Wimbledon 07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Disappointing men's semi-finals....Gasquet didn't really provide much against Federer and Djokovic was really just way too knackered to do anything against Nadal.

Repeat of last years final then....over in 4 sets with Federer the winner...my prediction anyway but i'm hoping Nadal can maybe take 2 sets from Roger this time round.

Ahh too bad Nadal couldn't take the break points he had against Roger in the final set. But congrats to Roger worthy champion again...next year will be fun as Nadal just seems to be getting better and better...his first serve in percentage needs to increase a bit more though, still loses a few too many points on it, especially to Roger.

Some good shots of Federer with Borg, two legends of the game.

Well done Nadal and Federer for a 5 set nerve-wrecking match.

Congrats Federer for the emotional 5th win in Wimbledon.

The only thing missing was the organisers not getting Bjorn Borg to deliver the trophy to Roger, he would have deserved it.

You know the match really reminded me of Borg/McEnroe 1980 Wimbledon final...5 sets of quality tennis with Borg just clinching it...1981 saw McEnroe beat Borg in 3 sets...Borg then retired aged 26 (I don't think Federer would ever retire until he wins the French) but there are quite a few parallels...an ice cool artist versus a real human fighter as such...it's God given grace and talent versus someone able to play above their aggregate ability by shear force of will (not to say Nadal ain't talented, he obviously is).

Next person I hear that says Nadal is only a one surface player I may slap though, because it is crap.

It is great for the men's game that we have this type of rivalry, they bring out each others best games.

Question now is, who is closer to beating who? Is Federer closer to beating Nadal at the French or is Nadal closer to beating Roger at Wimbledon? Personally I think Nadal has closed the gap the more...even though Roger had a good few break points at the French against Nadal he never really capitalised and he never really looked in it. Where as Nadal does seem to be greatly improving on grass and really taking the game to Roger.

Nadal is getting better, could he be better than Federer this time next year?

Federer is just an all round top bloke, here's hoping for another 5 Wimbledon titles to the world's best sportsperson.

Finally we're getting a proper rivarly as opposed to the one player winning on one surface or the other just giving a single set to the other on every other surface.

I don't think Federer is quite the super-human some portray him to be (as time has shown, I still think he has less competition than previous greats of the game), nor is Nadal the DopingMan.

I think Nadal is much closer to winning Wimbledon than Federer is to winning in Roland Garros. We'll see what happens on the other surfaces this year...

Why do people continue with this doping crap and Nadal, i've seen it suggested a few times by sort of extreme Federer fans...no one in the sport has ever even suggested it...it is complete crap talk.

Just another thought...it does seem the grass courts are playing slower than the hard courts these days, hence Rafa's ability to do well on grass and have trouble against the big servers like Berdych on hard.

He still really needs to make his serve better...if he can I think he could reach the Aussie/Us open finals...he needs to get a few more unreturnables per service game, as ultimately that is what Federer won Wimbledon on this year.

That is my one gripe with Wimbledon...yes it has the tradition etc etc, but a strong serve (combined with strong volley shots) is just such a huge advantage compared to other surfaces, even if most of the best tennis players have a strong serve anyway.

It hasn't been done since he played Sampras.

So happy for Federer, it didn't look like it was going to come out of it that way for quite awhile there. :yikes:

I have to say I don't think he played at the top of his game for much of the match whereas Nadal looked better than I've even seen him on that surface. But he pulled it out when he needed to, so I guess that's what matters most. Though if Nadal continues injury free at this pace it's going to be hard as shit for him to win at Roland Garros.

God I love tennis. I'm already going into withdrawals, need the US Open. :crack:

Tennis takes over your life when its on....the BBC had the French Open on then straight into Queens and Eastbourne for a week each before Wimbledon and then of couse Wimbledon for two weeks solid....one of the few sports that actually lasts all day really.

I've never seen the US open on the BBC though...I know they show the Australian though but that is usuallyat 4 in the morning or something.

Back
Top Bottom