Zoomerang96's Music Challenge: 30 Of Your Favorite Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i should definitely have put the following songs in my list, somewhere:

placebo - special needs

the bluetones - if...

interpol - nyc / leif erikson

gorillaz - ANYTHING by the gorillaz...why didn't i put at least ONE song by them???

you have not been

paying attention...

seriously, i can think of 20 more songs i should have put on my list.

go to bed, bear. :kiss:

maybe we'll wake up from this nightmare.

*dreams of pavement*

31st was a light so dim by black heart procession

Here is the countdown again

30 Muse - Sing for absolution
almost radiohead....this one can pass of as a radiohead song. i love the vocals on this one...

29 Travis - Sing
the first travis song I heard...and i have to go and buy The invisible band after i heard this song..i liked the album :up:

28 Mogwai - 2 rights make 1 wrong
i thought firesuite was the only instrumental track in my list...
i forgot about this one...the best intrumental track i have heard...
definitely...

will be back with 7 more today

AcrobatMan
letdown_acrobat@yahoo.com
have most of 'em

Sorry slighly busy today..

have to give 2 hours presentation tomorrow

so here is the quick list

27 Air - Cherry blossom girl

after sexy boy, there is a sexy girl

26 Joy Division - Love will

the defining JD song

25 INXS - never tear us apart
the best inxs song

24 Coldplay- yellow
the real thing

23 Bruce Springstein - streets of philadelphia
what a song

22 The pineapple thief - we subside
i always wonder why we carry on

21 Radiohead - fake plastic
one of the 4 radiohead songs on my list....

GibsonGirl said:
No-one would like my 30. :angry: But maybe I'll post it later anyway. :happy:

Your 30 are awesome!!:drool:

Here's my list, with some real inspiration from a few GibsonGirl regulars that she was kind enough to share with me a while ago. R-AD also shared some incredible live stuff from Radiohead I’d never heard before—performances that fully convinced me of their greatness.

Hope this is not too long! :huh:

1. Radiohead – The National Anthem
To me, this is the sound of arriving on another planet. It’s got a droning bass line that carries the weird vocals—and even weirder horn section at the end. It all works for me. It also amazes me how they can pull this off live.

2. Radiohead - Optimistic
I love the arrangement of this song, how it ratchets up and falls back on Thom Yorke’s vocal—a vocal which reminds me of Chris Martin’s at points, with its “oooos” acting as a hook. But the lyrics and sheer weight of the song eclipse all imitation.

3. Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
I like GibsonGirl’s take on this song. It just takes me away to somewhere dark. When Thom Yorke starts hitting the high notes in his vocal at the end, it’s like hearing an angel getting stuck in the heavy traffic of despair.

4. Radiohead - Airbag
“In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the universe.” I like the full-on attack feel of this song. It’s like the band are returning home from a space mission, full of purpose and determination as they break through the atmosphere.

5. Radiohead - 2 + 2 = 5
This song could have been called ‘George Bush.’ I love the lyrics, the slow, plodding haze at the start, and the frantic breakdown at the close. It’s like the character in the song has been injected with a sense of reality—and there’s no turning back.

6. Peter Gabriel – In Your Eyes
The rhythm and pacing to this song are brilliant. I think it’s about finding honesty in someone, and having them bring out the best in you. (Or hell, it could be about contact lenses, for all I know!) It’s got a great tribal feel to it, with kick-ass keyboards.

7. Peter Gabriel – Solsbury Hill
“My heart going boom boom boom ‘Son, he said ‘Grab your things,
I've come to take you home.’” Great lyric, euphoric, tribal, all those kinds of things.

8. Inxs – Not Enough Time
I love the piano-based structure of the song, the thoughtful lyrics, and how it builds and builds into something really beautiful.

9. Inxs – What You Need
This was the first Inxs song that I recall hearing. It’s got the essentials of a great rock song: heavy bass, heavier drums, guitars…but then it has something else: Michael Hutchence’s psychedelic vocals, which give the song a freshness. The saxophone even works here.

10. Pearl Jam – In My Tree
The drums are what really move this song and make it special. And you really do get the sense that Eddie Vedder is reaching for something. Lyrically, there’s a distance created between what he thought was reality, and where he’s heading.

10. Pearl Jam – Sad
It’s got a weird pacing to it, but one that’s interesting and works really well with the heartfelt vocal.

11. Pearl Jam – Last Exit
As the lead-in to Vitalogy, Pearl Jam’s third album, it starts out like a quiet jam (no pun intended) and ramps up to be a very powerful thing. It’s a pure, confident, rock song that begs to be turned up loud.

12. Pearl Jam – Nothing Man
A very raw and sad song. It’s the quiet vocal that gets to me—it’s a perfect example of Vedder’s strength and vulnerability, all in the same breath. Ultimately, I think it’s about Kurt Cobain.

13. The Arcade Fire – Neighbourhood # 3 (Power Out)
Frantic and fresh. There’s so much going on here, but it works wonderfully, and comes across as something truly special and original.

14. The Arcade Fire – Neighbourhood # 1 (Tunnels)
I love how it starts off a little slow, with a cool vocal, and then gets very magical at the end.

15. The Arcade Fire – No Cars Go
It’s a simple song, but the sound of it reminds me of something that happened in my own life: the time the government put a four-lane highway through a beautiful field that my cousins and I used to play in. When I hear this song, I visualize us as the band, filming the video right in the middle of traffic.

16. REM – Binky the Doormat
From New Adventures in Hi-Fi, this song is a standout with its reverb and pure weirdness.

17. REM -- Orange Crush
The mad dash of military drumming kicks it off, and it never lets up. “We are agents of the free, I've had my fun and now it's time…to serve your conscience overseas, coming in fast, over me.” It’s a commentary on the Vietnam war, and a very powerful one.

18. David Bowie – Life on Mars?
It’s one of those songs that creep into your subconscious when you first hear it, while the emotions conveyed seem so familiar. It's like opera from another planet. I really love the version Bowie does with The Arcade Fire.

19. David Bowie – Space Oddity
See above, minus The Arcade Fire!

20. Bruce Springsteen – Human Touch
Just a great song—an anthem for humanity! I first saw Springsteen with my dad. At the end of the show, I was the one jumping up and down and clapping. He’s the real deal, and this song just embodies his talent.

21. Pink Floyd – Learning to Fly
From what I’ve read, many of the band’s purists don’t like this song, but it’s stayed with me ever since I first heard it. I remember seeing the video years ago—it was just an image of a gliding bird over mountain tops—and thinking how different the song was. It’s funny because at the end of the song, there’s an effect that sounds just like a transport truck backing up. (Maybe it’s the sound of David Gilmour running over Roger Waters.) It’s a sound that fools me every time I hear it while walking.

22. Pink Floyd – The Hero’s Return
Speaking of purists, this song arrived with me, thanks to one of them :shifty: It’s from The Final Cut, a stark and beautiful album that could be the official soundtrack to the heartache and madness of war. We often hear today how kids have lost the sense of connection with war vets, and how history is so forgetful about the ingredients that lead to evil acts. This album packs more punch into 45 minutes than every Remembrance Day assembly I’ve ever attended.

23. Echo and The Bunnymen – Over the Wall
It reminds me of something from U2’s Boy, only more desolate. It’s atmospheric, in a slightly chilly way, but highly addictive.

24. Echo and The Bunnymen – The Killing Moon
A really solid performance from a great band. Like other songs that I love, I find myself imagining the videos for them. This one is like that.

25. Juff Buckley – Vanilla Sky
This guy was a real talent. It’s such a shame he’s no longer here. I can almost picture Radiohead doing this song, with its sway and rhythm.

26. Modest Mouse – Float On
There’s something very relatable about Modest Mouse. They’re an unpolished ramble of ideas and sounds that hit me like a conversation from a close friend.

27. Sarah McLachlan - Drawn to the Rhythm
Very evocative description of the sea, and what it’s like being next to it.

28. Duran Duran – Come Undone
I love the echo effects on this song. The background vocals are intoxicating. Great song from a great pop band that is deeper than people give them credit for.

29. Aimee Mann – Wise Up
From the Magnolia soundtrack, this song tells a story that’s as close to the heart and honest as you can find. It perfectly mirrors the storyline of one of the best, and quirkiest, movies I’ve seen.

30. Crowded House – Distant Sun
I like the yearning in this song. It’s a little starker sounding than the “big hit” Don’t Dream It’s Over, and it has more of an emotional curve.

Last edited:
angelordevil said:

16. REM – Binky the Doormat
From New Adventures in Hi-Fi, this song is a standout with its reverb and pure weirdness.

:up:

Great song. I can't say it enough - New Adventures in Hi-Fi is an amazing album!

Zoomerang96 said:

interpol - nyc / leif erikson

NYC is a great song. :up:

What do you think of Hands Away? That's probably my favourite Interpol song. 1:20 into the song gives me chills! Chills!

angelordevil said:

Your 30 are awesome!!:drool:

As are yours. :drool:

Oh, and me, a Pink Floyd purist? Me? Never! :wink: SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE [PINK FLOYD WITHOUT ROGER WATERS IS LIKE CANADA WITHOUT TIM HORTONS] SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE

The Final Cut. :drool:

Going off on a completely different tangent, another thing I love about 2+2=5, in addition to the stuff you mentioned, is the Orwell reference. 1984 is my favourite novel, so to hear its key themes reflected by one of my favourite bands is great!

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

As are yours. :drool:

Oh, and me, a Pink Floyd purist? Me? Never! :wink: SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE [PINK FLOYD WITHOUT ROGER WATERS IS LIKE CANADA WITHOUT TIM HORTONS] SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE

The Final Cut. :drool:

Going off on a completely different tangent, another thing I love about 2+2=5, in addition to the stuff you mentioned, is the Orwell reference. 1984 is my favourite novel, so to hear its key themes reflected by one of my favourite bands is great!

:| I will obey, I will obey...must have Tim Horton's coffee in Canada with Roger Waters...

angelordevil said:

:| I will obey, I will obey...must have Tim Horton's coffee in Canada with Roger Waters...

No way. :lol: I actually had a dream about seeing Waters and Ian McCulloch (of Echo & The Bunnymen) at a Tim Horton's. They both gave me the finger so Jim Carrey (I met him at MUN) did an Ace Ventura bat-flap against their table. Seriously! The poor souls who read my online journal will be familiar with this.

Er. Anyway, back to lists! I'd like to add the following to mine:

The Police - Regatta de Blanc
Wonderful palm muting and harmonics in that guitar.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
The lyrics are horrible, but there's no way to resist that funky beat.

GibsonGirl said:

No way. :lol: I actually had a dream about seeing Waters and Ian McCulloch (of Echo & The Bunnymen) at a Tim Horton's. They both gave me the finger so Jim Carrey (I met him at MUN) did an Ace Ventura bat-flap against their table. Seriously! The poor souls who read my online journal will be familiar with this.

Er. Anyway, back to lists! I'd like to add the following to mine:

The Police - Regatta de Blanc
Wonderful palm muting and harmonics in that guitar.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
The lyrics are horrible, but there's no way to resist that funky beat.

:der: You didn't have a dream about Edge extolling the virtues of a high protein diet by any chance?

That's kind of weird...maybe we're on the same wavelength! Jim Carrey at MUN? :drool: I love how he stood up for you :lol:

And the Chili Peppers...I love them, too :drool: I was listening to them while all my friends were in Nirvana mode.

if anyone is interested, you can download 10 of my songs from here (is a .rar archive):

http://ashcities.blogspot.com/

(just scroll down where it says: "download here") and in the following days I'll up more, it's much better is you know spanish

Jack In The Box said:
if anyone is interested, you can download 10 of my songs from here (is a .rar archive):

http://ashcities.blogspot.com/

(just scroll down where it says: "download here") and in the following days I'll up more, it's much better is you know spanish

:up: I look forward to hearing them.

Thanks for doing this right.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't know we could post the links up on other sites! I thought this was a strictly email only thing. I'll post mine on my website tomorrow if I get the chance.

I don't have my own website ... but no one wanted any of my songs anyway.

I guess I'll just go sit in the corner and eat some worms now.

:sad:

corianderstem said:
I don't have my own website ... but no one wanted any of my songs anyway.

I guess I'll just go sit in the corner and eat some worms now.

:sad:

:sad: Aww... Sucks, doesn't it?

But maybe there are more people like me who don't necessarily download the songs, but do put some on a list to check out later.

AcrobatMan said:
"How can I convince you it's me I don't like '

what does this mean... joyful girl or hitman

help

Just what it says. You know when you aren't getting along with someone and you realize that it's not them, it's you, and you take it out on them? Something like that I guess.

:shrug:

indra said:

:sad: Aww... Sucks, doesn't it?

But maybe there are more people like me who don't necessarily download the songs, but do put some on a list to check out later.

That's okay. People here just don't recognize my genius musical taste, I guess. :wink:

I used to have a huge list of songs I'd read about in magazines or online that I would go and try to track down. I do that less these days, mainly because I can easily find a lot of them on MP3 blogs.

corianderstem said:

That's okay. People here just don't recognize my genius musical taste, I guess. :wink:

I used to have a huge list of songs I'd read about in magazines or online that I would go and try to track down. I do that less these days, mainly because I can easily find a lot of them on MP3 blogs.

Don't feel bad ;) As Indra says, people are probably making lists from this stuff. I know that I am...I'll probably request a few on the weekend, when I can actually think about what I'd like. And, hey, you did mention New Adventures in Hi-Fi...that's genius right there! :drool:

I also forgot to include my email address: elevationman @hotmail.com. I'm new at the song-sending thing, but I'm sure that I could get the hang of it.

AcrobatMan said:
"How can I convince you it's me I don't like '

what does this mean... joyful girl or hitman

help
i can only interpret it from my own experience, so take it with grain of salt. ;)

i think maybe it has to do with him feeling like he's not good enough for the girl that he's singing to. that maybe he loves her so much that he wishes he could be the guy that she deserves.

maybe he gets down on himself for that, and she in turn thinks that it's because of her.

maybe he's trying to tell her, 'it's not you, it's me.'

or maybe i've said too much. :silent:

i think bear should weigh in here.

Back
Top Bottom