Woodcock, Pennsylvania Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of 26 weeks, we spent 3 in the top eight. For the first time ever, 8th defeated the 1st place team in the finals, and then, again, for the first time ever, the 8th place team made it through to the grand final qualifier.

I'm scared of waking up and finding out it's a dream.

That sounds amazing. See, you give me hope that the 100 year curse may be coming to an end. But since you went to sleep, I don't know that you will ever see this post :lol:

OH HELL YES

Porcupine Tree

Oh waaaaah, I'm tired of living under the shadow of Pink Floyd, waaaahhh, stop comparing me to Pink Floyd. Yeah, maybe we'll stop comparing you to Pink Floyd when you stop fucking trying to be Pink Floyd, you long haired hippie dorks. I don't know quite by what fluke you wound up with the biggest fan base of nerds since Star Trek, but enjoy it while it lasts. And stop trying to fucking experiment with new sounds and go back to being the poor man's Pink Floyd, because that's what brings home the bacon, idiots.

:love:

Is Texas close to Chicago, relatively speaking? Because Texas to Chicago is probably bigger than any domestic flight in New Zealand by a big margin.

Mmmmm, omelette. I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow.

Chicago and Texas are about 1300 miles away from each other. My home town in Indiana, however, is 50 miles from Chicago. I go to school VERY far away from where I live.

That omlette was worth it :drool:
Forgive me for this constant quoting, but I'm kind of tired and just swigging some crispy Birra Moretti and this is just really fucking good:

The Your Band Sucks Anniversary Zing Blowout

Christ, how the hell did Billy Corgan decide that he should be a rock star? He looked in the mirror and said "Hey! I look like a cross between Nosferatu and a penis, and I sing like Rod Stewart with a severe case of mumps doing a Peter Lorre impression! I've got what it takes!"

Oh my God, that's beautiful.

Is it true that Kevin Shields became really fat after Loveless? I couldn't find any real evidence from a Google image search, just this picture of Mark E Smith.

MES50.jpg

This is, in fact, not the worst picture of Mark E Smith I've ever seen.
and that is terrifying :sad:

I actually agree with the no such thing as Coldplay fans thing

I mean people like their music but I don't know anyone who is obsessed with them and loves them

That sounds amazing. See, you give me hope that the 100 year curse may be coming to an end. But since you went to sleep, I don't know that you will ever see this post :lol:

Chicago and Texas are about 1300 miles away from each other. My home town in Indiana, however, is 50 miles from Chicago. I go to school VERY far away from where I live.

That omlette was worth it :drool:

I hope never to fact something like the 100 year curse. The Warriors are only 12 years old....there is the slight possibility we could be facing the 41 year old virgins in the final, though.

1300 miles? Good god. That's longer than Auckland -> Sydney. That's closer to Ian -> Bonnie distance.

I would guess they probably distributed it to the European market, or something. Because they're French, right? Or am I making this up. :hmm:

I've played all the AOE games, I don't remember that in particular, what is the mission? The horses are likely just eye candy and probably have a certain use in the context of the mission. Just keep using your military for military type things.

ah yea they're french!

:hmm: youré right, turns out I had to catch 10 horses for some new ally... nice.. he supplied me with an army!

I like how, when you let your villagers build a mining camp, when they finish, they start mining right away! you don't have to give them commands anymore! Sweet!

I actually agree with the no such thing as Coldplay fans thing

I mean people like their music but I don't know anyone who is obsessed with them and loves them

*cough* from a coldplay message board

Topic: IS THERE ANY BAND EVEN CLOSE TO COLDPLAY???

First Post: what do you guys think is there any band of this decade or generation that maybe has a similar sound or comes close to coldplay in consistent songs and albums? and U2 doesnt count there day was back in the 80's lets talk about from the 90's on (well maybe U3 can count then)
wink2.gif

More Posts:

*NO

NO ONE

AT ALL

smug.gif

I think coldplay are easily the best band to come out of this century. Oddly enough there have been very few dominating forces in 21st century music.

They would've been run over by oasis, the verve, nirvana and radiohead in the 90s which was full of said powerhouses, but those types of bands have dropped off the maps as of the last 8 years (which is why everyone compares coldplay to historic bands like radiohead and u2 as opposed to current bands). Who else is there? muse?(although I think technically they started late 90s and has been unsuccessful in making an impact across the pond) the killers? the strokes? the shins? mainly a bunch of niche bands that do what they do really well but don't have the consistency or variety to reach u2-like status.
I'm kind of dissapointed that the past 8 years hasn't merited a lot of young potential for coldplay to compete against for the world's ears. Come a "best of the 00's" vh1 special coldplay will dominate, but who knows whether they would've survived the fierce competition of decades past.

* Well Coldplay is clearly at the top...every single one of their songs is rated 4 or above on my itunes...and most are five...every song is simply an amazing work of art

I would have to say that radiohead and nirvana are the two recentish bands that come close are far as every song being absolutely great...i am not sure if they are current enough, "this generation"

and as stated before there simply hasn't been a lot of competition...no bands have been consistently great...i think this is somewhat a product of the itunes age...all u have to do is produce a hit single...it will sell a billion copies because of easy access online...but u dont need to produce a great album with great songs throughout b/c people are in it for the pop single...

It just gets worse IS THERE ANY BAND EVEN CLOSE TO COLDPLAY??? - Coldplaying.com Messageboard

Anyway, I'm off, In the hope I avoid a hangover. I may cry in the morning.

:wave:

Night!

Ashley, I hope the Cubs pull something crazy out of nowhere this week...judging by Warriors results, they're due.

:love: good night. Fake up in the morning and smile because it all really happened :D

"Well Coldplay is clearly at the top...every single one of their songs is rated 4 or above on my itunes...and most are five...every song is simply an amazing work of art"

Clearly at the top, no doubt. Is there any other proof than the fact that some wanker who actually rates songs on iTunes happens to like all of their songs? Shouldn't you like basically every song that you put on iTunes?

Can't wait to have a look at this forum. Nothing like chilling with the Internet on a Friday night after driving with a cat in the front seat as far as lonely good times go.

"Well Coldplay is clearly at the top...every single one of their songs is rated 4 or above on my itunes...and most are five...every song is simply an amazing work of art"

Clearly at the top, no doubt. Is there any other proof than the fact that some wanker who actually rates songs on iTunes happens to like all of their songs? Shouldn't you like basically every song that you put on iTunes?

I got a few one star-ers.

wait...

I don't rate songs on iTunes :uhoh:

The real problem with that Coldplay forum is not the fact that it's a Coldplay forum, but the fact that every member uses an unscaled image from cplaywallpapers.co.uk in their signature.

Oh you bastard:

The first band I thought on when I heard the title of this thread was, maybe not so strange, U2. Cause U2 has been compared to Coldplay before. But if U2 isn't counting here, there can't be any bands at all
smiley2.gif

If I could get in a defensive of U2 mode for a second....NO ONE COMPARES U2 TO COLDPLAY YOU FEKKIN' IJIT

The real problem with that Coldplay forum is not the fact that it's a Coldplay forum, but the fact that every member uses an unscaled image from cplaywallpapers.co.uk in their signature.

That's what I hate about the Bruce message board. No limits on sig size there either :doh:

And I actually rate songs on iTunes...and I don't like every song I put on it because of some of the crap on DI lists and some albums just have crap songs

That's what I hate about the Bruce message board. No limits on sig size there either :doh:

I remember making a fake account on one of my mate's message boards once. I pretended to be this stupid adolescent nu-metal fan, and my avatar was an 800x600 picture of Linkin Park.

I still think that's really funny for some reason. I got the whole annoying charade down pat!

I have to say, though, that the sig image limits here are actually a bit small for my liking. You may as well have none at all!

the genius of yellow...:lol:

Yellow sounds like the band wrote a song and Chris made up lyrics on the spot

I was just about to comment on that post...well, actually the post that that comment was arguing with. The only person on that forum that seemed to have half a brain :lol:

But this one also got me

^^ yes indeed I hear a lot of Coldplay sounds popping up everywhere. And I love it. It is just what this century needs.
flutterby.gif

I want to point out that the post s/he is pointing at (incidentally, I hope the posting of a butterfly emoticon indicates a female) referred to the Coldplay sound as a piano. Proving once again that Chris Martin did in fact, invent the Piano.

And I actually rate songs on iTunes...and I don't like every song I put on it because of some of the crap on DI lists and some albums just have crap songs

yeah, DI stuff is what I rate for the most part, to keep track of what it was I did and didn't like.

Semi-off topic. Oh My God, I can't get enough of the single Okkervil River track I have on iTunes...I need moar.

I remember making a fake account on one of my mate's message boards once. I pretended to be this stupid adolescent nu-metal fan, and my avatar was an 800x600 picture of Linkin Park.

I still think that's really funny for some reason. I got the whole annoying charade down pat!

I have to say, though, that the sig image limits here are actually a bit small for my liking. You may as well have none at all!

That's hilarious

I like the sig limits here, but I HATE the fact that they won't let me have my last.fm anymore :sad:, I almost didn't renew my PM account over that

I want to point out that the post s/he is pointing at (incidentally, I hope the posting of a butterfly emoticon indicates a female) referred to the Coldplay sound as a piano. Proving once again that Chris Martin did in fact, invent the Piano.

The coldplay sound = Too much falsetto + piano; effect driven Edge like guitar; the good looking on; the bald one :wink:

Coldplay aren't original at all; neither are U2...though

yeah, DI stuff is what I rate for the most part, to keep track of what it was I did and didn't like.

Semi-off topic. Oh My God, I can't get enough of the single Okkervil River track I have on iTunes...I need moar.

When I'm listening to albums I rate the songs so I can come up with a rating for rate your music

There's few bands I'd rate every song at at least 4 stars though

When I'm listening to albums I rate the songs so I can come up with a rating for rate your music

There's few bands I'd rate every song at at least 4 stars though

Oh right, forgot how obsessive you are about that :wink:

Yeah, that's just being a poser fan right there. There's just no possible way that you can like EVERY song by an artist.

Holy shit. :lmao:

Oh man, that could nearly beat the dumbest shit posted on this board.

:doh:

I think that you can't compare them to anyone. Think about it this way....when Yellow comes on the radio, Who doesnt know the words? If not to the whole song then just at least to the Chorus. No other band writes songs that can be sung at concerts like that. And for Coldplay unlike other band it's not just that one song...If you go to one of thier shows everyone know the words to EVERY song.
Coldplay in a sense has defined the generation of the 00's. They have written songs that everyone knows and likes. Not one person doesn't have at least one of their songs on their ipods or MP3 players.

Coldplay I think may even be alittle underrated and it's only because at the present moment rap and R&B is the most popular.

I think the reason why Coldplay has been dominant on the Alt. scene for the past eight years is because they write songs that people can relate to and understand. They write songs about love and heartbreak, and with lyrics that can truly be understood and the listener can really connect to.

Coldplay will forever be in the minds of my generation, whether it be hearing the intro to Clocks for the first time or singing along to the OOOOOOOHH's of VLV...All I know is that when I get married and have kids....my kids are going to be sooooo sick of Coldplay!!!
grin.gif

ETA: I seriously connect with the sentiment of just KNOWING that St. Peter will call my name

There's some bands I like every song I know of as in 3 star +; but for me 3 star is kinda yeah it's decent, I like it but it's pretty meh

4 stars to me would be a great song and 5 would be brilliant

with 2 being average and 1 being bad

There's some bands I like every song I know of as in 3 star +; but for me 3 star is kinda yeah it's decent, I like it but it's pretty meh

4 stars to me would be a great song and 5 would be brilliant

with 2 being average and 1 being bad

Maybe because all of my favorite bands have such big catalogs, but seriously, even U2 has about three or four 1 Star songs for me.

Bruce definitely has a few 1 and 2 stars,

The Killers have a few

Peter gabriel, definitely.

Tom Petty...yeah he's definitely got a few

Guys Pussycat Dolls sound like Coldplay now

So Coldplay sound like U2

and U2 sound like Joy Division

Pussycat Dolls are the new Joy Division :ohmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom