Yankees block chowds from Colon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Yanks plan block party
Deal would keep Colon from Bosox
By BILL MADDEN AND ROGER RUBIN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS
Yankees are working on trade to make sure Expos pitcher Bartolo Colon does not end up with the Red Sox. The Bombers would get Colon from the Expos, then turn around and ship him to the White Sox.
Orlando Hernandez would go to Montreal.
The Yankees are working on writing another great chapter in their bitter rivalry with the Red Sox.
Sources told The Daily News yesterday that general manager Brian Cashman spent much of the day trying to negotiate a three-way deal with the Expos and either the Marlins or White Sox that would involve 20-game winner Bartolo Colon.
The primary motivation for the Yankees to make a deal is to keep Colon away from the Red Sox, who have been trying to make a deal for the Expos righthander.
In the deals under consideration, Colon would not end up in pinstripes but with the third team, Florida or Chicago, which would send the Yankees a top prospect. The Expos would get the Yanks' Orlando Hernandez, but would have to pay only a portion of the $4 million-$5 million salary he is expected to be awarded in arbitration.
Already the Yankees and Red Sox have had one of the most acrimonious offseasons in memory and, as usual, the Bosox have been on the short end. The Sox were among the initial suitors for Hideki Matsui, the Japanese slugger who signed a $21 million deal with the Bombers. Boston was also snubbed by Cuban righthander Jose Contreras when he opted for the Yanks' $32 million offer instead of a more lucrative deal from Boston.
The Contreras episode escalated tensions between the clubs and Boston president Larry Lucchino even called the Yankees "the evil empire."
In response, George Steinbrenner told The Daily News, "That's B.S. That's how a sick person thinks. ... He's not the kind of guy you want to have in your foxhole. He's running the team behind John Henry's back. I warned John it would happen, told him, 'Just be careful.' He talks out of both sides of his mouth. He has trouble talking out of the front of it."
Boston's 29-year-old general manager was also livid when he learned of Contreras' decision. Sources told The News that Theo Epstein broke a window and door after hearing he lost out to the Yankees. Epstein also was said to have broken a chair during the winter meetings after losing out to the Giants on Edgardo Alfonzo, though the Red Sox deny both incidents happened.
Though the Yankees' rotation should be formidable next season, keeping Colon away from their division rivals is an added insurance policy. Boston has been seeking a third top-flight starter to go with Pedro Martinez and Derek Lowe, who finished 2-3 in the 2002 Cy Young Award voting behind Barry Zito of Oakland. At one time Boston hoped Contreras would be it.
A deal that involves El Duque would make things easier for Joe Torre, who at yesterday's Matsui press conference was clearly concerned about how to fit the eight starters on the Yanks' roster into his five-man rotation.
"My job is to put things together best I can," Torresaid. "The eight starters ? sure it's nice to say use five of them and put three in the bullpen ? but you're not dealing with playing cards in the basement. You're dealing with people."
The Yankees have last season's starting five ? RogerClemens, Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte, DavidWells and Hernandez ? as well as Jeff Weaver, Sterling Hitchcock and Contreras.
Torre admitted Clemens and Mussina appear to be locks for the rotation, but it's hard to envision taking out 19-game winner Wells or Pettitte, who was the Yanks' most consistent starter in the second half of 2002.
The Yankees did not sign Contreras to use him as a reliever, and Weaver was promised a spot in the rotation when he was relegated to the bullpen last year.
However, according to a club source, there is a possibility that Contreras will begin the season in the bullpen.
"I told (Weaver) last year when I put him in the bullpen that he was one of the future guys on this ballclub and that he's going to be a starter," Torre said. "But again, everybody can't start."

sick, sick sick, I am not a fan of either franchise but I hate the Yanks more..............dreadsox may be in a murderous state these days...

I don't see what is the problem with a team doing the best it can do to win, the Yankees are the highest revenue team in baseball, and also is the one that puts back most money in his attemp to win, so what is wrong? you want to cut down the revenue the Yankees get? The Yankess play by the rules, rules specially created to hurt their finances, rules that make Yankee money go to the pockets of cheap owners, wouldn't be better if most owners would put back more money in their teams, instead of saving it for their pockets?
With the new rules, its nothing but a lame excuse to keep blaming the Yankees for the mediocrity of other teams.
Aside of the Colon debate, the trade was great, El Duque became a question mark, while the Yankees got Antonio Osuna a though guy that will strenght the Yankee bullpen, Yankees now have something they lost when Gene Nelson left.

Last edited:
rafmed said:
I don't see what is the problem with a team doing the best it can do to win, the Yankees are the highest revenue team in baseball, and also is the one that puts back most money in his attemp to win, so what is wrong? you want to cut down the revenue the Yankees get? The Yankess play by the rules, rules specially created to hurt their finances, rules that make Yankee money go to the pockets of cheap owners, wouldn't be better if most owners would put back more money in their teams, instead of saving it for their pockets?
With the new rules, its nothing but a lame excuse to keep blaming the Yankees for the mediocrity of other teams.
Aside of the Colon debate, the trade was great, El Duque became a question mark, while the Yankees got Antonio Osuna a though guy that will strenght the Yankee bullpen, Yankees now have something they lost when Gene Nelson left.

ANy chance you are a Yankee fan??:|

Yankees and most of baseball is the reason ppl hate the sporting industry. They dont relize that very soon money is going to become a problem and baseball hockey and basketball(but to a lesser degree because of the small rosters) will be in a huge hole and be looking at restructering.

The Yankees play by the rules? Steinbrenner pretty much buys his team's way to the world series every year.... He's got so much money that "little" teams like Montreal and Milwaukee and half the teams out there can't afford to get big-name players that could help them perform better. I mean, now that these teams are getting a little more money, franchises like Philly blow all of it on one guy and send the costs of the players sky-high again...

Whoa yeah I'm rambling haha. It's not just the Yankees either... I mean, I'm sick of seeing the Braves always make it to the post-season, too. I wish other teams had a better chance... at least some new teams make it to the post-season last season. Especially Minnesota, after Selig threatened to get rid of 'em.

Anyway, if I offended anyone in this post, I didn't mean too, just thought I'd put my two cents in. :angel:

As a Mets fan, I have to deal with the Yankees, all their fans, and all their winning more than any other sort of fan in the nation... Red Sox fans included. It sucks. I hate it. It drives me off the friggin' wall. But it's not because I don't think it's fair... Yes, the Yankees spend a lot of money. Then again, so do the Mets... who stink... and the Texas Rangers... who stink... AND the Boston Red Sox... who haven't won a series since 1918. The Yanks spend a lot, but they spend it wisley. Check out two other New York teams... the Rangers and the Knicks. Both spend rediculous amounts of money... both stink. The Expos have had more talent come through their program then any team in the last 20 years... and they trade them all away... Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Larry Walker... the list goes on and on and on. Even as far back as Gary Carter and Andre Dawson... came up in the Expos program, traded them away before they got big. The Brewers are owned by Bud Selig. Anyone who believes his daughter took over the ownership when Bud became commish is fooling themselves. The Brewers use the Yankees as an excuse, when it's actually their own ineptitude that keeps them from winning. The Minnesota Twins don't spend a lot of money, neither does Anaheim. They did alright for themselves this year, last time I checked. Selif wanted to get rid of the Twins, saying they couldn't compete. Bull dinky. Isn't it ironic that the closest team to the Twins geographicly, and the team that would stand to gain the most from their contraction, was the Selig family's very own Milwaukee Brewers? Hmmmm...

HATE THE YANKEESSSSSSSSS

I HATE THEM HATE THEM.....

Jesus....help me I hate them....

Back to therapy!!!

Yankees suck. I know how cliche that comment is (the tee shirts are everywhere), but it's really true.

Just heard the Yanks payroll is now up to 164 million, up about 20 mill from last year.......:angry:

and so it continues, the fall of baseball........:down:

Why are New Yorkers so obsessed with 1918? So we haven't won since then, big deal. Our time will come. Neither of the Chicago teams have won since 1912 and 1908... no one makes fun of them. (Not saying anyone should!!) I think most Sox fans don't give a flying rat's butt about 1918, they're more focused on the present. It's yankees fans and other people who like to mock others who make a big deal over it. Maybe we have other reasons for hating new york... get over it.

Im not a fan of either team, Im a Cincinnati Reds fan, as painful as that is these days....
anyway, I just hate how the system is in baseball these days, the without a salary cap teams like the Yanks can buy thier way into the playoffs every year, thats why I hate them.........:angry:

The New York Yankees don't buy themselves anywhere. They spend a lot of money, yes. But they spend it wisley. The Red Sox, Mets, Rangers and Dodgers all spend rediculous amounts of money too, but ya' don't see them winning any titles any time soon now do ya'? I'm a Mets fan, I hate the Yankees 'cause they're my cross-town rival. I don't complain about the amount of money they spend because it's just silly. That's like the rich blaiming the richer. Unfortunatly Red Sox fans will never understand this, due to that whole inferiority complex Boston has about New York and all. :sexywink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
Unfortunatly Red Sox fans will never understand this, due to that whole inferiority complex Boston has about New York and all. :sexywink:

What are you talking about??????

Just because we chant Yankees Suck when Toronto is in town, or during Bruins games, and Celtics games, does not mean we have a complex does it?:eyebrow:

Dreadsox said:

What are you talking about??????

Just because we chant Yankees Suck when Toronto is in town, or during Bruins games, and Celtics games, does not mean we have a complex does it?:eyebrow:

we did when the patriots won the superbowl too...

i used to be a mets fan. then i moved to massachusetts...i had no choice.

Last edited:
IWasBored said:

we did when the patriots won the superbowl too...

i used to be a mets fan. then i moved to massachusetts...i had no choice.

Some friends of mine who go to UMASS Amherst said there were riots after that Superbowl. People lighting couches on fire and chanting "Yankees suck."

Back
Top Bottom