Wilco...where do I start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
One of the few newer bands I haven't dug into. I've never heard a song by these guys and want to start right now. :drool:

So, what album do I get first?

I hate Wilco

Yankee Foxtrot Hotel seems to be their most critically acclaimed album.

i only really got into them last year, having previously been truned off by the alt-country tag, but i'm really glad i gave them a chance. jeff tweedy is a fabulous songwriter.

i'm sure bear, joyful girl and elvis presley will be able to give you more informed opinions, but yeah, yankee hotel foxtrot is absolutely stellar, followed closely by a ghost is born.

the kicking television: live in chicago cds are a good overview as well.

I really like YHF and A Ghost Is Born as well. I bought them at the same time and really really enjoy them.

If anybody says anything other than Summerteeth, then he/she either doesn't know the band well enough to answer or, more likely, he/she simply didn't understand what you were asking for.

If you want a place to start, start here. It is everything the band has become and everything the band ever was all at the same time. It is the Pet Sounds of my generation. Thank whatever/whomever you believe in for Jay Bennett, kids. Seriously. There isn't a single weak song. It's quite the album, and if you don't like it then you probably don't need to bother with the band.

If you do, then follow it up with their best ALBUM--Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Follow that up with A Ghost Is Born before making your way to Being There and then the vastly inferior A.M.. Then get the bad taste out of your mouth with Kicking Television and you'll be good to G-O. Holla.

If you shout... said:
If anybody says anything other than Summerteeth, then he/she either doesn't know the band well enough to answer or, more likely, he/she simply didn't understand what you were asking for.

If you want a place to start, start here. It is everything the band has become and everything the band ever was all at the same time. It is the Pet Sounds of my generation. Thank whatever/whomever you believe in for Jay Bennett, kids. Seriously. There isn't a single weak song. It's quite the album, and if you don't like it then you probably don't need to bother with the band.

I guess I'm weird then because although I like Summerteeth, I doubt I would have purchased anything else by Wilco if I had heard it first. I find YHF and AGIB vastly more interesting. :shrug:

I love Summerteeth, but I'd still suggest YHF to someone. Summerteeth would also be a fine choice though.

Dalton reads If you shout's post verbatem

If you shout... said:

If you do, then follow it up with their best ALBUM--Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Follow that up with A Ghost Is Born before making your way to Being There and then the vastly inferior A.M.. Then get the bad taste out of your mouth with Kicking Television and you'll be good to G-O. Holla.

I just listened to all of Summerteeth on Yahoo Music, and all I can say is "woah". :ohmy:

It's a totally exciting, fun album that even in its hour length, kept me interested.

Candyfloss and Shot In The Arm...:drool:

I think there's something wrong with this version though. It lists the hidden tracks as follows:

Untitled (23 seconds of slience)
Candyfloss
A Shot In The Arm (remix)

I thought it was supposed to be...

Untitled (23 seconds of slience)
Candyfloss
The Future Age (alternate)

:eyebrow:

Onto YHF...

Last edited:
Get yourself down the DVD rental store and take out Sam Jones' documentry film "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart",follows the band while making Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

YHF is a truly great album.....

Wilco...not really a new band.

Anyway, they're all different. Try Being There next....

:drool:

Ugh, Dalton...I am so sorry...I must have seen where indra quoted it and didn't include the last bit, and I thought you had added the last bit. :reject: I'm sorry.

I listened to YHF, and I must say that, while not being quite as good as Summerteeth, it seems to have a lot of potential as a favorite.

Thanks for all your help! :)

Wilco is my second favorite band. Though no one's mentioned it yet, I'd recommend their collaboration with Billy Bragg, Mermaid Avenue, which is an album of Woody Guthrie songs. It's not my favorite (I'd rank YHF, then Being There), but it's a great album.

I'd also recommend you try to find some bootlegs. Wilco is an amazing band live. I finally got a chance to see them this summer, on the last date of their summer tour. This blog has mp3s of the show that are excellent sound quality. Jeff Tweedy was in a great mood and talked to the crowd a lot, and they debuted four new songs, all of which are top-notch. It was the best non-U2 show I've ever seen.

I also have a few other Wilco shows. PM me and maybe we can work out a trade or I can send you some tracks.

YHF and A Ghost is Born. I had Being There, and liked it when I had it, but I grew tired of it and sold it. I had actually given up on the band. Then I got YHF and fell in love with them again. A Ghost is Born is just as good. Now I listen to Being There and it seems outdated.

LemonMelon said:
Talking about bootlegs...

Is Kicking Television as good as many say it is?

I enjoy Kicking Television, but because it was compiled from three shows, it doesn't flow as well as a single Wilco performance. The first disc is excellent. The second feels disjointed to me. I don't listen to it as much as I do the Wilco shows I have.

elevation2u said:
any thoughts on Mermaid Ave??..(the billy bragg collaboration)
I'm really tempted to buy this being a fan of guthrie, but I've never heard anyone mention the album
:hmm:

The first album is jaw-dropping. The second is terrifically hit-or-miss. I would buy the first and steal the second, if I were you. Honestly.

If you're on the fence, check out "Another Man's Done Gone," "California Stars," "Walt Whitman's Niece," and "Ingrid Bergman" to get an at least decently representative idea of what sort of shit the boys were bringing to the table (and by "boys," I mean Wilco + Billy Boi).

Back
Top Bottom