xp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
well i finally got windows and office xp(hooray for student prices!) and i must say office xp is a pleasure to use. very enjoyable.

i haven't installed windows yet 'cause i've only got 192 megs of ram on this and with the minimum at 128 i wonder if it will really help. anybody have a machine running xp with the bare minimum?

------------------
i thought i knew you.

Hmm, you know, I would actually put 256 MB as a realistic minimum. It should work fine in theory on 192, but RAM is so cheap, you might as well up it to 256 or more. I don't know anyone running it on less than 256 though.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I have to say that WindowsXP has slowed down my badboy considerably. argh.

The cool desktop colours are cool though - everything looks real slick.

Well, if Windows XP is like its cousin, Windows 2000, it should be remarkably stable. Windows 2000 does have issues with multimedia performance and, to a degree, backward compatibility, but Windows XP is supposed to combine the stability of Windows 2000 with the speed and multimedia friendly aspects of Windows ME. So it should be the best incarnation of Windows yet. From all indications, it has lived up to its promises for once.

As for "big," it requires 1.5 GB of space. Considering the average retail hard drive is now 40 GB, with 80 GB hard drives becoming more reasonably priced (and 120 GB hard drives just starting to come out), space should not be much of an issue. If you have an older computer (as in Pentium II era), you might have the lower capacity hard drives (< 5 GB) and you may have to upgrade.

The last issue is that if you are a Windows 9x/ME user, you will probably have to locate XP compatible drivers for some of your hardware devices, since the Windows 9x/ME drivers will not work with it. Luckily, many of these drivers are likely included on the CD and the rest are downloadable from the specific hardware developer's website.

Basically, the only thing I gripe about is the "Big Brother" nature of its activation crap, not to mention the very unrevolutionary "new additions." It is pretty much Windows 2000 SP3 with pretty colors, in my opinion. However, if you don't like the colors, you can change it back to "retro" Windows 9x/ME/2000 colors, and if you are very adamantly against the activation, there are ways around it of questionable legality...but you'll have to figure that out yourself.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Hey Kobe I just worked on a client's file today last name Kobayashi.
wink.gif

Is that your last name too?

Originally posted by Sicy:
Hey Kobe I just worked on a client's file today last name Kobayashi.
wink.gif

Is that your last name too?

phehhh.
i wish.

watch out for that client by the way, he might not be what he appears to be...

------------------
The apollo rocket designers and the NASA engineers of Houston and Sunnyvale grew up in the 1930s and 1940s dreaming of Buck Rogers and the exoterrestrial meanderings of Amazing Stories. When this aerospace generation grew old enough, they chose to make those dreams in metal.

Crap I guess I did not see that movie.

rent it. tonight.
definetely before you interact with mr. kobayashi again.
if he drives a beautiful jag, be very afraid.

------------------
november 12th 1955

um lol.. whats the name.

the usual suspects.
kevin spacey
gabriel byrne
kevin pollak
benicio del toro
one of the baldwin's
chazz palminteri

this movie is where the name 'kobayashi' comes from.

------------------
november 12th 1955

hmm...even though the posts have veered off subject a little i'll post anyway.
tongue.gif

i've got two computers...computer one came with windows me pre-loaded (bought it in 9/00) and computer two - the one i'm on now - came with windows xp pre-loaded (bought it in 12/01).
i've owned computers with windows loaded all the way back to 3.x ... and i agree that you have to make sure your computer can handle the system. the old computer i had came with windows 95 (dunno if it was on it from the start, i bought it from someone and it was custom built) and when i put 98 on it...i regretted doing it. but since i didn't have the 95 disc i wasn't about to downgrade.
anyway, i've had *less* problems with xp as compared to 95, 98, and me, but it could be because i'm on a much faster computer now. 1.7 ghz pentium 4 processor, etc. but i would recommend making sure your computer is actually higher than whatever the minimum is. back when i had a seriously outdated computer, when i would try to play games on it that met the computer's minimum requirements, it would give me nothing but problems.

------------------
i want a chance to keep you awake at night, when the sunlight burns through your love...
ME!

the usual suspects.

Such an awesome flick. Got to be one of my all time favorites

Anyone had any issues with XP such as the following? I bought a new machine for my parents and little bro. Came loaded with XP. My little brother is trying to tell me that the preloaded games, typically under accessories (not sure about where in XP since I personally have not left 98), disappeared. He says it was not moved to another dir. Anyone have / heard of anything like this?

------------------
15five.com

[This message has been edited by DiGi (edited 01-28-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom