Would you sell out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote or Die

• Hellllzzzzzz yeah I would sell out, I Wanna be a rockstar

Votes: 35 58.3%
  • FFFFFF No I wouldn't sell out, I wanna stay true to my heart and my music

Votes: 25 41.7%

• Total voters
intedomine said:
That said, there is no reason why a band can't play stadiums and have millions of adoring fans without making authentic, original and really classy music.

Anyone ever heard of U2?

Uh oh, here comes a change of direction for this thread...

My ultimate goal in life is that I can make art that comes truly from my heart and soul and still earn enough money to live a life in moderate luxury. I think "selling out" can take a lot of pressure away from you. It can mean freedom in many ways.

And I love luxury. :drool:
Just spending money without having to think about stuff like: How will I be able to pay my energy bill next month?

A combination is very possible. There are many artists over there that are true to their music and make good money... Maybe they won't sell out but still they can have a lot of fans at their concerts and people who buy their albums. I couldn't stand to make crap music just to have more and more money but at the same time I couldn't just play on small clubs forever because I would probably have to get another job and then have no time to make music.
Besides that, I don't think sell out and have people screaming your name over and over again is important... A true musician can live without that. Of course fans are needed and maybe a bit of recognizing, but just in a very healthy way:wink:

To sell out, wouldn't you have to have originally started with integrity and staying true to the music? Are you saying that Linkin Park, Nickelback, Creed all started out that way and then decided at a point in their career to sell out? :shrug: I don't think they chose to sell out, I think that's just the route they went with making music. Then again, I'm not exactly a wealth of knowledge regarding those bands.

Personally, I hate the term "selling out", and I think it's tossed around too much. I also don't think it's that much of a black and white issue as this poll is making it seem to be. There is a gray area.

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
Personally, I hate the term "selling out", and I think it's tossed around too much. I also don't think it's that much of a black and white issue as this poll is making it seem to be. There is a gray area.

Yes. This. :up:

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to be famous--it would be my worst nightmare--and I really don't care about money either, having been around so many miserable rich and famous people in my work for most of my adult life. So it's an easy choice for me.

Initially, I would sell out to the point that I had the means to do whatever I wanted. And then I would switch to staying true to the music. I can't really think of a good example of someone who has done that though (maybe Justin Timberlake to an extent?).

at least half of those who said they wouldn't "sell out" would do so in a heartbeat.

as would i.

of course everyone strives for the perfect balance of the two, something very few have been able to achieve, especially lately... pearl jam comes to mind as one who's balanced the line perfectly... but when it comes to either selling out or sticking to the music? most would sell out.

Bonochick said:
Ryan Adams did a Gap ad...because, like he said, who's gonna say no to $30,000 an hour?

people that wanna stay true to their hearts and their music.

So ... wanting to make a decent living means you don't have a true heart? Maybe some people want to make a living as an artist but don't want to starve.

say you were in a nobody band, not making much money at all, but playing the music you wrote and loved, and one night after playing a small crappy bar a record exec bigwig came up to you and said, "we love your image but hate your music, i'm putting together a boyband that the record company is gonna market the hell out of, youll be rich and famous instead of playing these small crappy bars..."

would ya do it?

U2Man said:

people that wanna stay true to their hearts and their music.

What if donated that $30,000 to pay for up-and-coming bands to spend time in a studio recording their songs?

Chizip said:
say you were in a nobody band, not making much money at all, but playing the music you wrote and loved, and one night after playing a small crappy bar a record exec bigwig came up to you and said, "we love your image but hate your music, i'm putting together a boyband that the record company is gonna market the hell out of, youll be rich and famous instead of playing these small crappy bars..."

would ya do it?

You mean I'd get a bunch of cute boys? :hmm:

intedomine said:

What if donated that $30,000 to pay for up-and-coming bands to spend time in a studio recording their songs?

you wouldnt do that. you would spend them on a maserati.

Here's a quote from that Gap ad sellout Ryan Adams...

"The other thing was, my mom had cancer the whole fucking time. Breast cancer; I was paying for her treatment. A friend of mine - we can put it like that - was passing away, my mom was sick...it was like, 'Fuck you! How dare you judge me!' And I always think, shouldn't this happen to someone who's at least multi-platinum? My records don't even go balsa wood in some countries."

Back
Top Bottom