Your Favorite Punk Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow...this thread suddenly became very punk :happy: It's hard to overpraise The Clash, no matter what, or who, got you listening to them. Sure, there are many other punk acts, but they set the bar. They created meaningful anarchy, instead of the predictable territory of chasing women and booze.

This could be a classic example of "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" Who's to say that someone posting here didn't get into The Clash/Ramones/etc. before getting into U2? Why automatically assume that U2 was the onset of every other musical interest? Just throwing that out there. I don't actually have anything more I wish to contribute to this punk discussion :happy:

carrieluvv said:
this punk song is dedicated to I W B

Heart Attack Man - Beastie Boys - ya thats right -the beastie boys

and before ya say " they arent punk" why not takea listen

there seems to be a whole lotta GOUT RAGE at this thread

who says you have to know the whole punk catalog to enjoy a punk song..

IWB:" AHA....you pee ons you dont know true punk with your clash and sex pistols contributions- ive been there - ive been there in the drunken haristylin' haircuts and the torn puke stenched jumpers.the safety pins.
the crap relations with mom and dad
oh yes....ive been there............... and you have not because i havent seen you there but i want you to believe that i rock so much harder than you do !"

:applaud:

* just wanted to add I did give the ramones, clash and other bands I mentioned earlier [with the exception of television] a listen before i ever got into u2...
'punk' was the music I listened to before and for the most part I now know I had crap taste.

i'm fairly a new u2 fan [no more than 7 years]...and got into them mostly through listening to the police and the smiths...

I know this is a U2 forum but I don't get how so many assume everyone's life here revolves around them. I really doubt people go around basing their music taste on bands, music etc...cause Bono says he likes it...it's one thing to discover something that way and genuinely like it but to like it for the sake's of some musician/celebrity's praise is ridiculous.
And I actually get the feeling that the majority of posters here are nice, smart, decent human beings [with good musical taste] ...and I'm being totally honest. Unfortunately some people come off like they're always nitpicking on others over differences of opinion or taste...and I'm sure I've come off that way before without even noticing. But that being said, let's embrace our differences of music [unless you like creed...than that's a whole different story:wink:]....

-apologies for the overlenghty post
:happy:

carrieluvv said:
ANGELA ,

I need to know how I amde ya feel girl!

Im feeling a bit of low self esteem right now and i just need a smile from someone before i get all kooky and go find some guns and dress like GI Joe and go on a hike thru LA and just act over all very scary

love,
Carrie

Dont sweat :wink: I have no idea what your post above meant, but let's just leave it. It's easier, it seems lol.

Radiators from Space - TV Screen

do PIL count as punk or are people going to get fussy and say 'NO! POST-PUNK YOU IDIOT!' ??

yertle-the-turtle said:
Has anyone ever heard that Mission of Burma song I listed?

Because that is one awesome song.

Hell, IWB, do you like Mission of Burma? They're from down your area, aren't they?

yeah, they're from boston, right? i never got into their stuff. not sure why. the songs i heard really didn't win me over and sounded remniscent of a certain kind of sound i've never been too into? don't know. i don't hate them, i just don't really know much of the music. i'll go check out that song. :up:

achtung_bebe - yeah, that's entirely possible that people here were clash/ramones fans before listening to u2. so possible that it's even true! i was listening to the clash before i started listening to u2 (shhhh, shouldn't say that, it will only fuel your suspicions that i think i'm punker than you all). when davec had his inane classic rock survivor threads, u2kitten came along and accused me of what you all think i'm saying. i'm saying that evidence from this thread implies that this is the case based on the observation that no one ever discusses anything they claim to be punk rock (hey, some elvis costello sounds punk to me, and i've said the same thing lazarus said about the beatles sounding pretty punk fucking rock), whereas u2kitten just wanted to tell everyone that the clash sucked and whatever band dave put them up against was better.

again, nowhere did i say i'm more punk rock than you guys, you just read it into my posts because you wanted to see it. i still listen to plenty of things that scenesters consider not cool anymore, i don't go to 1/4 of the shows i'd like to go to. i can post that until i'm blue in the fingers, but it's not like any of you actually read it. it's not like i'm in EYIW, accusing people who don't own october or only know WOWY/streets/beautiful day of not being true u2 fans or anything.

Last edited:
gareth brown said:
Radiators from Space - TV Screen

do PIL count as punk or are people going to get fussy and say 'NO! POST-PUNK YOU IDIOT!' ??

Check out my earlier post!
Pil are original punk! Post sex pistols but still punk! The first 3 albums are amazing. Lydon lost it though once he started using session muso's...bring back Jah Wobble i say.....

IWasBored said:
achtung_bebe - yeah, that's entirely possible that people here were clash/ramones fans before listening to u2. so possible that it's even true! i was listening to the clash before i started listening to u2 (shhhh, shouldn't say that, it will only fuel your suspicions that i think i'm punker than you all). when davec had his inane classic rock survivor threads, u2kitten came along and accused me of what you all think i'm saying. .... again, nowhere did i say i'm more punk rock than you guys, you just read it into my posts because you wanted to see it.

I see -- I am not familiar with these 'inane' classic rock survivor threads or the accusations that came with them -- should I be sorry I missed it? :happy:

u2 - vertigo

i like to refer to it as punk rock from venus

That is incredibly punk--Chizip wins, hands down. :up:

Punk is as much or more about an attitude and ethos as it is about genre-based limitations on the musical form or the mainstream pedigree (or lack of one) that an artist possesses.

I had some students write a paper about how Green Day had abandoned their punk roots by wearing eyeliner and bashing Bush. My rebuttal was hhundreds of words long, but I think they misunderstand "punk" and the history of Green Day who cut their chops at Gilman Street in the Bay Area hotbed of commie homocore bands and the like. (I mean, they took Pansy Division out as openers on their first arena tour).

Now, many punks have gone completely acoustic, thus prompting one critic to claim "Folk is the new punk" and of course we all know that folk is the old punk.

Who is more punk than Woody "this guitar kills fascists" Guthrie?

Face To Face: 1000x, AOK & Disconnected.
NOFX: Shopping Cart
Blink 182: What's My Age Again, All The Small Things
Green Day: 80, Welcome To Paradise, Longview
The Replacements: Love You Till Friday, Customer
Lit: My Own Worst Enemy
All: Shreen, Guilty, Long Distance
Social Distortion: Wrong
Gameface: Election Year, The Last Song

Anu said:
Punk is as much or more about an attitude and ethos as it is about genre-based limitations on the musical form or the mainstream pedigree (or lack of one) that an artist possesses.

I had some students write a paper about how Green Day had abandoned their punk roots by wearing eyeliner and bashing Bush. My rebuttal was hhundreds of words long, but I think they misunderstand "punk" and the history of Green Day who cut their chops at Gilman Street in the Bay Area hotbed of commie homocore bands and the like. (I mean, they took Pansy Division out as openers on their first arena tour).

Now, many punks have gone completely acoustic, thus prompting one critic to claim "Folk is the new punk" and of course we all know that folk is the old punk.

saying green day strayed from their punk roots is stupid because essentially they're still playing some form of punk rock music. but so is the eye make-up and bush-bashing. it's not any kind of punk attitude to stand up on a stage at the vans warped tour (read: punk rock at its most corporate) and get a "fuck bush" chant going. they're preaching to the converted, and they're preaching to the converted masses who all of a sudden like green day because they dress like my chemical romance. not to say OMG tehy rnt punx bcuz they don't have the original version of slappy hours or something, because i couldn't care less when some kid started liking a band. chances are, given the majority of the kids i see at shows wearing green day shirts these days are a good 6 or 7 years younger than me, and i was only like 10 or something when dookie came out. they changed their image to appear relavent and sell more records. sure, making money is the whole point of it, but if the whole punk attitude has to do with spitting in the face of society and doing what you want, making the music you want to make, because that's what you want to do and not because it will appeal to the current market... what they did in the past as far as taking pansy division out on tour doesn't matter. in the past they also put out warning, which personally i thought was great. i'd have been content if they'd put out more pop-punk songs about being bored and masturbating (although, i am extremely sick of hearing "long view") because they do the catchy pop-punk thing well. but you grow up, and suddenly you don't want to be that guy anymore. with warning, they branched out a bit on that. american idiot seemed like a pre-midlife crisis attempt at appealing to the younger crowd, rather than rolling with the years.

i don't like nofx, and i generally think fat mike is full of shit, but at least he's involved (or was, i don't keep up with his career) with the punkvoter thing. feel free to correct me, but aside from maybe some mtv anybody but bush ads last election, has green day done anything? along the same lines, anti-flag are basically caricatures of political punk. tell me that a kid wearing an anti-flag "fuck the army" shirt, while walking around at the warped tour, eating a slice of domino's pizza isn't misguided and uninformed. i'd like to see that arguement, provided the person presenting it isn't equally uninformed as that kid.

other than against me! (and weren't the last couple albums mostly pretty much electric? i don't know, i really don't like them much), i can't think of these other acoustic punks. enlighten me.

agreed, woody gutherie = punk fucking rock.

Snowlock said:

Lit: My Own Worst Enemy

Social Distortion: Wrong

:lol: holy shit, i forgot about that lit song. they were so bad. i told my friend that when i got an electric guitar that would be the first song i wanted to play. no fucking way!

"i was wrong"? :confused:

hell, if we're bringing Woody Guthrie into this then how about Dylan doing Maggie's Farm?

that's punk. going electric in defiance of all the folkies, and the lyrics on top of it.

Anu said:

:lol: Completely true...it is about attitude, as you say. Bands such as Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have a kind of punk ethos, though they're considered "modern rock" or whatever the tag is at the moment. With Pearl Jam, I find it interesting how they're seemingly slipping back into their original influences. Many of the songs are now shorter, punchier, and more political.

With Green Day, I think they took their first beating from the "hardcore" fans when Dookie was released...when they signed a mega-buck deal with one of the big major labels, and started doing videos, etc. The thing that impresses me about Green Day is how they've stretched themselves as artists. I'm not one of those hardcore fans, but I admire a band that can take a look around and truly capture a moment in time.

this thread has turned pretty awesome.

um, I think... my favorite punk song would have to be... 'history lesson part 2' by the minutemen. is that punk? who knows. (who cares?)

EDIT: or, jeez, add on 'bastards of young', 'marquee moon' and husker du's cover of 'eight miles high'.

Last edited:
Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
ESP - The Buzzcocks
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones

Predictable I know, but awesome songs all the same

Like I've said elsewhere: punk may be about 'spitting in the face' of the establishment, but there's a way to do it and there's a way not to do it. I like the idea of punk insofar as there needs to be a medium to express outrage at society and the desire to have that society change. I dislike the use of that medium to self-promote, particularly when it comes to the promotion of anarchism (which is an absolutely ridiculous concept), and also when it comes to the incitement of unguided rage.

I can hardly blame punk music for the idiocy of the younger crowds (re: highschool kids mostly) that follow it, and seem to (one way or another) be under the impression that breaking windows and tipping over mailboxes is the proper vehicle for social reform... but frankly, that shit isn't practical, it accomplishes nothing (except perhaps provokes a reaction from the already stronger powers that are so "oppressive") and it makes a mockery of all the hard work people put in to trying to make positive changes, and I might even go so far as to say that violent immature bullshit actually sets back progressive changes. Violence and vandalism tends not to phase the fabulously wealthy, the multi-national corporation, etc... they have large enough safety nets to prevent them from being too affected.

If 'anarchism', and the placement of individual self-interest and freedom as the highest priority, which effectively culminates in a 'might = right' scenario (because, truth be told, 6 billion individuals cannot work as individuals in any cohesive and non-conflicting manner), then a social majority is stronger than the social minority and is therefore right to oppress that minority no matter what the minority feels about this scenario. Clearly, this is ridiculous, and noone who actually cares about individual self-interest and freedom would advocate this position; because it leaves them open to unbridaled oppression the likes of which they don't currently face. I mean, seriously. Sure, you may work a shitty job, for shitty pay, with a shitty boss, but its that same shitty job, shitty money, shitty boss, that keep food in your stomach and all that jazz. Really, how many of us can truly say that if all our social safety nets were removed that we could be entirely self-sufficient -- and even if we can, would our lives be made better for it? Not likely many of us, and not likely that it would do us a damn bit of good.

If people want to make changes, then let them argue it out and establish why things in society are wrong and why they need to be changed. The exploitation of blue collar workers, for one. The treatment of the unemployed and/or homeless, for another. The treatment of racial minorities. And on, and on, and on. The answer to this is not the immature, uninformed, ignorant belief of school-children who believe that social-destruction is the punk ideology; destroying society would be the worst thing to do. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. That'd be like getting a papercut on your finger, recognizing it needs healing, and cutting off your arm in response. 'Well, my finger doesn't hurt anymore!' you'd say, as you bled to death from your should stump.

Maybe I never gave the Sex Pistols a fair shot, but from what I've said, it shouldn't come as much of a suprise that I have nothing but contempt and disgust for them.

Dis-assembled boy band?

De-constructed boy band!?......

Rotten/lydons voice still gives me goosebumps.....

I have a hard time beliveing that so many are are posting favorite songs by the cliched big punks bands. Ramones, Sex Pistols etc. If that's honestly what you like cool they're good but it seems so cliched almost as if people feel their music credibility is at stake if they don't mention one of these bands in this thread. Oh well. To be brutally honest I'm not a big fan of the punk music I grew up with(NOFX, Jugheads Revenge, Bouncing Souls, etc) and I don't know a hell of alot about the roots of punk music. Haveing said all that I really like Face To Face I pick:

Blind - Face to Face

Last edited:
Hallucination said:
I have a hard time beliveing that so many are are posting favorite songs by the cliched big punks bands. Ramones, Sex Pistols etc. If that's honestly what you like cool they're good but it seems so cliched almost as if people feel their music credibility is at stake if they don't mention one of these bands in this thread. Oh well. To be brutally honest I'm not a big fan of the punk music I grew up with(NOFX, Jugheads Revenge, Bouncing Souls, etc) and I don't know a hell of alot about the roots of punk music. Haveing said all that I really like Face To Face I pick:

Blind - Face to Face

dude, read my posts from page 1.

Back
Top Bottom