Yikes! Kelly Clarkson Debuts at Number One!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Yep, it's true. The first winner from the American Idol series is now a retail idol selling some 200,000+ copies of her debut album.

Anyone care to venture an opinion about her "career"?

:crack:

to be honest, this surprises me.

i thought shed be old news already.

my advice to all of you:

"STOP WATCHING THE SHOW"

i'm gonna venture out here to say that i think it's nice.
there are a lot of young girls out there who could use a more wholesome singing star to look up to other than brittney spears. i haven't heard her new album, but if it's anything like her last song, i'd rather have my ten year old daughter listening to kelly clarkson than brittney or christina or j. lo.

i say good for her :up:

Well, personally, I think the songs she recorded are crap (at least the two that I've heard). But the girl does have a good voice. If I had the choice, no, this wouldn't be number one, but I really don't see the horror of it all.

I also don't understand the general vehemence against American Idol. You can watch it, be entertained and amused by it (and it's more than occasional lameness ;) ) and still not subscribe to the sort of manufactured pop star idea that it proports. And, you know, not buy the album. At least for me, it's just a little bit of mindless fun.

I guess I just don't see how this is worse than anything else we see topping the charts...

bonosgirl84 said:
there are a lot of young girls out there who could use a more wholesome singing star to look up to other than brittney spears. i haven't heard her new album, but if it's anything like her last song, i'd rather have my ten year old daughter listening to kelly clarkson than brittney or christina or j. lo.

are you trying to pick a fight with me?

Zoomerang96 said:
are you trying to pick a fight with me?

:crazy: nope. just trying to be a decent parent. now hush and let me do my job.

*gives a copy of the kelly clarkson cd to all the little girls of america*

Bear....she's so not trying to pick a fight...she's a mom...something you haven't a clue about :madspit: I see your point, bonosgirl84 :kiss:
*suddenly gets a vision of bear being Mr. Mom in fuzzy slippers and pink bathrobe*
:lmao:
I, for one, won't be buying this album. It's so off the shelf for me.
And I gotta admit...I love watching American Idol for the sole reason that it's a singing competition. Personally I couldn't care less what happens with them afterward with record contracts, yadda fookin yadda, I know that whoever wins and whatever music they come out with, I will NOT be buying it. I don't do that kind of pop. :lol:
But I love singing competitions. Dammit I could watch them all day.:yes:

The problem I have with American Idol is this -

The pursuit of fame and a singing career is hard enough and a very denegrating and humbling experience. Very traumatic thing to pursue. I just wish that these talented young people didn't have to go through that on national television.

Christina actually co-wrote the first single..I think it's called Miss Independent

I wouldn't buy this CD, but I do watch American Idol..I just think it's a nice mindless diversion :shrug:

HelloAngel said:

The pursuit of fame and a singing career is hard enough and a very denegrating and humbling experience. Very traumatic thing to pursue. I just wish that these talented young people didn't have to go through that on national television.

True! There have been numerous occasions where it seems degradation was the rule of the day. Simon and his quips about people's weight, hair, clothes...on top of his often unfair critiques on someone's singing is enough to ruin some people's self esteems for a lifetime and then some.
Case in point:
That blond chick Carmen a couple of weeks back did her thing and Simon came up with this (more or less):

"You sound like a little kid singing at a house party...if I were your parents, I'd tell you to shut up"

:der:
Okay...it might be funny to many...but my god...if you're not a strong person and don't completely believe in yourself...a comment like that could tear a person apart and never want to sing again. :sigh:

HelloAngel said:

Nobody is forcing them to do it though. They are doing it on their own will.

I'm really surprised Kelly had the #1 album though...I didn't realize she had such a following. I mean, I've watched every episode of American Idol (except for one show when our cable was out)...but I have never cast a vote or bought any American Idol stuff. :shrug:

bonosgirl84 said:

:yes:

there's a lot of shitty people out there right now with records in the top 20. better for her top be #1, at least she's got some morals it seems.

She's got a nice voice, but that "A Moment Like This" song is the syrupiest thing ever! :yuck:

Count me in among those who will never, ever watch American Idol.

Do I like the songs - NO. Does she have a good voice and actually sing - hell yes.

she sold almost 300,000 copies. She was on a show for 6 months with an audience of up to almost 40 million people. 300,000 isn't huge considering and this would have been a LOT bigger number if she would have had an album come out right after she actually won the title of American Idol.

I'm glad it beat 50 cent to honest.

And as for Americans being "sheep" - this show was first in England and had a much more profound effect on the success of the winners than the show here in America.

Back
Top Bottom