Why do we women put ourselves through torture for beauty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I've had it!
I practiclaly tore layers from my own skin today waxing and for what?
So it looks a little smoother and softer?
The skin where the wax was placed is still red and sore 6 hours later, oh but it does feel smooth. Yippee

Why do we do this to ourselves?
Men can walk around like hairy apes, but one hair out of place on our bodies and we are ugly creatures who "go for the natural look".

Excuse me while I vent.
Sometimes it sucks being a girl.

I hear ya manda. I can't stand waxing, nearly reduces me to tears. I don'T know how you do it.

One of the worst things is depilatory lotions like Nair or Neet....Eeew. The smell stays in your bathroom for hours.

i think its best when girls are as they are.

it must look rediculous and unbelievable to hear that from a guy. ah well, its true.

oh, but dont get me wrong. hairy armpits and mega hair legs just arent for me. but if thats your style run with it. what do i care?

------------------
-deathbear

Compared to you, manda, I think I'm as hairy as a gorilla's armpits.

yarof
frown.gif

yarof, how do you know how hairy I am?
Perhaps I am a hairy underarmed and legged wolfgirl.
Don't cry yarof, we girls should stand strong and say we are beautiful without the high maintenance routine!

Although, I must say Gillette's girly wildberry shaving cream is delish and leaves u feeling silky smooth. FOR LIKE A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk*

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

it must look rediculous and unbelievable to hear that from a guy. ah well, its true.

oh, but dont get me wrong. hairy armpits and mega hair legs just arent for me. but if thats your style run with it. what do i care?

I think you just made a handfull of friends tonight..................
I think I like you
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

its very easy to say, but would i have wasted my time writing that if i didnt feel that way?

i dunno, its hard to compliment someone these days without looking like your trying to get something back in return.

have a nice night.

------------------
-deathbear

I just shave...never have liked waxing. I'm pretty lazy tho...I dont wear much make up either...takes me 10 minutes to get ready in the morning
smile.gif

I'm sure that at your most natural, you ladies are all extremely beautiful anyways.

Originally posted by Saracene:
I only use an eye-liner, myself... and I usually wear pants so that I don't have to shave my legs too often. The hair is not there if nobody sees it,
smile.gif

Same here buddy!

smile.gif

actually I wear little make-up and look wrong with so much on yet mum says I should wear more.............well thats all very well if u have a make-up artist to help with colours to suit and shit but if not. I just ignore................

it is hard being a girl.........I blame mags too for shoving perfection into the eyes of a girl who can or may look nothing like that............fuk models, I would have REAL women in my mag............

Why manda? I dont bother
biggrin.gif
In sunlight you can really tell too. I've never waxed, I think the idea of pouring hot wax over my legs is just not right. My mum got me one of the Venus shaving kits for xmas and I used it once. It does smell lovely that shaving gel stuff they made. Im going to add shaving to my mid year resolutions.

Originally posted by mad1:

it is hard being a girl.........I blame mags too for shoving perfection into the eyes of a girl who can or may look nothing like that............fuk models, I would have REAL women in my mag............

Amen to that ;-)

*There are THREE BILLION women in this world who don't look like supermodels and only EIGHT who do*

lol maddie, I think my mum was thinking the same, but I looked down at my furry legs and kinda conceded. I liked my razor holder so much I stuck on the shower wall
biggrin.gif

Thats a great quote Whizzee!

As my very gorgeous friend, Claudia always used to say "Supermodels are freaks of nature."

The make up/ making yourself look nice thing... I can walk out of the house without a scrap of make up on and in a t shirt and jeans and I dont get a second glance. Slap a bit of make up on and a tight shirt and the boys look. I don't get it. Im the smae frigging person! Men are so thick sometimes.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk*

Originally posted by ABEL:
I just shave...never have liked waxing. I'm pretty lazy tho...I dont wear much make up either...takes me 10 minutes to get ready in the morning
smile.gif

hehe. me too. And I couldn't care less. If a guy wants me because of the paint on my face...hmm. No thanks.
biggrin.gif

so, still no answer to the original question?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I guess a feasable answer would be that the entertainment industry and media have taught society that the more super/arti-ficial women are, the better. Unfortunately.

I agree with death bear.

I like less make-up as well. I think my girlfriend looks outstanding without it.

Zoomerang, I think I love you.

I went to a high school where looks were sooo overrated. I wore make-up, rolled my kilt, had the latest shirts, jeans, boots, etc. It was sad. The school was a joke really. I was a good student and all, just lived by these invisible rules of fashion and beauty set by-who knows?-- for the majority of the girls at school. The ones that didn't were made fun of or called 'ugly.' I always admired how they managed to look pulled together without overdone.
Gradually I stopped wearing as much makeup. I didn't care. I was dancing 6 days a week, doing homework until 2am. Who had time to get up, dry my (thick) hair, apply concealer, foundation, cover-up, eye shadow, liner, lipstick...? My friends were still my friends...why should anyone care what I look like?
Then I got to university. The diversity is astounding. I went from an all-Italian pretensious (sp?) high school to this amazing, different, university.
Girls, giys, really don't care what they look like. Wake up in the morning, shower, go to class. People see you at your worst (i.e. after you've pulled an all-nighter). No one cares. There's a lot more liking me for who I am rather than for what I look like. And I met so many amazing people (girls, guys--my boyfriend) who don't care if my hair isn't highlighted, or if my mascara is smudged.

I wake up now, put on a bit of concealer maybe and some mascara (on days when I have time). When I go out I get all dolled up, but really, who cares?

I still shave...I dance, so we have to. Plus, I do for hygenic reasons (underarms anyway). Legs I can take or leave. Who sees my legs in the winter? Besides, I was lucky enough to be blessed with blond thin hair that doesn't even show...
smile.gif

Originally posted by Salome:
so, still no answer to the original question?

because it makes us feel important
it makes us feel pretty
We feel guys will like us better
we feel more accepted
it boosts our self confidence by hiding our flaws

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 03-12-2002).]

Wow. I just got off the phone making my appointment to be waxed. I hate it too, but the reaction is always nice. However, it is a serious double standard. We get beard burn from their 5-o-clock shadow and they tell us to stop whining.... we let our leg stubble grow for more than a day and we're ape-women. It really isn't fair. Not that I like body hair, and I definately don't want to keep mine, but you get my drift.

most men fear women
so I don't see how we pressure you into doing anything

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

A little iorny here....Check out the other thread here in the Lemonade Stand. The majority of woman who have posted have said that a face is more important than body, as opposed to the few guys who have posted daying the body.

So, maybe men should wear make-up! I value natural good looks. Most of the women I am attracted to do not wear make up or go through a crazt regime to keep themselves all dolled up. They are just naturally pretty in my eye.

Keep in mind, ladies, that supermodels are supermodels for several reasons, but one in particular: Physically, they are blank slates. Ever thought to yourself, "Yeah, she's pretty, I guess, but what's so damn great about her?"

Answer: Nothing. That's why she's a supermodel. One big reason, for example, that stick-thin fashion models came into style was that because the thinner a model is, the more she becomes a human hanger. The dress or the shirt or whatever lays flatter, hangs "better," and thus it's all about the *clothes* and the *look*--NOT the woman. Fashion modeling is a meat market. Remember that. They are human hangers, ladies.

I have never in my life known an actual guy who liked stick-thin girls. In fact, I have a guy friend who is fairly skinny himself and he is dating a girl who is pretty full-figured. He's just amazed by her. She's actually heavier than him, and to hear him talk about her, you'd swear that women had never come in sizes bigger than 8 before. He just loves how curvy and stuff she is. And while I'm only about five feet tall, I'm not exactly a waif in terms of weight, and every guy I've ever been with loves the fact that I'm not afraid of a few extra pounds.

I think most men like women to look nice, to do ourselves up a little bit, and I think that's pretty reasonable. Because, ladies, let's admit it: do you want to be seen in public with someone whose hair is a mess, whose clothes don't match and are wrinkled and icky...No! Of course you don't! (Unless you are so enlightened that you *truly* don't care, in which case I freely admit that you are a better person than I.) I think, however, that as a woman and as a human being, that you have the right to draw boundaries as to how much you want to "groom" yourself. Your significant other ought not to make demands on you.

Is the personal political? Sometimes, and perhaps I'm getting carried away. Let me wrap this up: IF IT HURTS, DON'T DO IT.
smile.gif

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

If I get all dolled up and go out, I get absolutely no male attention.

If I'm traveling and wearing the same coffee-stained t-shirt for 2 days and no make-up, or stopping by the grocery store on my way home from the gym in sweats and a baseball cap, I have to fight them off.*

Go figure.

*okay, I embellished for effect

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 03-12-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom