite. Lovely.

11. The Flaming Lips – “Do You Realize?”

On the whole, The Flaming Lips are a little too out there for my tastes, but I just find them really interesting. “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots” is a really great album, and I picked up “The Soft Bulletin” later and was surprised at how much I liked it. Then I watched their “Fearless Freaks” documentary, and now have kind of a crush on Wayne Coyne, fake blood and all. This song is kind of an obvious choice, but hey – I’m kind of a simple girl. It’s just an amazing song.

12. Emmylou Harris – “Wrecking Ball”

How great is Emmylou Harris? I never really gave her much thought, just lumping her into the “country” category, but when I was working at a mall record store in the mid 90s, her Daniel Lanois-produced “Wrecking Ball” album came out, and I took home the promo copy we’d received for in-store play. I loved it immediately and now think she’s just the bee’s knees. Love her voice. The album is almost all covers, including this one, which is a Neil Young song. Mr. Young sings backing vocals as well.

13. The Jayhawks – “Blue”

My love of countryish singer-songwriters was followed by a love of alt-country stuff, including the Jayhawks. Good songs, great harmonies, what more could you want?

14. Keane – “Bend and Break”

Some people declare them too wussy or what-have-you, but I think this is an amazing album. The guy’s voice is just perfection, and it soars on this track. I was so glad I got to see them open for U2 in New York last fall, and was very pleased to hear his voice was just as good live as it was on the record.

15. kd lang – “Hallelujah”

kd lang has become one of my favorite singers. Her voice is warm, and rich, and lush, and just flawless. Her latest release, “Hymns of the 49th Parallel,” is all covers of songs by Canadian songwriters (Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Jane Siberry), and it’s gorgeous. I was torn between using the ubiquitous “Hallelujah” or Neil Young’s “Helpless,” but I went with this one.

16. Cyndi Lauper – “I Drove All Night”

Laugh if you will, but Cyndi has an incredible voice. If I ever come across a karaoke bar that has this song in the book, I can die a happy woman (after butchering the song and then beating myself up about it, of course). I threw a fit of righteous indignation when I first heard the Celine Dion travesty of a version in that car commercial a few years ago.

17. M.I.A. – “10 Dollar”

I bought into the hype on this one. I never thought this sort of thing would be up my alley, but I completely love her “Arular” album. This is my favorite track on the album, a chipper little ditty about child prostitution.

18. Kylie Minogue – “Red Blooded Woman”

Laugh if you will, but Kylie Minogue is pocket-sized brilliance, and this song is all kinds of awesome.

19. Morphine – “Cure For Pain”

I’m very sorry Mark Sandman passed away, because that means no more Morphine albums. A saxophone instead of a lead guitar? What’s not to love! The whole “Cure For Pain” album is very, very good. Sometimes menacing, often sexy, sometimes surprisingly gentle, often fun, always great!

20. Sinead O’Connor – “No Man’s Woman”
I haven’t been into what Sinead’s been doing for years now, but I love this song. Without resorting to the tired old “girl power” cliché, this song kicks all kinds of ass and is perfect for cranking on a road trip where you can sing as loud as you damn well please.

21. Joan Osborne – “Righteous Love”

If all you’ve heard of Joan Osborne is “One of Us,” you don’t know Joan Osborne. This woman can SING. Her “Righteous Love” album was sorely overlooked, and is really great.

22. The Pernice Brothers – “The Weakest Shade of Blue”

Perfectly intelligent pop with wonderful harmonies. I love Joe Pernice’s voice.

23. The Posies – “Flavor of the Month”

Power pop from the Pacific Northwest with the tinge of the dreaded grunge sound. Their album “Frosting on the Beater” is very, very good.

24. REM – “Find the River”

Hard to only pick one REM song, but I had to go with this one. Note to self: tell mom that in case of untimely death, this is to be played at my funeral. And then 15 versions of “Where the Streets Have No Name,” all played back-to-back.

25. Semisonic – “Chemistry”

Why Semisonic didn’t make it past the one-hit-wonderdom that came with “Closing Time” is beyond me. Then after reading Jacob Slichter’s (the drummer) book about their experience in the music industry, I want to go knock on the doors of the music industry and beat everyone over the head with a copy of his book. Perfectly constructed, intelligent, fun pop.

26. Simon and Garfunkel – “America”

Somehow, this song escaped my orbit until I saw “Almost Famous.” I’d heard a live, solo Paul Simon version, and was completely in love with it. Then I heard the original version and wondered how it was possible I’d never heard it before.

27. Smashing Pumpkins – “Tonight, Tonight”

I’m kind of over the Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan’s voice is like biting into aluminum foil to me. But this song is just so great. It’s sweeping, and lush, and grand, and I love when it breaks into the 3/4 time signature.

28. Sting – “Fragile”

So shoot me, I like Sting (although his last solo album did absolutely nothing for me). This is the most beautiful song he’s ever written, and the production is just perfect. So pretty.

29. Sun Kil Moon – “Carry Me Ohio”

One of Mark Kozelek’s side projects. An ex of mine loved everything Mark ever did, especially Red House Painters. I tried to like them and failed miserably. But this album? This one, I get. This song makes me want to drive on a dreary day. The latest Sun Kil Moon album is interpretations of Modest Mouse tunes, and apparently he’s also done an album of AC/DC tunes. Huh.

30. Matthew Sweet – “Girlfriend”

By now, you should get that I love pop music. Intelligent pop, power pop, Big Dumb Pop. It doesn’t get any better than this song.

31. Sugababes – “Freak Like Me”

A British friend put this on a mix CD for me, and my reaction to it was something along the lines of: “What IS this? Isn’t this an old Adina Howard song? What the hell??” I did a little research and learned this was a trio of British teenagers, and the song was a mash-up of the Adina Howard song “Freak Like Me” and Gary Neuman’s “Are Friends Electric” (I think that’s what it’s called). It’s so awesome, I can’t even tell you. The rest of the Sugababes stuff is hit or miss with me, but when it’s good, it’s GOOD.

32. Velvet Underground – “Rock and Roll”

She says her life was saved by rock and roll. ‘Nuff said.

33. Wilco – “Nothingsevergonnastandinmyway(again)”

I like Wilco when they’re being all weird and experimental, but I love them when they’re at their poppiest, “Summerteeth”-iest best. If you don’t feel upbeat after listening to this song, I can’t help you.

34. Stevie Wonder – “Higher Ground”

Come on, how can you not love classic Stevie? Get your groove on and dance around your living room. Do it!

35. Texas – “Saint”

Another mix CD find from my British friend. I love her for introducing me to this song. Simply the most beautiful (in the non-classical music arena) song I’ve ever heard. I’d never heard of Texas and sought out some more of their stuff, but none of it could live up to this one.

Back
Top Bottom