Wold Cup advertising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudimani

Acrobat
Have to say the tv advertisements during the World Cup have been particularly poor this year.

The worst has to be Adidas' awful "Football-itis" campaign, which is frankly irritating and stupid, thing is Beckham isnt acting in that ad, he is THAT stupid. Adidas always seem to be behind Nike in the quality of ads over recent world cups.

Havent seen a lot of Nike's ads this year for some reason, but they arent just as cool as they usually are either 'the cage' and Eric Cantona just arent as cool as beach football :D

big prize for best ad for me goes so far to Pepsi (not the sumo one, ugh) but the one where the player taking a free kick bows to the defensive wall, who bow in return, and the taker promptly strikes the ball over their heads into the net :D

In general though, must try harder guys

My fav (Tiger Beer Singapore):

Shots of various sleepy-eyed people in various European locations (French cafes etc.). Cut to big black screen that reads 'This World Cup, time is on our side.' Cut to pub in Singapore, where pubbers celebrate a goal. It's broad daylight and they don't look the least bit sleepy.

Other than that most of the other ads are crap.

ah no! i think the ads are deadly cloudi-may i call you cloudi?

the pepsi one with the wall is very funny i agree!

all the eircom ads, i think, are FANTASTIC. there seem to be two sets- 1- the "Be There For The Team" ones, which i think are BRILLIANT! and 2- The ones with the eircom mouse- when hes meeting the team , and when he sits beside Mick in the press conference- i think theyre brilliant!

The Nike ones are fantastic- however i dont like the recent one "without the cage". i remember when i saw the first one for the first time, i LOVED it, not least because im a big Elvis fan, and i like Cantona!

The Mastercard ones are absolutely hilarious, i think they are fuckin class -" if you take away barthez, thuram, desailly, henry, zidane, petit...i mean who do France really have?" and
"We got a good result against the Camer....Cameroo....Camrooo....Camerooneaneans" CLASSIC!"You may have Sami Al Jaber but we have Clinton Morrison...and dont you forget it pal!" there are so many brilliant Mastercard ones!

And what can you say about the Jason McAteer Carlsberg one? has to be one of the best ads EVER! "*Daydream...i fell asleep beneath the flowers...for a couple of hours*" Its Good bye Spain, Hello Argentina!!" "The Republic of ireland have won the world cup" " "They said it was impossible..but nobody told Jason McAteer!" one of the great things about it is that they use the goals from the qualifiers, its great! "Carlsberg don't do dreams..but if they did they'd probably be the best dreams in the world"

Please say you like that one at least! i actually get tingles watching it!

And if you still dont like them, you HAVE to like the Apres Match guys right? who couldnt? funniest thing since Father Ted!

Last edited:
The Nike ones are very good, The last one without the cage were the players sink the ship is excellent.. Great song too

The Sumo ones are also very funny

ccolhandlaura said:

And what can you say about the Jason McAteer Carlsberg one? has to be one of the best ads EVER! "*Daydream...i fell asleep beneath the flowers...for a couple of hours*" Its Good bye Spain, Hello Argentina!!" "The Republic of ireland have won the world cup" " "They said it was impossible..but nobody told Jason McAteer!" one of the great things about it is that they use the goals from the qualifiers, its great! "Carlsberg don't do dreams..but if they did they'd probably be the best dreams in the world"

Please say you like that one at least! i actually get tingles watching it!

And if you still dont like them, you HAVE to like the Apres Match guys right? who couldnt? funniest thing since Father Ted!

Haha, spot on! Carlsberg 1 gets my vote as best ad ever! :yes:

And Apres Match, pity it's only in drips and drabs! But the German 1 before the big game was one of the best ever, about turning Ireland into a giant golf course, with Limerick as the first hole!

Nike 1 is pretty class too, if you see the whole thing, somethin like 5 min long!

Adidas ones are complete shite though for sure

I noticed one last nigth that made me laugh.
It started with a close up of the coach of the Australian soccer team, Frank Farina. He had tears pouring down his face, absolutely sobbing (great acting Frank my boy). They panned back and he is standing in front of big screen TV's showing a soccer game. It turns into a Sony ad with the punch line something like "the next best thing to being there"Hur Hur Hur.
I thought it was funny and Frank was being a good "sport", considering how devastated he was on the flight back from Uruguay.

I presume we are listening to different commentators too. One of them we have to listen to down here is so annoying, he comes out with the dumbest things, such as "I'd like to shoot the person who started the Mexican wave" And the 2 Englishmen commentating last night's game, talk about biased. All good fun:)

I think the Footballitis commercials are quite funny. Maybe after seeing it ad nauseum, they get annoying, but on first view, I thought they were quite clever and original.

Actually Laura, I have to agree, I think the Irish ads beat the mega-sports company's ones hands down, on humour and imagination!
I stand by what I said about the Adidas ones, they are horrible truly, even the ones that were bettered last time round by Nike's v. cool ones were at least good to watch and quite nice and arty and had cool music! Now they're just annoying.
The Jason McAteer one is sooooooooooooo funny :D and I also like the Eircom mouse :) I think its good the Irish players and staff dont take themselves so seriously that they'd take part in something like that, cant see Roy Keane get off his high horse to have a laugh :p
The Mastercard ones are also quite funny at times, especially the Terry Phelan jibes ;)

red-"isnt it strange how all the great players have great names...figo, maradona, pele..."
yellow- "Terry Phelen"

Priceless!!!!

also, red drunkenly shoutin at a saudi fan..."You may have Sami Al Jaber...but we have Clinton Morrison,...and DONT YOU FORGET IT PAL!"

y'know every time i see the eircom ad with shay given....well i love him, and if i had a voodoo doll of the one he kisses on the forehead....! the first time i saw it, i nearly fell through the floor!! cloudi, i dunno if you a girl or a boy, so this might be goin over your head..but Shay Given!!

PLEASE PLEASE we've got to keep this thread near the top, because i am LOVIN the team pic!! thats before the germany game isnt it??

bono-vox said:
oh oh have u seen the Vodafone one....where its No pressure on you boys...Good luck.....

I BLOODY LOVE THAT AD!!!!!!!!!!

"last time everything was goin great, y'now, we beat italy and it all went *whistles*

So cmon lads (NO PRESSURE OR ANYTHING)

Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.

Absolute classic!! and the way he talks and everything!! thatd be me!!

he is isnt he??? the way he talks is cute!!

OH MY GOD!!
have you seen my thread asking what the hell that music is??its down at the bottom somewhere cuz noone knew!!
I love it!!its class!!! those ads are class full stop!! I REALLY WANT THE MUSIC!!

bono-vox said:
aaaaaw maybe we should e-mail eircom and ask them

oh god this is so embarassing.... I DID! i did bloody email them , and i even set up an eircom account specially, cuz i didnt want to be sending Eircom a message from my hotmail account cuz i thought theyd be pissed and not reply!!!!!!

THERE! theres my dark secret, its out, this should have been in Zoo Confessionals!!

*hides in corner shamed!!*

oh, and no answer yet anyway!!

Back
Top Bottom