XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DaveC said:

No, the guy is a pretentious egotistical prick, that's why he's a douchebag.

Maybe I'm blind but how is the guy an pretentious egotistical prick? I think he's actually one of the most articulate and real athlete out there. He's never been one to tow the BS line.

I loved when Bode was interviewed after his race how he felt about losing. He said something to the extent of "I felt I raced a good race and it was never all about a medal for me. Id efine success as if I raced a good clean race or not." I thought it was brilliant.

I like him.

ljclary said:
I loved when Bode was interviewed after his race how he felt about losing. He said something to the extent of "I felt I raced a good race and it was never all about a medal for me. Id efine success as if I raced a good clean race or not." I thought it was brilliant.

I like him.

Exactly why I like him too. He's a real guy who skis for fun. Like I said, maybe I'm blind since I like him, but I just don't see the super ego driven guy. Plus, he's a native New Englander so how could I not like him :wink:

ljclary said:

I like him.

That's an excellent attitude. The guy just became more likeable. I'm not familiar with Alpine skiiers, but this makes a good impression.

Last edited:
Bode Miller talked a lot less last year and won a lot more.

I get the feeling he's got an elephantine ego, fed to him by the US media. NBC branded yesterday "black Sunday" after he and Rahlves failed to win a medal. That's just so incredibly obnoxious.

There are skiers out on the circuit more successful than Bode Miller and they don't yammer on about nonsense. The guy held, what, 4 separate press conferences the week before the Olympics? Give me a break.

anitram said:
Bode Miller talked a lot less last year and won a lot more.

I get the feeling he's got an elephantine ego, fed to him by the US media. NBC branded yesterday "black Sunday" after he and Rahlves failed to win a medal. That's just so incredibly obnoxious.

There are skiers out on the circuit more successful than Bode Miller and they don't yammer on about nonsense. The guy held, what, 4 separate press conferences the week before the Olympics? Give me a break.

I'm rarely more impressed by an athlete when he or she speaks. Occasionally I am, but it's been a while. To me jocks are a bit like that old saying about children -- should be seen and not heard. :D

anitram said:

I know their was one for the US Ski Team and I don't know what they were for/if there were other ones, but it was the week before the Olympics started. Not much different than Super Bowl week or movie pre-release stuff.

The media has created all of this with the 60 Minutes interview. Until then, it was only the ski racing fans that knew him and that view was of the guy who grew up without running water and electricity in Franconia. I haven't gotten around to reading his book, but it supposed to be very insightful as to why he is the way he is and an all-around good read and look forward to reading it.

But hey, most likely after the Olympics he'll go back to be being the Bode that only the ski race fans follow. Maybe then he'll go back to dominating the World Cup Circuit like he did to start the 04-05 season. I for one want that Bode rather than the guy that people love to hate.

Is it just me or are like all the women in pairs' figure skating babes? Great courage by the Chinese female skater to continue after that fall she took.:up:

the rockin edge said:

:angry:

go on, rub it in

:madwife:

;)

It's 12:45 am in British Columbia and I'm watching LIVE coverage of the Canada vs USA in women's curling on TSN. In 15 minutes, at 1am, CBC's LIVE coverage begins for the day. Terry Liebel, Ron Maclean and Brian Williams each host 3 segments of the day's coverage. It's been like this as long as I can remember for Canadian viewers and the Olympics. And I have no idea why we get such great quality coverage. We even got the SLC late night concerts back in 2002 on CBC. We get the sappy retrospectives too but few and far between.

trevster2k said:
Is it just me or are like all the women in pairs' figure skating babes? Great courage by the Chinese female skater to continue after that fall she took.:up:

She was great!! She was suffering clearly, but they went on.
(Did you notice how protective he was? It's been so romantic! I watched their performance with continuous "awe!")

people.com

By Stephen M. Silverman

Olympic speed skating winner Joey Cheek has put his gold medal where his mouth is.

The 500-meter American champion declared during a press interview about his victory that he was donating his entire $25,000 U.S. Olympic Committee bonus from the event to help children in the war-torn region of Darfur in Sudan.

"I wanted to make it meaningful," said Cheek, 26, a former inline skater from Greensboro, N.C. "It's empowering to think of someone else."

He added, "I've been plotting this a little bit in my head."

On Monday, Cheek skated the two best races of his life, with a combined time 0.65 seconds ahead of the silver medalist, Russia's Dmitry Dorofeyev – considered an amazing margin in a furious sprint usually decided by hundredths of a second. South Korea's Lee Kang Seok took the bronze, the Associated Press reports.

Cheek challenged his sponsors to match his donation. He plans to visit the Darfur region, where some 180,000 people have died and 2 million forced to flee in a bitter conflict, and see how his money is helping.

"I have been blessed with competing in the Olympics," said Cheek, who recalled something his mother Chris told her two sons: "Not to have good intentions, but to do good things."

Very gutsy skate by Zhang and Zhang. Their silver medal stirred up a hornet's nest of controversy on my figure skating list, though. I've never gotten so much e-mail in my life. Very nice of Cheek to donate his money. That's the best story of the Olympics so far. Incidentally, I thought they were calling Sunday "Black Sunday" was because of Michelle Kwan's pulling out, not because of the downhill. If they're doing it for the downhill shame on them, the world doesn't revolve around the U.S. skiers.

verte76 said:
Incidentally, I thought they were calling Sunday "Black Sunday" was because of Michelle Kwan's pulling out, not because of the downhill. If they're doing it for the downhill shame on them, the world doesn't revolve around the U.S. skiers.

Nor does it revolve around figure skating (thank goodness). :wink:

verte76 said:
Incidentally, I thought they were calling Sunday "Black Sunday" was because of Michelle Kwan's pulling out, not because of the downhill. If they're doing it for the downhill shame on them, the world doesn't revolve around the U.S. skiers.

Kwan shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Ice skating probably pulls more ratings, thus the interest in this story.

someone willing to explain me the rules of curling?
I'm getting crazy trying to understand it!!!

Bode Miller's been DQ'd from the combined event after straddling a gate.

Black Tuesday!

Ted Ligety wins gold in the combined!!! Not bad for a 21 year old alpiner and considering he was 3 seconds back after the downhill. That's good stuff right there :ohmy:

Last edited:
randhail said:
Ted Ligety wins gold in the combined!!! Not bad for a 21 year old alpiner and considering he was 3 seconds back after the downhill. That's good stuff right there :ohmy:

To bad he wasn't a blind orphan, or NBC might have actually promoted him a bit.

Ligety was smoking fast through that slalom course. During the '02 Olympics he was a course tester, now he has a gold.

trevster2k said:
It's 12:45 am in British Columbia and I'm watching LIVE coverage of the Canada vs USA in women's curling on TSN. In 15 minutes, at 1am, CBC's LIVE coverage begins for the day. Terry Liebel, Ron Maclean and Brian Williams each host 3 segments of the day's coverage. It's been like this as long as I can remember for Canadian viewers and the Olympics. And I have no idea why we get such great quality coverage. We even got the SLC late night concerts back in 2002 on CBC. We get the sappy retrospectives too but few and far between.

:angry:

:wink:

wow, lucky canadians:drool:

Those Chinese ice skaters... :ohmy: but that's dedication for you I guess! BBC 2 is determined to milk everything that it can out of having the broadcast rights to the winter olympics...so far such legendary sports programmes as Top of the Pops, Ready Steady Cook, Top Gear and every kids' show going has had a winter olympics special :rolleyes:Still it's an effective way of promoting it I guess.

trojanchick99 said:

To bad he wasn't a blind orphan, or NBC might have actually promoted him a bit.

Ligety was smoking fast through that slalom course. During the '02 Olympics he was a course tester, now he has a gold.

Good point.

The only reason why I even know the name or anything about him is because I'm pretty much a ski freak :wink:

Hopefully, NBC will show this in primetime when I get home from work.

He looks like he's got a really bright future ahead of him. I wonder if he'll branch out into the speed events or stay a technical skier?

US women's hockey team is having a helluva time with the Finnish team, 3-3 in 3rd, after trailing 3-1 to the Finns.

Men's figure skating short program is riddled with falls, only 1 or 2 clean programs. I only watch cause it's the Olympics but it's still impressive what they do.

US just took the lead, Angela Ruggiero just skated the whole length of the ice and zinged one by the Finnish goalie who was playing her ass off.

ETA just got another one on a nice move by the US player to put it past the Finnish goalie.

ETA another one, 6-3 just like that, the US women finally woke up. The poor goalie for the Finns just can't move laterally to handle the skill of the US forwards.

Last edited:
Johnny is in second place going into the freeskate. I'm just wondering what happened to Evan Lysecek? I guess he's hurt or something because I can't fiind him anywhere on the competition listings (yeah, I cheated). :reject:

Back
Top Bottom