Zep, Floyd: Teens Save Classic Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:
LMP, you like pre 1985 Pink Floyd when Waters was in the band more than post 1985 Pink Floyd, right? If not, I completely misread that. :(

I think he meant Waters-led Floyd and not Water-less Floyd! :lol:

Zootlesque said:

I think he meant Waters-led Floyd and not Water-less Floyd! :lol:

If that's the case, I may have to stick his head down a toilet and flush it a few times to get rid of the wax between his ears. :wink:

EDIT: Nah, he's got to be talking about liking Waters-less Floyd less, not Waters-led Floyd less. He said he likes "every phase" except for...etc. Gilmour-led Floyd was only one phase.

1stepcloser said:
I hope this is only restricted to America. The music scene in britain is the best it's been for years. The last thing i want is to have a revival of 5 minute guitar solo's and big hair :no:

Zep was far from being a "big hair" band. The "hair bands" of the eighties like Motley Crue were a nasty subgenre of the whole Zep/Sabbath thing. Page and Plant hated that style of music. For every brutal Cinderella, Poison and Twisted Sister that can credit Zep as an influence, there's a Nirvana, Jane's Addiction and Stone Roses (in other words awesome bands) that were in some way influenced by Zep. (Nirvana did an awesome cover of Zep's Hearbreaker, and Dave Grohl is tatooed in Bonham stuff) Even U2 have gone on record as saying they were fans of them though they hated most hard rock.

xaviMF22 said:
Gilmour >>>>Waters

[BIG GIANT GAP]

as a guitar player :wink:

Phew, for a minute there you were cruising for a bruising. :wink:

I agree with Zooters, though, they're all fantastic at what they do best. Waters as a singer and songwriter (maybe just a little as a bassist), Gilmour as a guitarist, Wright as a keyboardist, and Mason as a pie crust connoisseur. :drool: Barrett was also loveable in a rather crazy way (come on, who else could write songs like The Gnome and Bike?)

GibsonGirl said:

Phew, for a minute there you were cruising for a bruising. :wink:

I agree with Zooters, though, they're all fantastic at what they do best. Waters as a singer and songwriter (maybe just a little as a bassist), Gilmour as a guitarist, Wright as a keyboardist, and Mason as a pie crust connoisseur. :drool: Barrett was also loveable in a rather crazy way (come on, who else could write songs like The Gnome and Bike?)

I'd take Gilmour as a singer over Waters, though...

personally speaking I think the best thing Led Zep. ever did was provide the music for the genius that is Rolf Harris to sing that old ditty, Stairway to Heaven, anybody agree?

Gilmour > Waters for songwriting, singing, lead guitar, rythm guitar, bass guitar (yes, bass guitar), production, mixing, arranging

Waters > Gilmour for biting lyrics

Gilmour + Waters = Genius

Gilmour - Waters = Still Genius

Waters - Gilmour = ehhh, anyone else still listening to Radio KAOS or Pros & Cons? Didn't think so.

GibsonGirl said:
I'm confused too. :lol: It's just the way he phrased it.

LMP, you like pre 1985 Pink Floyd when Waters was in the band more than post 1985 Pink Floyd, right? If not, I completely misread that. :(

I love Pre-1985/Water Pink Floyd

I tolerate Post-1985/Gilmour Pink Floyd

Last edited:
^ :lol: (For Hawkfire's post)

Personal taste is quite the interesting thing.

GibsonGirl said:
^ :lol: (For Hawkfire's post)

Personal taste is quite the interesting thing.

I think the only post '85 song that's in my top 10 is Lost for Words

and I have to admit, I never really liked Led Zeppelin, I'm more of a Who fan

LemonMacPhisto said:

what don't you like about it?

Just about everything. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason makes me want to cry, I hate it that much. I thought The Division Bell was okay though. Amongst the filler, there's some good stuff there. Poles Apart, Marooned, Take It Back and High Hopes.

GibsonGirl said:

Just about everything. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason makes me want to cry, I hate it that much. I thought The Division Bell was okay though. Amongst the filler, there's some good stuff there. Poles Apart, Marooned, Take It Back and High Hopes.

the thing that bothered me the most about The Division Bell was that I read that David Gilmour brought in other people to help him write stuff :huh:

and AMLOR sounds very '80s whereas their pre-85 stuff is timeless

LemonMacPhisto said:

the thing that bothered me the most about The Division Bell was that I read that David Gilmour brought in other people to help him write stuff :huh:

:yes:

The lyrics are just awful on AMLOR (Gilmour did most of the writing there). And very curiously, they improved ten-fold with Division Bell. You kind of have to wonder how many of the lyrics are Gilmour's.

and AMLOR sounds very '80s whereas their pre-85 stuff is timeless

Yep. Excluding some of the very early stuff with Syd Barrett, most of their material sounds fresh. AMLOR is so horribly drenched in 80s synth. Certain parts of The Division Bell are as well. Roger Waters was guilty of that too, though, with Radio KAOS. So I guess it all balances out. Waters' Amused To Death wasn't quite so bad, thankfully. And I don't understand the resentment towards Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking. To me, it sounds more like a PF album than AMLOR ever did! Eric Clapton. :drool:

I've never heard any of Waters' solo stuff, is it really good or just there?

LemonMacPhisto said:
I've never heard any of Waters' solo stuff, is it really good or just there?

It's okay, nothing spectacular. His best vocal performances are in The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking. His voice kind of deteriorated after that. From a lyrical perspective, Amused To Death is probably my favourite, just for the three parts of What God Wants and the title track. I don't really care for the rest of the album. Pros And Cons... is also a pretty good album. Musically, it's an extension of The Final Cut. In fact, there's a section in the song Go Fishing ( :drool: I love that song ) that has the exact same riff as The Fletcher Memorial Home. And Eric Clapton plays some very drool-worthy guitar throughout the whole album.

So anyway, I'd recommend The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking (especially if you like the concept albums of the late 70s / early 80s) and Amused To Death. Radio KAOS...eh, it's kind of take it or leave it.

GibsonGirl said:

It's okay, nothing spectacular. His best vocal performances are in The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking. His voice kind of deteriorated after that. From a lyrical perspective, Amused To Death is probably my favourite, just for the three parts of What God Wants and the title track. I don't really care for the rest of the album. Pros And Cons... is also a pretty good album. Musically, it's an extension of The Final Cut. In fact, there's a section in the song Go Fishing ( :drool: I love that song ) that has the exact same riff as The Fletcher Memorial Home. And Eric Clapton plays some very drool-worthy guitar throughout the whole album.

So anyway, I'd recommend The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking (especially if you like the concept albums of the late 70s / early 80s) and Amused To Death. Radio KAOS...eh, it's kind of take it or leave it.

Thank you :)

I think I'll try and look for Pros and Cons and see what happens after that

Interesting! I did not know that his vocal performance was better on Pros & Cons. I got Amused To Death for $6.99 at Pathmark :lol: and decided to check it out cos I know it's received some praise. Maybe I should listen to it on headphones and give it another chance instead of just having it play in the background while doing chores.

Zootlesque said:
Nirvana did an awesome cover of Zep's Hearbreaker
:ohmy: Now, THAT I want to hear! Got file?
There's a version on their recent rarities box set. It's instrumental, though. There's also a run-through of "Moby Dick" elsewhere on the set.

As for Waters, the In the Flesh live album has some great versions of some of his Amused To Death songs and helped ease me into that album. Plus, you get "Each Small Candle," probably his best solo song. You have to suffer through dorks with names like "Doyle Bramhall II" singing "Comfortably Numb," though.

Just to clear up a couple things before they erroneously become fact - The Division Bell was probably the most cohesive-group effort by Pink Floyd since Animals (1977), mabye even Wish You Were Here (1975).

All the music was written by Gilmour or Gilmour & Wright, and the lyrics were entirely by Gilmour with then-girlfriend, now wife Polly Samson (who is a writer). The only non Gilmour-Samson lyric is Rick Wright's tune Wearing the Inside Out, co-written with Anthony Moore who also collaborated on A Momentary Lapse of Reason. So to suggest that Gilmour "brought in" a number of outside people to help with Division Bell is erroneous, again, the core trio wrote and played all the music and Gilmour and his wife collaborated on virtually all the lyrics.

Gilmour DID bring in others to help on Momentary Lapse, but again essentially wrote 99% of the music himself (or with longtime Floyd producer Bob Ezrin) and the lyrics were all Gilmour apart from Learning to Fly/On The Turning Away (w/Moore once again).

GibsonGirl said:

If that's the case, I may have to stick his head down a toilet and flush it a few times to get rid of the wax between his ears. :wink:

EDIT: Nah, he's got to be talking about liking Waters-less Floyd less, not Waters-led Floyd less. He said he likes "every phase" except for...etc. Gilmour-led Floyd was only one phase.

I need to check my posts before I submit them :lol:

Hawkfire said:

All the music was written by Gilmour or Gilmour & Wright, and the lyrics were entirely by Gilmour with then-girlfriend, now wife Polly Samson (who is a writer). The only non Gilmour-Samson lyric is Rick Wright's tune Wearing the Inside Out, co-written with Anthony Moore who also collaborated on A Momentary Lapse of Reason. So to suggest that Gilmour "brought in" a number of outside people to help with Division Bell is erroneous, again, the core trio wrote and played all the music and Gilmour and his wife collaborated on virtually all the lyrics.

Yes, but the fact remains that there is only ONE song on The Division Bell that features lyrics entirely by Gilmour. Also, you've failed to mention Nick Laird-Clowes. He helped to write several of the songs on that album.

Back
Top Bottom