You can't do that in Canada, eh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
The following criminal offences and by-law infractions were selected from You Can't Do That in Canada: Crazy Laws from Coast to Coast, by Bev Spencer, published by Scholastic Canada Ltd. in 2000.

Provoking an alligator (Winnipeg)

Playing games in a cemetery (Toronto)

Exercising in a way that might frighten a horse (Quesnel, BC)

Failing to wear socks when you drive a taxi (Halifax)

Keeping a cow in your house (St. John's)

Dressing as an inanimate object while standing on the sidewalk
and waving in order to advertise a product (Victoria)

Painting wooden ladders (Alberta)

Throwing hammers on a public street (Kingston)

Handing out balloon animals to children (Victoria)

Living in a truck, bus, railcar or streetcar (Thompson, MB)

Allowing rodents to "run at large" (Oak Bay, BC)

Spitting (Kanata)

Failing to report every case of the flu (St. John's)

Removing your feet from the pedals while cycling (Ottawa)

Walking down the main street with untied shoelaces if you're a
teenager (Fort Qu'Appelle, SK)

Playing the flute without a permit (Windsor)

Owning a chipped or cracked Bathtub (Dartmouth)

Placing tables and chairs outside coffee shops between October
31 and April 7 (Edmonton)

Selling margarine that is the same colour as butter (Quebec)

Preparing a sandwich in a room containing a urinal (Halifax)

Dragging a dead horse down Yonge Street on a Sunday (Toronto)

Wearing a snake in public (Fredericton)

Last edited:
Mrs. Edge said:
Removing your feet from the pedals while cycling (Ottawa)

I wonder how many 7-year olds have done time for this one??

Mrs. Edge said:
Selling margarine that is the same colour as butter (Quebec)

My dad remembers this law in the United States from the 1940's. A relic of a once powerful dairy industry lobby.

silly canada

Mrs. Edge said:
Keeping a cow in your house (St. John's)

KIRK! YOU'RE A CRIMINAL!

:wink:

actual south dakota law that hasn't been taken off:

if 3 or more native americans are on your land, you can shoot them.

if 3 or more native americans are in a vehicle they can be imprisoned for inciting war-like activities.

:rolleyes:

:lol:
Those are pretty crazy.

There's a law in Chester, which is a town near the Welsh border, that if a Welsh person is found within the city walls of Chester at night then he can be shot with a bow and arrow. :ohmy:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I want to be an honorary Canuck.

:up:

As a Notoriety Republic, I'll bestow that honour upon you... if you change your avatar to a picture of Anne Murray:wink:

Sorry, dems da rules... plus you must put an extra "u" in each word that you use neighbour.

Mrs. Edge said:

Dragging a dead horse down Yonge Street on a Sunday (Toronto)

Sorry Mrs. Edge but I don't think I'll be visiting your lovely city anytime soon :tsk:

Here in the US, we're free to drag a dead horse down any street we damn well please.

:lol: :wave:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Anne Murray?!?!? :der:

Damn, if I knew the price would be so high, I would have said forget about it! :ohmy:

Ok, I've talked to the head mountie, and he says we can let this one slide... but from now on, it's Anne Murray avatars or nothing people.

"provoking an alligator" is the best one...no one in their right mind would do that!

I can understand the cow thing...but reporting every case of the flu?

what does that even mean?

Mrs. Edge said:
Failing to wear socks when you drive a taxi (Halifax)

Owning a chipped or cracked Bathtub (Dartmouth)

Preparing a sandwich in a room containing a urinal (Halifax)

i've lived here for 6 years and didn't even know. :lmao:

lol

Headache in a Suitcase said:
say an entire sentance without using the word "eh" or abooot" once- nationwide
I don't know if I can do that and I'm only from Michigan originally..lol

btw..Marc says the not pedalling marjarine as butter thing is canadian national law...I heard that the first time I tried to put I can't believe it's not butter on the table..roflmao..the mayo on the fries is a little hard to take though...<this just doesn't look right!

Last edited:
For the record, I STILL say that Canadians do not say "aboot" and "eh" is only used sometimes and in certain parts. I put the "eh" in the header as a JOKE!!!

A friend sent me the American equivalent of this, so I will post it in a minute....

Mrs. Edge said:
For the record, I STILL say that Canadians do not say "aboot" and "eh" is only used sometimes and in certain parts. I put the "eh" in the header as a JOKE!!!

:hmm:
There was a young lady that you knew that I spent some time with this past winter that would ALWAYS say "eh"

Last week I was with an associate from Ottawa - and she would also use "eh" often.

I am not sure if I have ever heard you use it - but you are special!

U2girl said:
"provoking an alligator" is the best one...no one in their right mind would do that!
Especially in Manitoba........ there are no alligators there!

:reject: I say "eh" all the time........ maybe it's more West Coast.

Mrs. Edge said:

:laugh: every single person that i have met from Canada has said "aboot" and "eh". i have met people from vancouver and toronto and some parts in between.

my exboyfriend's roommate was from vancouver and we would give him such hell over "aboot" and "eh" he swore up and down he didn't say that.

I think this whole "aboot" thing is some great American conspiracy or something. I have never, ever ever heard anyone say aboot. Maybe "aboat"....that I can see.....but BAW, you are full of baloney. I say "abowt"!!!! :tongue:

Zone, that's very interesting...I never noticed her saying "eh" all that much. There is one time when I was really guilty of this...I was at Tim Hortons, and as we were leaving I said "I really should have got a donut, eh?" :eek:

Speaking of that...I had 5 timbits today! :drool:

Mrs. Edge said:
I think this whole "aboot" thing is some great American conspiracy or something. I have never, ever ever heard anyone say aboot. Maybe "aboat"....that I can see.....
Indeed!!!!

In the interest of US-Canadian diplomatic relations, I vow never to bring up the word "aboot" in the presence of Mrs. Edge, Angel or any other lovely Canadian Interlander :wave:

But I still reserve the right to use "eh" for a laugh when necessary.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

:laugh: every single person that i have met from Canada has said "aboot" and "eh". i have met people from vancouver and toronto and some parts in between.

my exboyfriend's roommate was from vancouver and we would give him such hell over "aboot" and "eh" he swore up and down he didn't say that.

Well, I'm from Western Canada... and I've never had that kind of accent. For a short while, I lived in Texas... and the only way people knew I was Canadian was because I told them... and I didn't have that traditional y'all drawl. Anytime I do say "eh" and "aboot" it's just as a joke... there is a difference in American/Canadian accents, but I think there's a slight tendency to exaggerate on both sides.

What are you talkin aboot eh?:wink:

Back
Top Bottom