Your 2007 concert calendar.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i never go to concerts, so i totally forgot about this thread, but i finally have something to add to it :wink:

last night, i saw a prairie home companion at tanglewood in MA, which is technically a radio broadcast, but james taylor was there, so it was sort of a concert
i only went because my grandfather and great uncle wanted to go :shrug: the skits were pretty funny, but i didn't recognize most of the music, seeing as pretty much the entire crowd was over 55, so they were playing old songs
it was all right :shrug:

and then, at the end of august...........AMERICAN IDOLS LIVE!! :yawn: my sister got the tickets for her birthday, app. 6th row, so should be interesting :shrug:

vivalapopedge said:
i never go to concerts, so i totally forgot about this thread, but i finally have something to add to it :wink:

last night, i saw a prairie home companion at tanglewood in MA, which is technically a radio broadcast, but james taylor was there, so it was sort of a concert
i only went because my grandfather and great uncle wanted to go :shrug: the skits were pretty funny, but i didn't recognize most of the music, seeing as pretty much the entire crowd was over 55, so they were playing old songs
it was all right :shrug:

and then, at the end of august...........AMERICAN IDOLS LIVE!! :yawn: my sister got the tickets for her birthday, app. 6th row, so should be interesting :shrug:

I listened to that on the radio -- on the way to a Fourth of July party. I thought James Taylor sounded okay but the singing Happy Birthday part was pretty lame.

I went to see Ben Folds and John Mayer last night.

Ben Folds is a family friend so we try to show up wherever he plays. He gave us wonderful tickets just five rows back from the stage. He always plays his heart out and this was no exception. A lot of the kids in the audience didn't know his work so he explained some of his classic songs, and those of us who are fans sang along (Landed among them.) In all, a good solid hour of music.

Then John came out, and I had exactly the same reaction to him as I did the last time I saw him in MSG. He can't figure out what he wants to be. He obviously can play, and he has a good group of backup musicians including a couple of guitar players who are hot. He seems almost embarrassed by his hit songs, and otherwise he seems bored on stage: while other musicians were playing their solos, he was chatting with the drummer, chatting with the keyboard artists, and basically looking at his watch.

He also seemed bored when he was playing himself -- unless he was playing blues, which is not what the audience wanted to hear. (At one point he said, "Do you want to hear some blues" and the crowd yelled back, "No!!!!)

He came over to our side of the stage at one point, where he had a lot of friends, from the conversations around us. He looked so forlorn that I just automatically smiled at him to try to cheer him up. He looked at me and broke into a little grin, probably because he knew how hang dog he looked. I'd like to say that his performance picked up from there, but it didn't and we ended up leaving early.

We were talking about it in the car and decided that he can go one of two ways: big star, which means he's going to have to suck up and be happy about playing his hits, or else really get into the music and do everything he can with it. He isn't even 30 yet (right?) so it seems like he could take a year off with no repercussions, and get focused on what he wants to be.

july 13-15th: pitchfork music festival

july 18th: free decemberists show with grant park orchestra

september 7th: akron/family

september 10th: animal collective

september 18th: okkervil river

silvrlvr said:

I listened to that on the radio -- on the way to a Fourth of July party. I thought James Taylor sounded okay but the singing Happy Birthday part was pretty lame.

haha yeah :yes:

after the live broadcast, james taylor came back and started playing his more known songs, and doing a big singalong, but my mom dad and sister and i just left, it was kinda boring :yawn:
my gpa and uncle loved it though :wink:

silvrlvr said:
I went to see Ben Folds and John Mayer last night.

Ben Folds is a family friend so we try to show up wherever he plays. He gave us wonderful tickets just five rows back from the stage. He always plays his heart out and this was no exception. A lot of the kids in the audience didn't know his work so he explained some of his classic songs, and those of us who are fans sang along (Landed among them.) In all, a good solid hour of music.

Then John came out, and I had exactly the same reaction to him as I did the last time I saw him in MSG. He can't figure out what he wants to be. He obviously can play, and he has a good group of backup musicians including a couple of guitar players who are hot. He seems almost embarrassed by his hit songs, and otherwise he seems bored on stage: while other musicians were playing their solos, he was chatting with the drummer, chatting with the keyboard artists, and basically looking at his watch.

He also seemed bored when he was playing himself -- unless he was playing blues, which is not what the audience wanted to hear. (At one point he said, "Do you want to hear some blues" and the crowd yelled back, "No!!!!)

He came over to our side of the stage at one point, where he had a lot of friends, from the conversations around us. He looked so forlorn that I just automatically smiled at him to try to cheer him up. He looked at me and broke into a little grin, probably because he knew how hang dog he looked. I'd like to say that his performance picked up from there, but it didn't and we ended up leaving early.

We were talking about it in the car and decided that he can go one of two ways: big star, which means he's going to have to suck up and be happy about playing his hits, or else really get into the music and do everything he can with it. He isn't even 30 yet (right?) so it seems like he could take a year off with no repercussions, and get focused on what he wants to be.

I saw this same show at the Hollywood Bowl a month or so ago. And I agree with everything you said here. Ben Folds was energetic, fun and gave it everything he had. I would go see him again, especially at a smaller venue.

John Mayer comes out with a large contingent, has no energy, makes condescending comments about the crowd. Just not much going on there. He 's on the cover of Rolling Stone as one of the new guitar gods, yet he has two other guitar players with him, who handle most of the soloing, and are clearly much better than he is. Guitar god? Puhleeze. A big bore who should stick to pleasing the teeny boppers who were out in force at this show.

Rest of 2007 shaping up very nicely:

Crowded House
Incubus?
Squeeze
UB 40
Wilco ?
Genesis
White Stripes
Pogues (Yeah Yeah Yeah!) Halloween night
Decemberists tomorrow night with LA Philharmonic

Social Distortion tomorrow

Newly added:

White Stripes in September (I think)
Pogues in October

July 26th: Hot Hot Heat
July 28th: Rise Against (maybe)
July 29th: Projekt Revolution Tour (Emo bands and Placebo) :hyper:
September 14th: The Bravery
September 24th: Editors
October 23rd: Interpol (hopefully)
November 2nd, 3rd and 4th: Brand New and Thrice :drool: x3
December: Spice Girls! :lol:

Lara Mullen said:
Crowded House in November

:drool:

When the tickets for their concert in the Netherlands went up for sale last week, they sold out in a flash. Not surprising considering they're playing a theatre (the Finn Brothers played a mid-sized venue (~5,000) people two years ago, so that's a big difference). And no, I couldn't get any tickets for that gig. :sad: By chance I saw on Monday that an extra concert was added and that tickets went on sale that Monday. It wasn't even on the Ticketmaster site yet! So I called to them and I managed to get 2 excellent tickets (7th row)! :hyper:

This means that my 2007 concert calendar is currently looking like:
Concerts in the past:
18 February: Roger Waters, MMRDA Grounds, Mumbai (a great show and very nice to see so many Indians in to it)
10 March: The Waterboys, Vredenburg, Utrecht (again an excellent concert, even though it wasn't as good as the one last year. But from the first song on the band was ON!)
25 March: Shakira, MMRDA Grounds, Mumbai ( :combust: although the concert was quite short. Had a great time nonetheless.)
8 June: The Scene, Paradiso, Amsterdam (a bit of a nostalgia fest, but good to see the band back together again)
20 June: Lou Reed, Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam (he performed Berlin in its entirety and after 35 years it's still very compelling)
23 June: The Frames, Tivoli, Utrecht (amazing and very intense :bow: )

Concerts in the future:
17 to 19 August: Lowlands Festival, Biddinghuizen
16 October: Crowded House, Carré, Amsterdam

:hyper:

Popmartijn said:

:drool:

When the tickets for their concert in the Netherlands went up for sale last week, they sold out in a flash. Not surprising considering they're playing a theatre (the Finn Brothers played a mid-sized venue (~5,000) people two years ago, so that's a big difference). And no, I couldn't get any tickets for that gig. :sad: By chance I saw on Monday that an extra concert was added and that tickets went on sale that Monday. It wasn't even on the Ticketmaster site yet! So I called to them and I managed to get 2 excellent tickets (7th row)! :hyper:

I don't even think they've sold out here yet (and it's not in a huge venue either!)

UPPPPPDATE!!!

Big Day Out - Jan 28th
Muse - Jan 30th
Muse - Jan 31st
The Killers - Feb 1st
Roger Waters - Feb 2nd
Evanescence - Feb 10th
Evanescence - Feb 11th
Wolfmother - Mar 30th
Sarah Blasko - Apr 4th
Sarah Blasko - Apr 5th
Eskimo Joe, Little Birdy - May 18th
Sarah Blasko - July 18th
Snow Patrol - Sept 17th
Crowded House - Nov 9th

Last edited:
onebloodonelife said:
The Police (July 3rd)

That's it for now :shifty: I have a feeling that my concert schedule will get much better after I actually move up to Minneapolis :lol: Much closer access to shows :drool:

Added:
The Flaming Lips - Sept. 9th :hyper:

Finally, moving to Minneapolis will pay off the first weekend I'm there!

3/23 - Bloc Party [w/ Albert Hammond Jr]
5/19 - Arcade Fire
5/26 - May Day [Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace]
6/15 - Wilco
6/23 - The Alpha Primitives (my dad's band )

7/15 - Bob Dylan
7/31 - Interpol
8/4 - Lollapalooza (mainly for Tokyo Police Club, Spoon, and Muse)
9/12 - Bloc Party !!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

If all goes well, this is what my fall is looking like:

ACL Festival - September 14-16
Amiina - September 19
Interpol - September 26
Do Make Say Think - September 29
Stars - October 30
Funfunfunfest - November 3-4

GibsonGirl said:

Just kidding. :wink: Enjoy the shows, you two!

thanks :D I'm surprised at the number of good bands that have come through Indy, and it's nice to live only three hours away from Chicago.

Souly said:

You're going to hate me more when I say that it's a free show for me :shifty:

:censored: :wink:

When I move to Toronto, I am so getting a job at TicketBastard. I could have gone to the RW show on Saturday if I had a free ticket. The airline ticket only worked out to $600 when I checked. Oh well. :( I saw him twice, so I'm happy.

GibsonGirl said:

:censored: :wink:

When I move to Toronto, I am so getting a job at TicketBastard. I could have gone to the RW show on Saturday if I had a free ticket. The airline ticket only worked out to $600 when I checked. Oh well. :( I saw him twice, so I'm happy.

You plan on moving to Toronto? :hyper:

March 17 - Dropkick Murphys
April 23rd - Chris Cornell
June 22nd - The National

July 24th - Chris Cornell
August 11th - Muse
September 5th - Damien Rice
October 21st - Twelve Girls Band
November 11th - The Police

Back
Top Bottom