XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merc

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Only 30 days to go! :hyper:

Official Olympic web-site

Whats your favorite dicipline, whos your favorite athlete...? Which country will take home most medals...?

Lets talk winter sports! :D

Heja Norge! :wink:

Love the Downhill and Super-G skiing events. I'm pulling for Bode Miller (assuming he doesn't get kicked off the team) and Daron Rahlves to bring home some hardware.

randhail said:
Love the Downhill and Super-G skiing events. I'm pulling for Bode Miller (assuming he doesn't get kicked off the team) and Daron Rahlves to bring home some hardware.

Thats some of my fav diciplines too! :up:

But you'll have to watch out for the Norwegians this time - with their new and faster skis I'm pretty sure they're not going home empty-handed! :wink:

Why would they kick Bode of the team? Because of what he said about doping, and the drunk skiing thing?

Merc said:

Thats some of my fav diciplines too! :up:

But you'll have to watch out for the Norwegians this time - with their new and faster skis I'm pretty sure they're not going home empty-handed! :wink:

Why would they kick Bode of the team? Because of what he said about doping, and the drunk skiing thing?

What are the Norwegians skiing on now? Is Kjetil Andre Aamodt going to be on the team this year? He's been around forever, but the man comes up big in nearly every big race.

Yeah, apparently the FIS told the US ski team they were on "thin ice" because of Bode's comments. I think that the US team is annoyed because he already gets treated differently and he has also done his fair share of complaining. I believe it was last year when he threatened to leave the world cup circuit and start his own. He's had a super inconsistent season to this point and needs to get his act together. Daron has looked like a much better skier this year.

randhail said:
What are the Norwegians skiing on now? Is Kjetil Andre Aamodt going to be on the team this year? He's been around forever, but the man comes up big in nearly every big race.

Yeah, apparently the FIS told the US ski team they were on "thin ice" because of Bode's comments. I think that the US team is annoyed because he already gets treated differently and he has also done his fair share of complaining. I believe it was last year when he threatened to leave the world cup circuit and start his own. He's had a super inconsistent season to this point and needs to get his act together. Daron has looked like a much better skier this year.

I can't remember the name of their new skis! :banghead: I've looked for it, but I can't find it now... I just saw it on the news one day - I'll post the name if I remember it again!

:yes: Kjetil Andre Aamodt is on the team, together with Lasse Kjus (another 'oldie'! :wink: ) and Aksel Lund Svindal. If they do their best they are an amazing team with very good medal chances! :bow:

I'll be in Torino from February 21-26th. :hyper:
Some of the event we're going to are: USA hockey, curling, bobsled, short track speed skating, and freestyle skiing. We should be getting our tickets mailed to us any day now. :hyper:

WildHoneyAlways said:
I'll be in Torino from February 21-26th. :hyper:
Some of the event we're going to are: USA hockey, curling, bobsled, short track speed skating, and freestyle skiing. We should be getting our tickets mailed to us any day now. :hyper:
Awesome. I spent 10 days out in Salt Lake 4 years ago. Short track is a fun event to be a spectator at. And if you get a chance, I was surprised at how enthusiastic the crowds were for biathlon and cross country.

4 years from now, I hope to spend a similar amount of time in Vancouver.

I just spent an hour or two yesterday going over NBC's broadcast schedule for these games. I can't believe they're giving us MORE than 24 hours a day! :drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
maybe i'll watch some of the bobsled to see if anyone wipes out...

maaaaybe...

i just can't get excited over watching sports that i would normaly have zero interest in watching. same reason why i don't watch much of the summer olympics, either.

If you want to see wipeouts, short-track speed skating is the event to watch.

I hope New Zealand wins a medal! :hyper:

I'm looking forward to events like the speed skating and bobsledding.

I love all of the winter Olympics.

One of my dad's best friend's kids are competing again. That's so exciting for us. 3 gold and a silver last time in SLC!

Axver said:
I hope New Zealand wins a medal! :hyper:

I'm looking forward to events like the speed skating and bobsledding.
What events does NZ even have a medal chance in? Skeleton?

anitram said:
I love all of the winter Olympics.

One of my dad's best friend's kids are competing again. That's so exciting for us. 3 gold and a silver last time in SLC!

I'd be excited too. What do they compete in?

About the only time I can actually get terribly excited about watching sports is during Olympic Games. I've just never been all that thrilled with most of the sports shown on TV here, but the Olympics are just much more fun.

I think I actually like the winter games better than the summer ones...it just seems a bit more wild. :yes:

indra said:

I'd be excited too. What do they compete in?

Downhill skiing.

Janica and Ivica Kostelic of Croatia. Today Janica won the Super G and made history by becoming the first woman to win all six different disciplines on the skiing circuit. :)

anitram said:

Downhill skiing.

Janica and Ivica Kostelic of Croatia. Today Janica won the Super G and made history by becoming the first woman to win all six different disciplines on the skiing circuit. :)

Oh wow! I actually recognise their names!

That is very cool! That is certainly quite a feat...I can't imagine doing even one of those events well, let alone all six of them extremely well.

I'll make sure to watch for them.

anitram said:

Downhill skiing.

What is the 6th alpine discipline?

I've got the downhill, super-g, gs, slalom, and combined but can't think of the 6th.

randhail said:

What is the 6th alpine discipline?

I've got the downhill, super-g, gs, slalom, and combined but can't think of the 6th.

The super-combi. I believe it was instituted fairly recently, in the last couple of years maybe?

indra, it's actually a very interesting story they have. They were dirt poor and couldn't afford ski passes so they'd basically jump fence in Austria and ski at night. They're obviously loaded now and have a really beautiful house on one of the islans in the Adriatic. My Dad's been when they got the property but not since they built the house. I hear it's nice, they go freestyle diving there to build up lung capacity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom