world cup qualifying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrmn8rpoptart

War Child
United States 2, Mexico 0

By BARRY WILNER, AP Sports Writer
September 3, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- There was no better way for the United States to make the World Cup than with a shutout victory over Mexico.

The Americans are headed to next year's soccer championship in Germany after beating the Mexicans 2-0 Saturday night thanks to goals by Steve Ralston and DaMarcus Beasley five minutes apart in the second half.

``We had one blemish on our record when we lost in Mexico City,'' coach Bruce Arena said, ``and it was nice to get that back, and it was very special to qualify against our archrivals.''

U.S. star Landon Donovan said it more strongly: ``They do a lot of talking. They haven't beat us in a long time here. I'm kind of sick of it. There's no better scenario than to beat them easily.''

It wasn't all that easy, and it took those two quick strikes after a sloppy and chippy first half to lift the United States into the 32-team tournament with three games to spare. It was the first time since 1934 that the Americans were the first team into the World Cup from North and Central America and the Caribbean.

It will be the fifth straight World Cup appearance for the Americans, who are ranked sixth in the world, one spot behind Mexico -- for now.

The win avenged a 2-1 loss in Mexico in March and gave American goalkeeper Kasey Keller his 50th career victory for the national team. The United States has not lost to Mexico on American soil in seven games since 1999, and has not yielded any goals in that span, either.

On both scores, Mexico seemed confused who should be where on set plays. Eddie Lewis' 35-yard floating free kick was headed by Oguchi Onyewu, whose 6-foot-4 height came in handy as he soared over the smallish, befuddled defense. His shot hit a goalpost and bounded into the air directly to the unguarded Ralston, who got his second career international goal.

``It was about the easiest goal I've scored,'' said Ralston, who has only 13 international appearances and never can be sure if he'll be in the lineup. ``It was a scrappy game and we showed a lot of heart.''

The goal woke up the flag-waving, red-white-and-blue clad American fans, who began pounding the bleachers with their feet. The noise seemed to further unnerve the visitors, and they were out of position on a short U.S. corner kick by Donovan.

The ball came to Claudio Reyna, and the unmarked U.S. captain fed an equally wide-open Beasley. His twisting left-footed kick soared over goalkeeper Oswaldo Sanchez, who had no chance.

``I kept telling him if I am open, just get it to me,'' Beasley said of Reyna, with whom he practiced that set piece on Friday.

From there, it was a matter of getting another shutout for Keller, who has blanked five straight opponents in qualifying and has a scoreless streak of 507 minutes in all. The Americans are 6-1 in the final qualifying round and play at Guatemala on Wednesday, when most of the regulars will be excused.

Mexico (5-1-1) still needs another point in its final three games to get one of the region's three berths at Germany 2006. Its coach, Ricardo Lavolpe, was not impressed by the winners.

``The U.S. is a small team,'' he said. ``They play like my sister, my aunt and my grandmother.''

At the final whistle, most of the 24,685 fans chanted ``U-S-A! U-S-A!'' as several players ran off the bench wrapped in U.S. flags. All of the Americans were handed flags, which they then draped on their shoulders or waved to the crowd as fireworks lit the sky.

``Obviously, this is a relief,'' said Arena, who guided the U.S. team to the quarterfinals in the 2002 World Cup. ``The whole purpose at the beginning of qualifying is to quickly make the World Cup, and we did it before anyone else.''

The strong U.S. showing in the second half helped ease the ugliness of the first 45 minutes, in which neither team truly threatened until the final minute. Keller needed to make a diving hand save on Ramon Morales' free kick in injury time.

``That's what goalkeeping is all about,'' Keller said. ``It's really having nothing to do at times, and then having to make sure you are concentrating and ready to make the save when called upon. Going in 1-0 down would have been a travesty.''

Otherwise, the visitors seemed satisfied to keep the scoreboard empty -- and to keep fouling midfielder Beasley, who was victimized four times in the half, five times overall.

``I think Mexico tried to set the tone in the beginning, kicking us and fouling us and trying to get us off our game,'' Beasley said. ``But obviously it didn't work.''

In turn, U.S. defender Frankie Hejduk committed four fouls in the opening 45 minutes.

``The first team to make a mistake would not win, and Mexico made the mistake,'' Lavolpe said.

Notes

Reyna drew a first-half yellow card, meaning he will be suspended for Wednesday night's game at Guatemala, which is insignificant -- with the Americans already qualified, Reyna will head back to Manchester City in England. U.S. defender Gregg Berhalter also drew a yellow and also is suspended. ... Mexico's Duilio Davino's yellow card means he will be out for Wednesday's home game against with Panama. ... There were 38 fouls in the game. ... The national team is 3-0-3 at Crew Stadium. ... Costa Rica (3-3-1) is third with 10 points following a 3-1 victory at Panama (0-5-2). Trinidad and Tobago rallied to beat visiting Guatemala 3-2, leaving both teams with seven points at 2-4-1. The No. 4 team goes to a playoff against Bahrain or Uzbekistan.
:rockon:

this is awesome, and i can't wait for next summer! i'm not going to curse them like i did the rockies (who ARE the best nl west team btw) and predict that they will win it all, but the world has been put on notice towards us soccer.

and btw, someone needs to point out that if the usa played like his little sister, then he just got his ass handed to him by his little sister.

Its coach, Ricardo Lavolpe, was not impressed by the winners.

``The U.S. is a small team,'' he said. ``They play like my sister, my aunt and my grandmother.''

classy guy :rolleyes:

In the Oceania group (which I'm sure everyone is dying to hear about).

Australia will take, what I deem a slight advantage into the second leg of their tie with the Solomon Islands - after beating them 7-0 in Sydney this weekend.

I could rant about how the usa qualify through their group with such ease because all the other teams are pathetic (except mexico who aren't exactly great) [in comparison to the european and south american groups, in which they would struggle mightly] but all of this talk is pointless as we all know the world cup winner will be from europe or south america

Last edited:
the rockin edge said:
I could rant about how the usa qualify through their group with such ease because all the other teams are pathetic (except mexico who aren't exactly great) [in comparison to the european and south american groups, in which they would struggle mightly] but all of this talk is pointless as we all know the world cup winner will be from europe or south america

the world cup winner will be England!!!

Hahaha. Right.

timothius, the Solomons just need three drop goals to beat that score. Oh wait.

I think the USA overachieved massively last time round and will struggle. I'd like them to do well but I don't think they will.

I think it is important that the World is represented at the WC Finals. So I have no prob with USA rolling their way through to the finals... that being said I believe Oceania should also be afforded a position for their best team... the way in which that was given/taken was disgusting.

Putting Australia (let's face it, the Cook Islands and Vanuatu aren't going to the World Cup until maybe 3056) in a group with Asian countries is utterly stupid though, because Australia is not part of Asia.

My ideal situation is having a 'world group' where countries from different continents compete but this is a) mathematically and b) logistically impossible.

Putting Oceania in Asia is foolish I agree. The only way that I can see it happening is giving Oceania direct qualification (which would see New Zealand and Australia essentially play-off). Some may argue that Australias inability to knock-off any South American/Asian teams in the play-offs proves that Oceania doesn't deserve a place. But the system is in not exactly aimed at getting the best 20 teams.

I'm not exactly an expert on FIFA politics... but from what I gather Oceania's ass-hattery in regards to a few issues & votes in the recent past have not helped them.

the world cup winner will be England!!! :lol:

They "only" need 1 keeper, 4 defenders, 2 midfields and 2 forwards. :laugh:

Brazil :dancing:
Argentina :lock:

The Concacaf is a joke... they should have the damn Concacaf play against the South American teams so truly the best teams from the American continent are represented. It is ridiculous that Uruguay is fighting for a spot in Germany, while Guatemala has a shot at qualifying as well...

Half of the South America teams are qualified in every world cup U2@NYC, of course South America has the better ratio of victory but some continents like Africa are not represented enough, Oceania has only a 1/2 ticket
The problem is the number of European teams. Some teams like Denmark or Spain are useless.... :whistle:

Right my super predictions for the whole of World Cup qualifying. Some of these are straight out guesses.

UEFA:

Northern Ireland 1-1 Wales
Bosnia 3-0 San Marino
Finland 0-2 Romania
Denmark 2-1 Greece
Scotland 2-1 Belarus
Israel 3-0 Faroe Islands
Bulgaria 1-1 Hungary
Croatia 1-3 Sweden
England 2-0 Austria
Norway 3-0 Moldova
Russia 6-0 Luxembourg
Czech Republic 1-2 Netherlands
Slovakia 3-1 Estonia
Belgium 0-2 Spain
Georgia 2-0 Kazakhstan
Switzerland 1-2 France
Ukraine 3-0 Albania
Italy 2-0 Slovenia
Cyprus 0-1 Rep Of Ireland
Portugal 5-0 Liechtenstein
Lithuania 0-3 Serbia & Montenegro

CONMEBOL

Colombia 2-1 Chile
Venezuela 1-2 Paraguay
Ecuador 0-1 Uruguay
Bolivia 1-1 Brazil
Argentina 2-0 Peru

CONCACAF

Costa Rica 1-2 USA
Panama 0-2 Trinidad & Tobago
Mexico 3-0 Guatemala

AFC

Uzbekistan 1-0 Bahran

CAF

Botswana 1-1 Guinea
Rwana 0-3 Angola
Cameroon 2-1 Egypt
Senegal 2-0 Mali
Cape Verde Islands 0-3 Ghana
South Africa 1-2 Congo DR
Congo 0-2 Togo
Sudan 0-3 Cote D'Ivoire
Gabon 1-1 Algeria
Tunisia 2-1 Morocco
Malawi 0-1 Kenya
Uganda 1-1 Burkina Faso
Nigeria 3-0 Zimbabwe
Benin 0-0 Libya

We all know Ireland are going to win, so you may as well just hand the trophy over now and play out the rest of the matches as friendlies.

shield.gif

Is the mighty Amir Karic still playing for Slovenia? I remember Euro 2000 and the emergence of Zlatko Zahovic. :(

I think the 'shock' result might be Brazil not winning. The altitude in La Paz always works against visiting teams.

I have huge doubts over Ireland qualifying; I think the Swiss and the French will ultimately make it. The result at Lansdowne against France will cost them.

I think the 'shock' result might be Brazil not winning. The altitude in La Paz always works against visiting teams. [/B]

Brazil only sends the B team.

I have huge doubts over Ireland qualifying; I think the Swiss and the French will ultimately make it. The result at Lansdowne against France will cost them. [/B]

:dance:

'Slovenia forward Klemen Lavric of German club MSV Duisburg will miss the qualifiers against Italy on Saturday and Scotland on October 12.
"Lavric's knee injury has got worse over the past two weeks so he will have to miss both qualifiers," Slovenian Soccer Association spokesman Uros Stanic said on Thursday.

Coach Brane Oblak has called up midfielder Miso Brecko of Hansa Rostock for the match in Italy. Midfielder Nastja Ceh will be back for the game with Scotland after suspension.'

Ceh - :up:

Scotland 0-1 Belarus
Finland 0-1 Romania
Nigeria 5-1 Zimbabwe
Rwanda 0-1 Angola
Angola qualified for the World Cup for the first time :applaud:
England 1-0 Austria
Russia 4-1 Luxemburg
Slovakia 1-0 Estonia
Bulgaria 2-0 Hungary
Congo 2-3 Togo
Togo qualified :applaud: