WTF! Earthquake in NY???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muh2o

Acrobat
Don't have the details, but something just woke me up.

I've felt 7.0's in Cali, and this wasn't even close, but it shook us pretty decent for a few seconds.

from the CNN website: http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/04/20/new.england.tremors/index.html

Northeast of U.S. quivers in rare quake
April 20, 2002 Posted: 9:15 AM EDT (1315 GMT)

PLATTSBURGH, New York (CNN) -- An unusually strong earthquake could be felt across the Northeast of the United States early Saturday morning, worrying residents but not resulting in any immediate reports of damage or injuries.

The U.S. Geological Survey confirmed the quake, setting the preliminary magnitude at 5.1 - capable of causing considerable damage. It was centered 15 miles southwest of Plattsburgh, New York. According to the USGS, the quake happened at 6:50 a.m. EDT.

The Canadian Geological Survey reported an earthquake of magnitude 5.5.

The USGS said in an earthquake bulletin that "the earthquake was felt from Buffalo, New York, to Boston, Massachusetts, and Baltimore, Maryland. No reports of damage or casualties have been received at this time."

Police across the region say they received calls of concern about tremors from New York to New Hampshire, Connecticut and Vermont. There were similar calls in Ontario, Canada.

Police in New London, New Hampshire say they have received a few dozen calls about tremors.

A police dispatcher said residents are reporting that the earth shook for 15 to 20 seconds. A dispatcher said the apparent tremors, however, weren't very intense.

One resident reported that "everything was shaking."

Sgt. Russell See with the New Haven, Connecticut, police, said the department had received calls from people who had felt the tremor or tremors, and were concerned. One caller said the house shook.

See said police had confirmed the information with other police departments across the state, but that they had no reports of damage or injuries.

CNN also received an e-mail from a Syracuse, New York, resident, who reported being awakened by what seemed to be a quake.

When an earthquake occurs, the first information that is processed and relayed is usually based on a small subset of the seismic stations in the network, especially in the case of a larger earthquake. This is done so that some information can be obtained immediately without waiting for all of it to be processed.

As a result, the first magnitude reported is usually based on a small number of recordings. As additional data are processed and become available, the magnitude and location are refined and updated. Sometimes, the assigned magnitude is "upgraded" or slightly increased, and sometimes it is "downgraded" or slightly decreased.

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 04-20-2002).]

I also found the following information on another website about where earthquakes can occur. I had heard before about the possiblily of earthquakes in the norheast. We even had a small earthquake here in west Texas/New Mexico a few years back, it just a small quake, 3.0 I think, and wasn't felt here in Dallas.

here's the info:

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/UPSeis/area.html

Earthquakes In The Midwestern and Eastern United States??!!
Most people think that earthquakes occur only in places like California, Alaska, and Japan. This couldn't be further from the truth. Several major and numerous minor earthquakes have occurred in the midwestern and eastern United States, as well as eastern Canada. Some of the earthquakes that have caused notable damage in these areas are listed below.

1663 & 1870 - St. Lawrence River region, Canada
1755 - Boston/Cape Ann, Massachusetts. Earthquake estimated to be magnitude 6.0; buildings damaged.
1811 & 1812 - New Madrid, Missouri, experienced the three largest earthquakes known to have occurred in North America (magnitudes estimated between 7.2 and 8.3) and 203 damaging aftershocks. Soil liquefaction occurred.
1886 - Charleston, South Carolina. Estimated magnitude 6.8. Soil liquefaction occurred. Extensive damage; 60 people or more died. Over 400 aftershocks over the next 30 years.
1895 - Charleston, Missouri
1897 - Giles County, Virginia
1884 - New York City area
1931 - Valentine, Texas, had a magnitude 6.4 earthquake, the largest earthquake to hit Texas in historic times.
1935 - Timiskaming, Ontario (Canada)
1947 - Michigan experienced a magnitude 4.4 earthquake.
1979 & 1980 - New York State and the adjacent areas experienced 131 earthquakes of magnitude 1 to 5.
1980 - 5 earthquakes recorded north of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
1980 - Kentucky shaken by a magnitude 5.1 earthquake.
1982 - New Brunswick, Canada, had a magnitude 5.7 earthquake.
1982 - Arkansas earthquake swarm starts. Eighty-eight earthquakes between June 24 and July 5, 1982. Four earthquakes with magnitudes of 4.0 to 4.5 during first 3 months of swarm. Total of about 40,000 earthquakes in the area (most very small or not felt) between 1982 and 1985.
1983 - Lake Charles, Louisiana, experienced a magnitude 3.8 earthquake.
1983 - Indiana had a magnitude 5.9 earthquake.
1986 - Painesville, Ohio, experienced a magnitude 4.9 earthquake and several aftershocks. The earthquake was felt in 11 states.
1987 - Southeastern Illinois experienced a magnitude 5.2 earthquake. This area has had 7 earthquakes of magnitude 4.5 or greater since 1892.
Over 900,000 earthquakes occur worldwide each year. Fortunately, the vast majority of them are magnitude 2.5 or less, and great earthquakes (magnitude 8.0 or more) only happen about once every 5 to 10 years. Most of these great quakes occur along the plate boundaries, not in the eastern and midwestern U.S.

A few areas of the midwestern and eastern United States are more prone to earthquakes than others. The most earthquake-prone areas include Charleston, South Carolina, eastern Massachusetts, the St. Lawrence River area, and the central Mississippi River Valley. Others sections of this part of the country are prone to earthquakes, but can expect fewer quakes of smaller magnitude. Below is a map showing the risk of damage by earthquakes for the continental United States.

333%3C546%3B23232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E8%3B5%3E33%3A%3Ewsnrcg%3D323239639%3B69%3Bnu0mrj

(Modified from Stearns & Miller, 1977)
The central Mississippi River Valley and the Charleston, South Carolina, are more prone to damage during earthquakes than the northern part of the country. These areas have sandy soils that shake more than solid rock, resulting in damage from subsidence during an earthquake. The high water tables along the Mississippi and near the coast also increase the risk of soil liquefaction during strong earthquakes.

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 04-20-2002).]

I felt it...8 feet of snow in december

and now earthquakes...???!?!

wtf!!!

Originally posted by daisybean:
Doooood where are you????????

I'm just north of Albany, in Clifton Park

5.1, eh, that's pretty decent for this area.

I remember only one other "quake" in this area, back about 15 years ago or so. I was back from break from college, and I was at my Grandmothers home for I want to say for a Thanksgiving get together, but I'm not 100% certain which day it was. Anyway, I was putting back the brews pretty good, when I noticed a picture on the wall...moving! I looked around to see if anyone else was reacting to this, and at first no one did. I leaned over to my cousin, who was also fairly intoxicated, and whispered something to the effect of "uh dude, I know I've had my share of beer, but, um, is that picture moving, or is it just me?". That's about the time everyone else started to realize what was going on.

MUA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!
You buncha sad losers! You feel a measley 5 pointer and you think its the end of the world!! I've been through deadly 7 pointers too, its nothing, really.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Okokok, i'm just teasing ya, i tend to make a fuss outta the little ones, too. Although 5's can be pretty bad, they have been known to kill a person or 2. I'm surprised there wasnt more damage/injuries in areas so not used to quakes.
Its about damn time you snooty folks over there had to go through one too.
wink.gif

FROM CALIFORNIA,WITH LUV....

------------------
"If he gets up...we'll all get up...It'll be anarchy!!"

Well we felt something of that nature here for a short while this morning, Im not quite sure when, I was awake at 4, 5, 6, got out of bed at 7... but apparently there was talk on the radio about it occuring sometime between then... I honestly dont know much of it since I was recertifying my standard first aid and CPR training from 9 this morning until 6, plus Ive got a cold and feel like crap... bah...

Originally posted by MacPhooey:
MUA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!
You buncha sad losers! You feel a measley 5 pointer and you think its the end of the world!! I've been through deadly 7 pointers too, its nothing, really.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Okokok, i'm just teasing ya, i tend to make a fuss outta the little ones, too. Although 5's can be pretty bad, they have been known to kill a person or 2. I'm surprised there wasnt more damage/injuries in areas so not used to quakes.
Its about damn time you snooty folks over there had to go through one too.
wink.gif

FROM CALIFORNIA,WITH LUV....

Gee thanks
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Here in return I give you Lake effect snow

hehehehehe

------------------
Daisy
I wasn't jumping for me it was a fall. It's a long way down to nothing at all
AIM: daisyone75

Originally posted by daisybean:
Doooood where are you????????

I thought it was just me

(I'm in syracuse area)

that's why I'm up at this hour

hehehehe

icon24.gif
Welcome to my shaky world Daisy! Did it scare you? Scares the shit out of me still after 35 years of living in So. Calif.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
icon24.gif
Welcome to my shaky world Daisy! Did it scare you? Scares the shit out of me still after 35 years of living in So. Calif.
biggrin.gif

Heck Yea Charlene... Not a fun way to wake up.
Me: *sleeping peacefully*
Ground: shake shake shake
Dogs: Woof Wooof Woof
Me: WTF??????
I was kinda nervous about there being aftershocks, but there weren't any.

------------------
Daisy
I wasn't jumping for me it was a fall. It's a long way down to nothing at all
AIM: daisyone75
MSN:daisybean75

Im sorry, Im sorry, my fault entirely.....u see, I was with Mr Pryck 2 U last night and fed him too many beans, therefore the earthquake you thought u had (seeing as Pryck lives round there) was not that, instead Mr Pryck flatulating rather heavily into the middle of the bed creating a surrounding vibration....

Im so sorry for that!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom