Wimbledon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vaz02 said:
tim didnt even stand a chance

Nope! That was actually a horrible match for me to watch because I love Federer and Henman equally. Federer has been splendid so far.

I'm really glad that Andy Roddick played so poorly today against a player who isn't even in the top 100 ranking. Can't stand Roddick. :mad:

Anyone else bored by Federer? I mean, he's obviously a fantastic tennis player, but his matches get boring when he just robotically destroys his opponents.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Anyone else bored by Federer? I mean, he's obviously a fantastic tennis player, but his matches get boring when he just robotically destroys his opponents.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

Federer has made tennis boring because no one can beat him. The great thing about Tennis in the 70s, 80s, and 90s was that there was great parity. A large variety of players could win grand slam tournaments. But now, there is no parity.

namkcuR said:

Federer has made tennis boring because no one can beat him. The great thing about Tennis in the 70s, 80s, and 90s was that there was great parity. A large variety of players could win grand slam tournaments. But now, there is no parity.

Pete Sampras won wimbledon 4 times in a row(97-00)....which is what Federer is attempting to do this year. So as far as wimbledon goes it wasn't been long before Federer when there was total dominance.

I don't get bored with Federer most of the time because he is brilliant. :drool:

the rockin edge said:

Pete Sampras won wimbledon 4 times in a row(97-00)....which is what Federer is attempting to do this year. So as far as wimbledon goes it wasn't been long before Federer when there was total dominance.

And Sampras also won Wimbledon in 93-95.

But the difference is that there were guys giving Sampras a real run for his money every year. Agassi, Patrick Rafter, Richard Krajicek, Boris Becker, Goran Ivanisevic, Michael Chang, Marat Safin, Alex Corretja(remember that 1996 U.S. Open quarterfinal where Sampras was actually throwing up in the fifth set?), etc, gave Sampras real competition - a challange.

Can you really say that anybody is giving Federer real competition in the big picture right now? Roddick's not doing it...he's gone downhill actually. Hewitt's not doing it. Nadal maybe.

Last edited:
I could watch Federer beating everyone for 10 years straight as long as he plays like this
you can't blame the guy for lack of competition

the rockin edge said:

:love: my thoughts exactly!

it'd be nice to see Murray beat Roddick on the 3rd round :drool:

:madwife:

I've been surprised at how well Murray has come back in the Benneteau match. Roddick really did play poorly the other day, so I guess he could stand a good chance (as much as it kills me to say it).

Last edited:
My goodness. Did anyone see the Nalbandion/Verdasco match? That was almost painful at the end. He really just gave up :|

Hell, and if it was in an attempt to finish in time to see the Argentina match then he's going to be pretty PO right now.

beau2ifulday said:
Hell, and if it was in an attempt to finish in time to see the Argentina match then he's going to be pretty PO right now.

:lol: that is the very definition of a bad day.:wink:

i'd like to watch Murray vs Roddick tomorrow, but i have a feeling i'll be watching something else.:whistle:

namkcuR said:

Yeah..I mean, I quickly switched over to the beginning of the 2nd set of Henman v Federer and I could just tell how it was going to end and turned it off..he is just too good even for very fine players. Also, I think the likes of Roddick, Hewitt etc would be winning a lot ot titles in most other eras, it's just that Federer is superhuman seemingly.

Murray CREAMED Roddick today! :hyper: The match was supposedly very close (I didn't get to see it because the football was dominating all of the sports programmes here) but that doesn't change the fact that Murray took him out in straight sets. Finally, a sporting related thing to be pleased about today!

^
It really wasn't very close at the end. Roddick seemed to pull a Nalbandion and gave up slightly. He was hitting alot of his serves into the net at the end, which I'm sure is good news for you and TRE, since you are both such raving Roddick fans ;)

Now Venus is out, I'm rooting for Mauresmo for the final - even if it does mean more comments from my Mother regarding her gender.

no comments necessary re. Mauresmo's gender:
it is both male and female

so everyone is right!

beau2ifulday said:
^
It really wasn't very close at the end. Roddick seemed to pull a Nalbandion and gave up slightly. He was hitting alot of his serves into the net at the end, which I'm sure is good news for you and TRE, since you are both such raving Roddick fans ;)

Fantastic! :drool: See, now at least being able to watch a portion of that would have made my day. Silly NBC and their subpar Wimbledon coverage!

Now Venus is out, I'm rooting for Mauresmo for the final - even if it does mean more comments from my Mother regarding her gender.

Your mother does the same? :lol: My mother says she looks like Orlando Bloom circa The Lord Of The Rings. She's a fantastic player, though, regardless of her masculine appearance. If Justine weren't still in it, I'd probably be supporting Mauresmo as well.

With temperatures soaring to 32C on a scorching day at Wimbledon, some of the top players understandably decided to cut short their sessions on the Aorangi Practice Courts.

Sixth seed Lleyton Hewitt came off 10 minutes early, while top women's seed Amelie Mauresmo took it easy and returned to the pavilion after half an hour.

Her early departure freed up the court for one coach to work with a youngster - just about taller than the racquet he was wielding - much to the delight of Belgium's Kim Clijsters.

Clijsters laughed as the youngster struggled to get the ball back over the net, and gave him a generous round of applause when he toddled off the court.

"Gee, he's better than me!" said the US Open champion.

I don't think there's anyone else in sport who's nicer than Kim Clijsters. :heart:

I love roddick , intresting watching the guy serve.

How did Murray pull it off lol ?

hate murray cos he disrespects the english.

Back
Top Bottom