Your opinions on this list of bands/musicians....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
Well this is my list of bands/musicians that I've been listening to as of late. I don't think you can really compare them since they fall into different genres of music, but what's your opinion on them?

Rufus Wainwright
Loudon Wainwright
Teddy Thompson
Richard Thompson
The Hives
The White Stripes
Jude
Pete Yorn

I really hate that,
1 to 10 rating scale,
but I am going to use it here.

Rufus Wainwright--- Top notch, on the contemporary music scene. 9+

Loudon Wainwright--- Writes clever, socially relevant songs, will have to check for material I have not heard. Dead Skunk, made him famous, but is one of his lesser works. 8

Teddy Thompson--- sorry, not familiar

Richard Thompson--- again top notch, I?ve seen him a few times, I like the ?Rumor and Sigh? L P, 8++

The Hives--- Big Thumps Up, playing their disc a lot lately, its short, like them songs. Lot of energy, lot of fun, reminds me of some early Kinks, when Rock and Roll was more than a marketing slogan, 8-9

The White Stripes--- Two people, make better and more music than over 90 per cent of the anything you will hear on the radio or see on the charts, Sure his voice is not always pretty, little sloppy and dirty. Who cares. These guys and the Hives are legitimate. What the Stokes are trying hard to pass themselves off as. 8-9

Jude--- not familar.

Pete Yorn --- I played the hell out of MFTMA cd. Liked it alot. As of late, losing a little interest. Not fair, I know, but methinks, a little too trendy! 7

Based upon your mix here I will check out T. Thompson and Jude.

I would recommitment Badly Drawn Boy ?Hour of Our Bewiderbeast?

Last edited:
clarityat3am said:
Well this is my list of bands/musicians that I've been listening to as of late. I don't think you can really compare them since they fall into different genres of music, but what's your opinion on them?

The Hives
The White Stripes

The Hives are excellent live...!!! REally good love them

Also love the White Stripes

And the Strokes are also very good as are the Dandy Warhols and Badly Drawn Boy if u r interested in any more bands!

Sprry but i havent heard ne of the others music lol :drool:

deep said:

Teddy Thompson--- sorry, not familiar

Jude not familar.

Teddy is Richard's son and was on tour with Rufus. Jude...well, I think he's talented and unfortunately not well known enough.

Last edited:
Nice list, clarity! :)

Rufus Wainwright -- I like him, but don't listen to his music a lot. His Poses cd always makes me envision a musical. :D
Loudon Wainwright -- Haven't listened to much of him, so I can't really comment. :slant:
Teddy Thompson -- Haven't listened to anything or anything by
Richard Thompson. What do they sound like? I always need more music!!
The Hives -- I think they're fun, but not a great musical force or anything. The thing where they made up the story about how they got together is hilarious. Definitely entertaining, and I've heard they put on a great live show. Thanks to MTV2 screwing up the $2 Bill ticket-getting process, I may never know. Not that I'm bitter at all. :mad:
The White Stripes -- Really fun as well, and another band I want to see live. The songs are cute, and Meg White spells Megan the correct way. :) Also, I love the whole marriage license controversy. I've heard, however, that Jack White actually has a great voice (as opposed to the way he usually sings), and sometimes it slips through in concert.
Jude -- Don't know them/him. More info, please. ;)
Pete Yorn -- I completely agree with deep on this one!

Have you listened to Jack Johnson at all? Given what you've listed, you might like him. :)

Some songs to download if you're not familiar with someone on my list:

Rufus Wainwright - Poses, Beauty Mark, Grey Gardens, Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, Foolish Love, California

Loudon Wainwright - various things on NPR, Dreaming (from 28 Days soundtrack), Dead Skunk In The Middle Of The Road (quit laughing he's a folk artist! lol), Missing You, Surviving Twin, Donations

Teddy Thompson - So Easy, Wake Up, All We Said, Love Her For That

Richard Thompson - Persuasion, Tear Stained Letter, Ballad of Easy Rider, Wall of Death, When The Spell Is Broken

The Hives - Hate To Say I Told You So, Main Offender, Inspection Wise 1999, ADA I-D-I-O-T

The White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl, We're Going To Be Friends, Hotel Yorba, Little Room, Now Mary

Jude - Everything's All Right, Sit Ups, Oh Boy, Rick James, Prophet, I Do

Pete Yorn - Strange Condition, Murray, Just Another, Life On A Chain

Last edited:
[color=royal blue]Rufus Wainwright: He's funny....love his voice. Good background music. Makes me feel cultured. Good song writing. ("POSES"! "Instant Pleasure")

Loudon Wainwright: Don't know yet

Teddy Thompson: canNOT stop listening to him. Love the country folk emo thang he has going on. Good voice, song writing. ("Wake Up" and "All We Said" :))

Richard Thompson: Don't know yet

The Hives: Kind of get annoyed at the guy's voice after awhile. Couple of good songs though. I like "Find Another Girl"

The White Stripes: Like 'em. Some of the songs seem kinda short sometimes. I like "Little Room" and "Pretty Good Lookin" and "FELLINLOVEWITHAGAARRLL"

Jude: REALLY think he could do more. Sometimes I don't like his high voice. Think he has potential to do something more. I like the No One is Really Beautiful CD

Pete Yorn: LOVE LOVE LOVE I have a GREAT feeling aboot this guy's future. Oh like you have to ask me about my opinion on Pete.....;) Seriously, music wise I think he's excellent. The covers he does are GREAT

P.S. Love Jukebox Junkies, Remy Zero, and Matt Nathanson.....
[/color]

Back
Top Bottom