Your favourite song with cowbells in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
Don't you like how I added 'in' to the end of that sentence to make it sound better?

Article - The one track that Ed Harcourt thinks the rest of the world ought to hear...

From Word Magazine, April 2004
Kangaroo by Big Star

Ed Harcourt: Penned by the great Alex Chilton when on the brink of collapse, if not already immersed in it. It's so neurotic and a bit scary but so fucking sexy too! And what's with the cowbells?! It confuses the hell out of me but in a way that only makes me more obsessed with its origin.
I heard that he recorded it late at night with his girlfriend at the controls of the mixing desk; I also heard that heroin was involved (what a surprise).
It seems that quite a few bands discovered the downward spiral after the swinging '60s- free love and all that. After Altamont and Vietnam, people joining cults, unhappy and strung out on drugs, the '70s seems like such a desperate time. There is a Jeff Buckley version of this song which has that trademark dissection that he does so well, but I haven't heard anyone else cover it. If I ever write a song as mad and beautiful as this I'll be happy.

ooh, there's a ountdown thingie in spin that has the top five (or is it ten?) songs with cowbell.

you know what was in there.

oh, bonochick would be happy because there's a ryan adams list in there too.

the rapture like to use the cowbell...

unfortunatly that didn't make me like them :down:

Who saw the SNL episode where they acted out the recording of Don't Fear the Reaper and had the guy beating the cowbell with his stomach hanging out?! :laugh:

cowbell.gif

BluberryPoptart said:
Who saw the SNL episode where they acted out the recording of Don't Fear the Reaper and had the guy beating the cowbell with his stomach hanging out?! :laugh:

....I think I did........maybe not......

mofo82 said:
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell !!! - Chistopher Walken as Bruce Dickenson, SNL skit

:lol: That is one of my favorite music themed sketched ... that and the sketch where all of the dead musicians like Jim Morrison and Louis Armstrong form a band with Jesus as the producer

BluberryPoptart said:

I did, and now everytime I hear that song, I think of that sketch and start giggling. Then try to explain why, "oh another SNL skit, :rolls eyes: <---typical response from friend and/or family member.

And I start to hear cowbells in other songs because of it, Larry uses the cowbell, hehe.

Are you Bruce Dickerson?

"The" Bruce Dickerson.

If the man wants more cow-bell...we need MORE COW-BELL!

I have seen both Alex Chilton and Jeff Buckley perform Kangaroo live (but not at the same time).

Woo hoo, you can all touch me now.

:D

Back
Top Bottom