X & Y could have almost been a good album if...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
xaviMF22 said:
Amsterdam :combust:

ftw... :up:

All time greatest Coldplay song IMO, I love the fact that it builds... :drool:

You came along and you cut me loose... :combust:

Although I won't say that X&Y is my favourite album I don't think it deserves the level of bashing it receives on this forum... I think it was over-produced and while ROBTTH had a sense of the effortless, X&Y feels almost like they tried too hard... I don't know, hard to explain I guess.

Oh, and I like A Message, I know it's not the greatest in terms of lyrics but I enjoy it nonetheless...

Last edited:
1. Square One
2. How You See The World No.2
3. Talk (Original Demo Version)
4. Til Kingdom Come
5. White Shadows
6. A Message
7. Sleeping Sun
8. Pour Me
9. Proof
10. Low
11. Twisted Logic
12. Gravity

I posted that tracklist in a thread awhile back. Just make that a playlist and listen to it from now on and you won't complain about X&Y anymore. :hug:

intedomine said:
After hearing some of the b-sides from the X & Y sessions, my only qualm with X & Y as an album is why some of these brilliant songs were left off in favour of some weaker "synth-lacking", but more typically Coldplay, songs.

I appreciate the change of direction Coldplay were taking with X&Y, and I adore the songs that epitomised this change (White Shadows, X&Y, Talk, the amazing Square One).

Indeed, the lyrics on X&Y may lack some depth, particularly when compared with some of Martin's heroes (Yorke, Bono, Morrissey), but I can appreciate them for what they appear to be on face value. The lyrics of a reasonably contented man, yet still coming to grips with fame. To be poetic was surely not one of his main priorities.

Overall, I see something very special in X & Y, yet ackknowledge that it is probably a song too long, and is crying out for an alternative and rearranged tracklsiting.

Drop: A Message
Til Kingdom Come
The Hardest Part/Fix You

Include: Gravity
Things I Don't Understand
The World Turned Upside Down

Consider this, and you'll have an album, while by no means necessarily groundbreaking or mind-blowing, but one that is unquestionably solid and is some senses, quite brilliant.

LP4 excites me with Brian Eno at the helm. Bring it on...

You bring up a good point. I think another thing that killed this album was people not believing Martin's lyrics.

It might be too presumptuous to say I don't believe Chris Martin's anguish after he gets married to Gwenyth Paltrow (she's a stiff, but not too shabby) and has a child in about 1-2 years and still writes depressing music.

What separates Bono from Chris Martin as a songwriter is his ability to write a depressing song that can still be uplifting in another context. Look at most of his lyrics 1984-1991.

LemonMacPhisto said:

What separates Bono from Chris Martin as a songwriter is his ability to write a depressing song that can still be uplifting in another context. Look at most of his lyrics 1984-1991.

Nice point. In my opinion, Martin is nowhere even close to Bono's league as a lyricist. He lacks Bono's introspection, instead being comfortable to make rather cliched references to unrequited romantic love. Bono, on the other hand, addresses the universal through the personal, focusing on unrequited spirituality, optimism, and etc.

I don't really like Coldplay and I think it's very annoying that they're trying to be like U2. But some Coldplay songs are kinda okay..Or, it's just a few.. like the song "Clocks". But I think most of the songs sounds pretty much the same.. But that's just my opinion:) Maybe I should try give them a chance or I don't know.

An alternative, but as yet untried tracklisting I might try

1. Square One
2. Talk
3. White Shadows
4. Fix You
5. Speed Of Sound
6. Things I Don't Understand
7. Low
8. X & Y
9. The World Turned Upside Down
10. Swallowed In The Sea
11. Gravity