Winslow, Arizona - Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only heard from their State of Emergency album, so that may be why I'm unimpressed with them.

I ... think? I heard the lead single from that album and didn't care. I was already off them by 2004 as their singles then were right clunkers.

But the self-titled debut? That's got some scorching tracks on it, including the aforementioned All Torn Down.

I ... think? I heard the lead single from that album and didn't care. I was already off them by 2004 as their singles then were right clunkers.

But the self-titled debut? That's got some scorching tracks on it, including the aforementioned All Torn Down.

Previewing it on iTunes now. Seems to be pretty good.

Previewing it on iTunes now. Seems to be pretty good.

It's certainly no landmark album but it's got fond memories attached for me.

Actually, the other day I was digging up all kinds of nostalgia tracks from when I was 11-15. That was fun times. Interesting to see what's held up well and what just sounds lame now.

It's certainly no landmark album but it's got fond memories attached for me.

Actually, the other day I was digging up all kinds of nostalgia tracks from when I was 11-15. That was fun times. Interesting to see what's held up well and what just sounds lame now.

It's kind of this amalgam of Green Day and The Clash, with a dash of Sex Pistols, a hint of U2 and a pinch of The Boomtown Rats. Me like.

All I listened to during that time was, er, Backstreet Boys, nSync, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. :reject: *awaits flogging*

11-15, eh?

Oh shit, I'm still in that age group. At least I don't have anything crap to show for it. :shifty: (except maybe a short casual fandom with Matchbox Twenty for about a few months :uhoh:)

It's kind of this amalgam of Green Day and The Clash, with a dash of Sex Pistols, a hint of U2 and a pinch of The Boomtown Rats. Me like.

All I listened to during that time was, er, Backstreet Boys, nSync, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. :reject: *awaits flogging*

Yeah, seems like it'd suit you.

Haha. For me it was mostly just alt rock. Who here remembers Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger? Now there's a song that has held up very well.

11-15, eh?

Oh shit, I'm still in that age group. At least I don't have anything crap to show for it. :shifty: (except maybe a short casual fandom with Matchbox Twenty for about a few months :uhoh:)

When I was 10-11, Push by Matchbox Twenty was one of my favourite songs. There were a couple of other songs on their debut that I quite liked too.

I still reckon Matchbox Twenty get more shit than they deserve (though that single from Exile On Mainstream was truly awful). I don't know how people get so worked up over such an unobjectionable and unremarkable run-of-the-mill band. Sure their music isn't CLASSIC FOR THE AGES, but it's not exactly Nickelback either.

I effing LOVE that song.

To be fair, I was also into Green Day, Korn, Metallica, U2, Matchbox 20 (as they were known back then), The Beatles, and other alt rock that i was beginning to disocver and grow out of the whole boyband thing.

1997 was an epic year for music...or maybe it was just an epic year for the music I like. Either way, 1997, ftw.

When I was 10-11, Push by Matchbox Twenty was one of my favourite songs. There were a couple of other songs on their debut that I quite liked too.

I still reckon Matchbox Twenty get more shit than they deserve (though that single from Exile On Mainstream was truly awful). I don't know how people get so worked up over such an unobjectionable and unremarkable run-of-the-mill band. Sure their music isn't CLASSIC FOR THE AGES, but it's not exactly Nickelback either.

Songs like Long Day and Real World are still quite a bit of a guilty pleasure for myself, I loved Unwell when it was around in 2003. I remember being 8 years old and the ARIA's were on, and I was hoping Matchbox Twenty were participating before I understood they were American.

One thing's for sure, in no way to they deserve to be regarded as a Nickelback or a Creed of sorts. They're even miles better and enjoyable than The Fray.

I effing LOVE that song.

For a Top 40 song it's very listenable.

OK, I'm getting my iPod out. Need me some 13-year-old tuneage.

I effing LOVE that song.

To be fair, I was also into Green Day, Korn, Metallica, U2, Matchbox 20 (as they were known back then), The Beatles, and other alt rock that i was beginning to disocver and grow out of the whole boyband thing.

Oh god, I fuckin' BOUGHT Metallica's Reload album because of The Unforgiven II. Perhaps my stupidest ever music purchase. There's some shit in my collection but at least I didn't buy the other bollocks.

When I was going on my nostalgia trip, I played a couple of songs that honestly I probably wouldn't rate much if it weren't for the nostalgia, though I still enjoyed them. Then Flagpole Sitta came on and I was all "holy fuck why haven't I been playing this all the time since 1998?!"

1997 was an epic year for music...or maybe it was just an epic year for the music I like. Either way, 1997, ftw.

I have always thought the same thing!

It had Pop, Blur, Ok Computer (even through my general dislike of the band's popularity and worship), Urban Hymns and Oasis' Be Here Now which was critically unpopular although it still has some very respectable tunes on it.

OK so I'm digging up some more nostalgia, and oh my god these MP3s I downloaded from Kazaa back in '02 are such fucking shit. :lol:

Songs like Long Day and Real World are still quite a bit of a guilty pleasure for myself, I loved Unwell when it was around in 2003. I remember being 8 years old and the ARIA's were on, and I was hoping Matchbox Twenty were participating before I understood they were American.

Long Day, Real World, and Back To Good were my favourites besides Push. Think Back To Good was my favourite of the lot. There were also a couple of songs on the second album I dug. Frankly, tempted to dig the albums out and see what I think these days. Can think of some other nostalgia lying around in drawers upstairs that might be worth hearing again.

I have always thought the same thing!

It had Pop, Blur, Ok Computer (even through my general dislike of the band's popularity and worship), Urban Hymns and Oasis' Be Here Now which was critically unpopular although it still has some very respectable tunes on it.
Also, Green Day's nimrod. and The Offspring put out Americana. ("Pretty Fly For A White Guy" [aka Axver's theme song :wink:]) If my iTunes were properly loaded, I could gush more of 1997's epicness.

OK so I'm digging up some more nostalgia, and oh my god these MP3s I downloaded from Kazaa back in '02 are such fucking shit. :lol:

Long Day, Real World, and Back To Good were my favourites besides Push. Think Back To Good was my favourite of the lot. There were also a couple of songs on the second album I dug. Frankly, tempted to dig the albums out and see what I think these days. Can think of some other nostalgia lying around in drawers upstairs that might be worth hearing again.

Yourself Or Someone Like You listening party? :hyper:

:laugh:

Also, Green Day's nimrod. and The Offspring put out Americana. ("Pretty Fly For A White Guy" [aka Axver's theme song :wink:]) If my iTunes were properly loaded, I could gush more of 1997's epicness.

Hey now, my theme song is White And Nerdy by Weird Al!

Is it wrong that I could be up for that?

Fuck I'm going to have no cred left. But good tunes are good tunes, so who gives a shit. I WILL play Yourself Or Someone Like You to see if it does indeed contain the good tunes my 12 year old self reckons it has.

I've remembered, back when I was about 5/6/7 years old we were given my cousin's CD's that she didn't want no more. Some stuff that I would listen to all the time, and you now what bands I sometimes put on the CD player (gifted child my arse) were? Yep, Five and NSYNC, among some Madonna and uh, can I stop now? :uhoh: And you know what? I really liked it at the time. In addition, back then I really liked NSYNC's (or NSTINK, amirite?) Bye Bye Bye song.

Don't kick me out of the superthread for this but if you do I'll understand. :sad:

Let me finish Pretty Fly For A White Guy before we push play, k? :lol:

Man, I love this album. I can't stand anything else by The Offspring, but I love this.

Also from 1997/1998 : Blink-182's Enema Of The State. (You know you giggled at the naked dudes in the What's My Age Again? video...)

Haha, at least I can say I never listened to boybands. I knew this guy who loved the Backstreet Boys (I bet he's embarrassed about that!), but no amount of him playing them could convince me they were anything but rot. We were at least able to compromise on, uh ... Hybrid Theory.

And sorry Reggo, even back in the day I didn't like Blink 182.

I remember being kind of bored by Back 2 Good because it went for 5 and a half minutes long! Feels weird that I can pay enough attention to listen to songs twice that length these days.

:D

I only have Exile on Mainstream. :(

Is it wrong that I could be up for that?

Fuck I'm going to have no cred left. But good tunes are good tunes, so who gives a shit. I WILL play Yourself Or Someone Like You to see if it does indeed contain the good tunes my 12 year old self reckons it has.

Not at all! Nostalgia is nostalgia. I recall being wowed by the Long Day solo. :laugh:

Haha, at least I can say I never listened to boybands. I knew this guy who loved the Backstreet Boys (I bet he's embarrassed about that!), but no amount of him playing them could convince me they were anything but rot. We were at least able to compromise on, uh ... Hybrid Theory.

Ah, Linkin Park. I've always disliked them even back in the days of Numb because I thought it was too "angry".

Ah, Linkin Park. I've always disliked them even back in the days of Numb because I thought it was too "angry".

Oh you kids and your "back in the days of Numb"! That's when Linkin Park lost me because I thought they'd gone soft.

Been meaning to listen to Hybrid Theory again. I had a kind of reactionary "oh my god all Linkin Park is shit!!!!!111!11" sort of thing when I was about 18-19 and gave it a brutal review and rating on RYM and all that bollocks. But I've heard a couple of songs from it around the place lately and I think I need to give it another chance because they weren't utterly distasteful and there was certainly a nostalgia value. It's probably at least a 2/5 rather than a silly fucking 0.5.

Also from 1997: Spice Girls' Spice, Marcy Playground had their one-hit wonder, Sex And Candy, Zoot Suit Riot started a brief swing revival, Limp Bizkit came on teh scene, as did Usher, The Verve released Urban Hymns and I never forgave them for Bittersweet Symphony ever again, Everclear released So Much For The Afterglow, another favourite of mine (another band of which I like one album and despise teh rest of their discography), and Eminem had his first commercial release.

...I LOVE 1997!

Oh you kids and your "back in the days of Numb"! That's when Linkin Park lost me because I thought they'd gone soft.

Been meaning to listen to Hybrid Theory again. I had a kind of reactionary "oh my god all Linkin Park is shit!!!!!111!11" sort of thing when I was about 18-19 and gave it a brutal review and rating on RYM and all that bollocks. But I've heard a couple of songs from it around the place lately and I think I need to give it another chance because they weren't utterly distasteful and there was certainly a nostalgia value. It's probably at least a 2/5 rather than a silly fucking 0.5.
Linkin Park is okay. I had an urge to listen to In The End earlier. Went away though.

Oh god I hated that Marcy Playground hit.

Listening to The Way by Fastball now ... it just doesn't hold up, but ah nostalgia.

I've always hated that rapper guy.

Also from 1997: Spice Girls' Spice, Marcy Playground had their one-hit wonder, Sex And Candy, Zoot Suit Riot started a brief swing revival, Limp Bizkit came on teh scene, as did Usher, The Verve released Urban Hymns and I never forgave them for Bittersweet Symphony ever again, Everclear released So Much For The Afterglow, another favourite of mine (another band of which I like one album and despise teh rest of their discography), and Eminem had his first commercial release.

...I LOVE 1997!

Not even if it had The Rolling People, Catching the Butterfly, Space and Time, Weeping Willow, Lucky Man and Come On?

I've always hated that rapper guy.

Not even if it had The Rolling People, Catching the Butterfly, Space and Time, Weeping Willow, Lucky Man and Come On?

...no. Bittersweet Symphony is unforgivable. :lol: It is as big a sin against music as...Wild Honey.

Back
Top Bottom