Worst Cover Songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
Come on list the worst cover songs that artists have done :yes:

case in point:

I was flipping thro the channels last night and I came across Lonestar(country band) doing a cover of "Walking in Memphis-Bruce Springsteen" and lets just say it wasnt a pretty sight, if you get my drift!!

so come on and list the worst cover songs by artists you heard!!!!

I remember Madonna's "American Pie" being a popular choice the last time we did this type of thread. :yuck:

No, No, No. I have the one to top 'em all...

Cher doing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Pure, utter blasphemy.

:yuck:

HelloAngel said:
TATu covering The Smiths :no:
which song?
Sounds scary already. :no:
I'll throw in that entire U2 tribute album....just awful. Butchering at it's worst. :barf:
They turned such upbeat and beautiful U2 music into dark and depressing blarney. Pure crap. :der:

I could live without ever hearing anyone cover "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" again.

I heard on the radio that Korn was going to cover "Love on the Rocks" by Neil Diamond. If that's true... :no: Poor Neil.

bonosgirl84 said:
for the third time, it's sheryl crow covering sweet child o mine.

Did I do a satisfactory job the first time?

Don't answer... I already know.

:sexywink:

tatu - how soon is now (and I do like all the things she said but this is just wrong)
sixpence none the richer - don't dream it's over (blaaaand)
paul young - love will tear us apart (ugh)
jimmy somerville (bronski beat) - comment te dire adieu (nonono)
pearl jam - last kiss (terrible)
third eye blind - i will follow (argh!)
near anything off that clash 'tribute' album

yes i'm sure there's more.

tatu - how soon is now definately :yes:

they sound like chipmunks on karaoke :der: tho i do like the other songs of theirs, i have the album, its ok ish. cant listen to it for more than 3 songs tho lol.

Avril Lavigne - Knockin' On Heaven's Door :no:
Britney Spears - Satisfaction :no:

Why dear God, why?! Surely those songs are proof enough that someone needs to send those two to the firing squad?! :scream:

Who ever gave The Pet Shop Boys permission to do Where the streets Have No Name/Cant Take My Eyes Off You, needs to be shot.
Not only does Frankie Valli's original have nothing to do with whatever the hell it was they were trying to attempt with this, they've butchered one of U2's classics.

Pffft.

Still, worse than this is Rolf Harris and his trusty old wobble board doing 'Stairway To Heaven'. Infact, anyone who really covers this song is guaranteed a major ballsup.

I'm sorry Angie, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The PSB's version of Streets is GENIUS (I know on this forum only Popmartijn agrees with me, but oh well, and probably not to the extent I like it). I'm saying that with a straight face. It's an amazing transformation. The way it leads into Can't Take My Eyes Off You is so well done it's brilliant. U2's version is the strong, uplifting one we all know and love, but you have to love the way the PSB simply took the mickey out of the original and made it one of their own, ironic disco pop songs. It is one of my favourite covers by any body ever (although of course I do love the original better).

There, shoot me now.

hahah I wont shoot you but I do totally completely disagree with everything you just said :lol:
The funny thing is, I really like PSB and I actually dont like Streets very much at all. Infact, hardly at all. Yeah, yeah I've never known ANY fan to not like it either, lol...but still, I know a butchering when I see it and despite my overall give or take attitude to Streets, I can appreciate it fully as a brilliant song. So when I first heard of its existance, I was very intrigued to hear it. But yeah...I think its crap!

sorry!

yertle-the-turtle said:
I'm sorry Angie, but I'm going to have to disagree with you here. The PSB's version of Streets is GENIUS (I know on this forum only Popmartijn agrees with me, but oh well, and probably not to the extent I like it). I'm saying that with a straight face. It's an amazing transformation. The way it leads into Can't Take My Eyes Off You is so well done it's brilliant. U2's version is the strong, uplifting one we all know and love, but you have to love the way the PSB simply took the mickey out of the original and made it one of their own, ironic disco pop songs. It is one of my favourite covers by any body ever (although of course I do love the original better).

There, shoot me now.

I completely agree with all of the above. They took the song and made it into a completely different one. It's so different from U2's version that I hardly equate the two. That's one cover I love.

Here's one I hate though...

Here She Comes by Sixpence None the Richer. They need to stop doing covers and learn to play their own damn songs. Not that I'd like that any more, but... :D

all this makes me want to listen to the pet shops, but i'm too lazy to go dig up the cd. they did an excellent cover of 'always on my mind', too.

i completely agree with heartlandgirl about sixpence. i don't think they're actually half bad, but they've turned a favourite of mine into this horribly bland tune (i think paul young was pretty guilty of that too).

i think i might just give another nod towards madonna's american pie. terrible stuff.

oh, and here's one for the asian market

there's this terrible taiwanese boyband/supergroup called F4 that did a version of 'can't help falling in love' by elvis. i cannot find words to describe how awful it is. you can probably find it on kazaa...if you dare.

HeartlandGirl said:

Here She Comes by Sixpence None the Richer. They need to stop doing covers and learn to play their own damn songs. Not that I'd like that any more, but... :D

Do you mean There She Goes?

Oh and POD's cover of BTBS isn't actually that bad.

Avril Lavigne doing Chop Suey was though.

Back
Top Bottom