XX Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good for hockey, embarrassing for Canada and the NHL to lose in such a manner and look so individual in doing so. This Olympic hockey tournament is really interesting this time. Even the US NHL all-star team is looking bad. It's still wide open but there are no guarantees this time. But congratulations Switzerland, great achievement against two hockey powers.

Bode Miller suggesting he doesn't care is offensive to every athlete who dreams about participating in the Olympics, and who is or has ever participated. Next time around, drop out of the team, let someone who wants to be there have the spot. Ridiculous attitude for an athlete.

Our curling teams this year are weak, just not calling the right games or making the big shots. If they don't make the playoffs, it will be a colossal failure for Canada's process in choosing the Olympic representatives in curling. Canada is a world power in curling and should at least be good enough to be in the top 4. Time will tell, 2 more games left, Kleibrink needs help, Gushue has to beat the Americans and hope Italy loses.

Go Pierre Lueders!!! in bobsleigh!!

Congrats to the US speedskaters and the South Korean speedskaters, impressive racing.

nbcrusader said:
And they wonder why the Olympics loses to American Idol in the ratings.

I would think Ice Dancing would get huge ratings, look at the success of Dancing with Stars and Skating with Stars. This combines both dancing and skating, ok, no celebrities.:wink:

1shani.standalone.jpg

anitram said:
A lot (or most) of this is the fault of NBC who routinely hypes up American athletes to such points of obnoxiousness that it's nearly unwatchable. Bode happens to be one of their picks this year.

:yes:

exciting stuff today

the mens speedskating 1000M final was great, thrilling race :up:

the USA vs Slovakia hockey game was awesome :combust: the hockey tournement is really open :rockon: the USA vs Russia game could be very interesting

men's biathlon pursuit, was very close. one of my favourite events
:drool:

i was glad Davis won gold in the 1000m race...but it's clear he and Hendrick hate each others guts :lol: meanwhile Cheek gets another medal and keeps looking better and better :up:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
:huh: What is up with Shauni Davis? His attitude during the NBC interview after he won his gold was odd. Drama! He and Hedrick have obvious dislike for one another.

I couldn't believe the interview either. He didn't even look at the camera, gave short/curt answers, and finally kinda smiled AFTER he was done with the interview. Looked like the female interviewer was a little stunned there afterwards, especially with his (lack of) response. :shrug:

can't wait to see the race that Davis & Headrick are both competing in...

saw some of the pursuits on Saturday morning. The men's was so close at the end! :ohmy:

I thought she was pushing him for an NBC appropriate reaction right from the beginning. "It was good to see you smile finally."..."Are you happy?" He answers yes, but does not smile.
"Are you angry?" What a stupid question. I don't know if Davis was angry or not. It wasn't my business amd was an absolutely inappropriate question. Commentator was also remarking on the skiier (skijumper? It's early morning and I'm a little jumbled right now) who didn't smile after a great run when he took gold. Comments in written press that Plushenko's eyes were dry during medal ceremonies. On the flip side, you've got Bob Costas almost disappointed that Ohno was fine with his short track bronze and then Costas trying to stir up a little controversy about the Korean team doublemanning him. Like any SMART athlete, Ohno kept his mouth shut because he is going to keep competing against the Koreans. All he said is it was his job to figure out how to get around it. NBC wants these kodak moments and doesn't like when they don't get them. NBC is an ass.

BonosSaint said:
On the flip side, you've got Bob Costas almost disappointed that Ohno was fine with his short track bronze and then Costas trying to stir up a little controversy about the Korean team doublemanning him. Like any SMART athlete, Ohno kept his mouth shut because he is going to keep competing against the Koreans. All he said is it was his job to figure out how to get around it. NBC wants these kodak moments and doesn't like when they don't get them. NBC is an ass.

You mean other people compete in men's short track skating. According to NBC, it is just Ohno.

For the record there will a Turk competing in the ladies' competition for the first time ever. She lives and trains in Canada right now, but she's puttting her country on the figure skating map. I just got this information from the Turkish Embassy web site.

Fuck, Team Canada is killing me in hockey. I feel kind of embarrased as a Canadian to lose to Finland and Switzerland 2-0. I'm not really sure where the problem is though, We've put together a team of Canadian all star goal scorers and yet we've been shut out twice. Maybe we should balme the coaches for not getting the team ready for the games.

thetitans2k said:
Fuck, Team Canada is killing me in hockey. I feel kind of embarrased as a Canadian to lose to Finland and Switzerland 2-0. I'm not really sure where the problem is though, We've put together a team of Canadian all star goal scorers and yet we've been shut out twice. Maybe we should balme the coaches for not getting the team ready for the games.

101884323_b1b6d9763f_o.jpg

I have never been so bored as I was tonight watching the Olympics. Ice dancing is like watching paint dry and the speed skating!!! ZZzzzzzzzz

Was it me or did it seem like all the skaters were tired. I mean if you are going to do the 1000m you should be able to do them all!! Not just 500 and then putz out. It was sooooo dull!!

Bring on the women's ice skating so I can stop watching this crap.

oh by the way...NBC sucks:madspit:

It is remarkable to watch a $100 million dollar team not be able to score a goal. They aren't out of it, but they do look like crap. Losing to Finland is ok, but losing to the Swiss was sad. Tuesday's game determines last place in the pool, if we lose, we face Slovakia. The US could be facing Finland. I can't remember the last time if ever both the US and Canada finished last in qualifying in a round robin hockey pool.

If they lose, there will be lots of reasons, but I will restrain myself until it happens. I think they should take the whole team to the women's gold medal game tomorrow to show them how athletes who aren't millionaires play for their country. The women are the best, way more impressive than the men's team, IMO.

ljclary said:

Was it me or did it seem like all the skaters were tired. I mean if you are going to do the 1000m you should be able to do them all!! Not just 500 and then putz out. It was sooooo dull!!

The 1000 is the toughest because it's still a sprint, but a longer one much the the 400M in track. It takes a special breed to do the long sprints.

I fell asleep before Belbin and Agosto. I'm so glad they did well, love their style

I'm so mad that I missed all the drama w/ Fusar Poli, I read in the paper that she glared at him on the ice and turned her back on him in the kiss and cry :ohmy:

I have never seen that many falls in an ice dance competition! You used to never see falls in ice dancing, now there are more of them. Belbin and Agosto were wonderful and really should have been first. The Russians were too tentative.

Yeah, very unfortunate for the Canadians, but she was badly hurt. This scoring system is better for ice dance in particular because it allows for more movement among the couples. By the same token every one is making their program so difficult it's getting harder to hold on in lifts and just plain stay on your skates.

Last edited:
Team GB did OK in Ice Dancing but we really need another Torvil and Dean. I think they truly were one of the all-time greats in their field.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS??????

Dreadful pun by the commentator after the Curling result: "Well, the Danish nearly saved Team GB's bacon".

:applaud: Congrats to the Canadians on the win. :sigh: I thought we'd be a dead cert to win Curling. Guess that shows how much I know about Curling (ie. nothing- it is a total mystery to me :huh: )

Torvill and Dean are my all-time favorite skaters. There have never been skaters like them. Unfortunately, these days, so many of their moves would be considered illegal. They've changed the rules big time. There will never be another Torvill and Dean.

"One of the good things about my career is I have such extensive knowledge, so I always go as hard as I can," Miller told The Associated Press. "Some guys can go 70-80 percent and get results, but I wouldn't do that.

"If things went well, I could be sitting on four medals, maybe all of them gold."

Shut up and go away, Bode. Ass.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, didn't.

I thought he didn't care about medals. :scratch:

Canadian women take hockey gold! :drool:

Back
Top Bottom