You can see the sea: The Fawlty Towers appreciation thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about when Sybil's asking Polly for the name of the horse she supposedly bet on?

"Flying tart!"

ribbons&bows said:
I only saw a couple of episodes on the QE II but I loved them :cute:

If only they showed it in the states :dreams:

Friday nights @ 10:30 on KOCE (I think its channel 50 in most of Orange County). :)

I've got all of them on DVD.

Brilliant, brilliant show.

The one with the Germans might be my favourite episode.

Aardvark747 said:
Manuel : "His name is Fawtly...FAWLTY"

Mrs Richards : "FAULTY? What's wrong with him?"

:wink:

"The manager is a Mr C. K. Watt, aged forty?"

And does anyone know if any stations in Tennessee broadcast Fawlty Towers, or where I'd look to find out? I'd love to be able to see it while I'm in the States.

Aardvark747 said:
What other British comedies do you get shown down ur way then Axver?

I think we, especially NZ, get pretty much whatever's produced over there, and not just the comedies. I think NZ has more American programming now, but about ten years ago when I lived there, most shows I knew were British. Most people I know will list some British shows in their favourites: I love stuff like Fawlty Towers and Blackadder, one of my friends thinks Keeping Up Appearances is the best ever, my mother's keen on the Vicar Of Dibley and a couple of others I can't remember, my entire grade nine Drama class couldn't get enough of watching Mr Bean one lesson (we got no work done!) - I can go on and on like that.

We even got fecking Coronation Street. :madspit:

And, yes, I know it's not British, but I miss Father Ted. Apparently some of its inspiration came from Fawlty Towers, and I haven't seen it on TV for a couple of years now.

How about Dad's Army / Porridge / One Foot In The Grave / Men Behaving Badly / Rising Damp / Goodnight Sweetheart / Last Of The Summer Wine / Hancock's Half Hour?

Any of those ring a bell?:wink:

Oh, and I'll always love Britain for giving me hours of pleasure during my childhood (and, er, more recent years :reject: ) thanks to the export of Thomas The Tank Engine. Ringo Starr will always be the voice of Thomas to me. Beatles? Was that a train?

Aardvark747 said:
How about Dad's Army / Porridge / One Foot In The Grave / Men Behaving Badly / Rising Damp / Goodnight Sweetheart / Last Of The Summer Wine / Hancock's Half Hour?

Any of those ring a bell?:wink:

I have a box sitting near me full of Dad's Army tapes. Classic stuff! :up:

Ah, One Foot In The Grave and Last Of The Summer Wine! Those are the two my mother watches a lot that I couldn't remember. On pay TV, there's actually a channel called UKTV which I love (unfortunately, we don't have pay TV on the television in my room and I rarely go out to the lounge), and Mum's recently discovered Goodnight Sweetheart but she says she can't really get into it. I'd check it out myself if it didn't involve leaving my room.

Men Behaving Badly is a show I've seen bits and pieces of, especially when I've been ill and channelsurfing at random hours, but I've never really properly watched it.

Good man to have the Dad's Army set - Me too!!:wink: I would say, that has to be THE finest that Britain has produced when it comes to comedy. I know, I know - "what about F.T?" That rates a close 2nd, but to me, a comedy that can produce 81 episodes over 10 years, and a full-length film, AND many radio episodes, and NEVER lose it's magic - has gotta be special.

CHEERS TO DAD'S ARMY!!!:wink:

Aardvark747 said:
Good man to have the Dad's Army set - Me too!!:wink: I would say, that has to be THE finest that Britain has produced when it comes to comedy. I know, I know - "what about F.T?" That rates a close 2nd, but to me, a comedy that can produce 81 episodes over 10 years, and a full-length film, AND many radio episodes, and NEVER lose it's magic - has gotta be special.

CHEERS TO DAD'S ARMY!!!:wink:

While Dad's Army is great, it just doesn't make me laugh until I cry like Fawlty Towers does. To me, Fawlty Towers is absolutely everything a comedy should be.

And I always admire a lead character who says what the rest of us think! :wink:

Aardvark747 said:
"A gin and orange....a lemon SQUASH.....AND A SCOTCH AND WATER PLEASE"!!!!!!

(Fans of the Melbury ep should be familiar with this final line!):wink:

The final scene with Lord and Lady Morris is classic.

"You'll like it here ...!"

:lmao:

What really gets me is his absolute desperation to get them to stay when they are first driving off, though. :lol:

"Yes we've just heard....that the Duke of Buckley...is....dead. Yes -got his head knocked off, by a golf ball - Tragic Tragic. Well how are you then? Alright mate? Howz me old mucker? Any valuables to deposit Sir Richard,k any bricks...or?"

(Melbury Runs)

"YOU BASTARD"!!!

[to Manuel]
This Basil. This Sybil. This smack on head.

[Manuel, speaking of the builder Mr O'Reilly/ O'Riley]
Suddenly Orilly man hit me very hard!!
*audio tape*

[Showing off his pet RAT, Basil.]
Is Filigree Siberian hamster. Special price, only £5.

Fawlty Towers? HELL YEAH!

*takes medication and prepares to put nice white jacket with crossed sleeves on* Okay. I'm calm again now.

I still can't believe there were only 12 episodes! My mum bought them all on audio cassette for me in the late '80s. Hours of fun had by all... I was 10 then,and I STILL remember most of the script!

I remember John Cleese getting really irritated not too long ago, having a moan that he and Connie Booth wrote the entire series together, but people constantly gave him all the credit.

On a related tangent: I adore Michael Palin!!

Last edited:
Now that I have stopped laughing....

We used to get Blackbooks, which was absolutely brilliant. Oh and Ab Fab:drool:

Eliv8 said:
Brilliant. This show always cracks me up.

This one and Flowery Twats

:lmao:

It surprises me that they got that past the censors!

Back
Top Bottom