Wimbledon is upon us...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really wanted Clijsters to win today and for a while it looked like she was going to...especially once Venus stomach went dodgy on her, but then it rained, Venus recovered a bit and Kim lost :( Poop.

Henman out too...who didn't see that one coming? :shrug:

I'm looking forward to seeing Roddick vs Federer though! Match of the tournament I reckon :yes:

Roddick really has to learn you don't just win Tennis matches by hitting it as hard as you can. Might get you to the semis but you won't win a slam till you learn that. Does the guy have a brain in his head?

brettig said:
Roddick really has to learn you don't just win Tennis matches by hitting it as hard as you can. Might get you to the semis but you won't win a slam till you learn that. Does the guy have a brain in his head?

I think so. He's only 20, he just changed coaches and his results are still improving.

i just hope we get a close final

i hope phillipousis wins because hes had to come back from all those injurys with his knee (and because hes australian :wink: )
having said that Federer is just as equal chance on winning

as for the womens final......i'll give that a miss!

verte76 said:

I think so. He's only 20, he just changed coaches and his results are still improving.

Yeah probably, but it was pretty stark watching him against Federer...a guy with two shots versus a guy with all the shots.

brettig said:

Yeah probably, but it was pretty stark watching him against Federer...a guy with two shots versus a guy with all the shots.

Oh sure. Federer is an amazing player, he has everything. He was clearly the better player. I think Roddick can develop other shots and improve, he just needs to mature. I like to see *many* contenders for the titles to keep the sport interesting. That's why I'm not watching the women's final. Can you say "boring"?

Yeah I'm glad Federer won! He most certainly deserved it! It was cool to see his reaction too cos you could just how much he wanted to win :yes:

good effort Big Fella/ Mark. 15 sets in 3 days I think it was.!WOW!
Jump in the spa, get a massage, hug your mum. You did us proud.

I read that Martina Navratilova just matched Billie Jean Kings record of 20 Wimbelon crowns. Not bad, considering the first was in 1961( my facts might be a bit off there, but along those lines)
I watched a lot more tennis back in Martina's heyday. I admired her and Ivan Lendl and Pat Cash. Andre keeps me interested:D

Congrats to Federer. I hope he wasn't listening to Triple J this morning...they were blaming the Swiss for everything..naughty naughty( tongue-in -cheek)
they forgot about yodelling

Serena won.

Lleyton lost.

My life has no meaning.

Now, I know quite a few of the women's players have retired as they can't keep up with the Williamses. They play a different style of tennis altogether. It's tough, it's rugged, fast-paced, and compeltely based on the powerstroke and serve.

The question is: will the Williams sisters revolutionize tennis forever? Excluding the French, can small players, ala Justine Henin, actually have a chane...a real chance, at winning? (not at making the semis, but really winning against a hard-hitter like Serena, esp on a grass court)? Or will Serena, and to a lesser extent, burn out by 28? The majority of the top ranked women's players are hard hitters: Williamses, Davenport, Mauresmo, Capriati (to a small extent). Clijsters and Henin are up there, granted, but it just seems they always get so far, yet don't win the final against the hard hitters (and don't give me the one-time excuse of Serena being beaten by Clijsters or Henin, okay?)

hmm

well complete domination usually always finishes off after a while. navratilova was dominating the game in the 80s, graf succeeded her, and now it's the two williamses. someone will replace her sooner or later, although i'm not sure whether it will be a slightly smaller player.

'scuse my ignorance ...again please

where is Leander Paes from?

Not sure about who will challenge the Williams sisters and what style shall evolve, but just wanted to say , an aquaintance of mine, a photo journalist took a photo of one of them in Melbourne a year or two ago. Perhaps the best tennis photograph I have seen. I wish I had kept it.

Back
Top Bottom