Why Coldplay's Next Album=Zooropa 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
You know how some Coldplay fans hate PARACHUTES while others love it. The way it's perceived is alot like a certain U2 album we all know, THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE. Though most of you probably thought POP; I know I love that album too. Anyways, I started thinking and I discovered that Coldplay's first three albums show similarities to u2 albums.
PARACHUTES is THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
Think about it, second to the before mentioned POP, it is the album that divides U2 fans. When UF came out, it was thought of as missing the passion of WAR. Its sonic landscape were far from rock & roll. PARACHUTES is the same way. It is lush and ethereal but lacks a punch. Like UF, the songs on P are not always good by themselves but put together create something beautiful. Then there are the songs, UF is known for PRIDE, SORT OF HOMECOMING, BAD and MLK while P is known for YELLOW, DON'T PANIC, TROUBLE and EVERYTHING'S NOT LOST. See anything familiar between the two, if not here it is. P was driven by its one energetic anthem just as UF was driven by its only real anthem hit. YELLOW like PRIDE was an instant live favorite. Both albums have opening tracks that have cult status in the fan base just as both have a heavy "ballads" in the middle of the albums. And finally both end on hopeful notes.
A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD is THE JOSHUA TREE
Both these albums were the first masterpieces and break-out albums for their respective bands. Both albums
WHERE THE STREETS...= POLITIK
Both are epic intros that would become live favorites. In a sense, POLITIK is a backward version of 'STREETS. After the second chorus and on in POLITIK is the equivalent of the intro to 'STREETS. Imagine Chris Martin's lavish vocals at the end as Edge's guitar playing the opening notes.
BULLET THE BLUE SKY= CLOCKS
Like CLOCKS, maybe BULLET would have sounded better on the next album. Both sound almost out of place on their respective albums.
With RBH, the album's "second half" is filled with unique songs that would not live long as live pieces and would be relegated to hidden gems. JT is the same way. The two also end with restrained and almost dreamlike songs.
As for RATTLE & HUM, I wouldn't call it a studio album.
X & Y as ACHTUNG BABY.
These two albums don't sound like the albums before them. When VH1 did there 100 Greatest Albums show a few years back they described AB as, 'dark, space and you could dance to it.' This could also describe X & Y. Also, there was conflict and problems plaguing the making of these albums. AB made U2 cool and X & Y made Coldplay cool too.
SQUARE ONE= ZOO STATION
Both songs made killer openers. SQUARE ONE leads you in before launching one into the colorful world the album paints. The same can be said of ZOO STATION.
These albums also contain the song that both groups will probably be remembered for; FIX YOU & ONE. SPEED OF SOUND like THE FLY was the first single on an album that had no songs that sounded like it. Both albums have very dark and very heavy songs: WHITE SHADOWS, LOW & TWISTED LOGIC and AB's UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD, ACROBAT, LOVE IS BLINDNESS.

If the trend continues, Coldplay will make their most experimental record yet. Chris Martin has said the next record with be darker with more pianos. Even sweeter if they had put the Johnny Cash song on their next album.

ZOOROPA was made from the creative energy of ZooTv and ACHTUNG BABY. Chris Martin has hinted at having lots of ideas and a new record as early as 2007.

please tell me this is a joke......

on a related note.....
X&Y was crap if they produce another like that my love for them is over...

they should do another album in the same vein as A rush of blood....brilliant record...
:drool:

Coldplay tried to experiment with X&Y and look how that turned out:|

xaviMF22 said:
Coldplay tried to experiment with X&Y and look how that turned out:|

I disagree. It's because they DIDN'T try to experiment that X&Y was crap. They tried to duplicate ROBTTH. It sounded forced, safe, stale, and devoid of courage.

namkcuR said:

I disagree. It's because they DIDN'T try to experiment that X&Y was crap. They tried to duplicate ROBTTH. It sounded forced, safe, stale, and devoid of courage.

I think they did, at least thats what Chris said.......""we tried to reinvent the wheel"

I do agree that everything sounded forced..its like they tried to outdo themselves and failed badly...

everysong on X&Y sounds forced

square one...tries to be an awesome opener like politik..but fails imo

speed of sound...clocks part 2:|

fix you....coldplay tries to replicate the scientist.....:|

Interesting thread...

I don't buy a word of it, but it's interesting.

It's not because I don't like the Coldplay/ U2 comparison threads, for I really don't mind(you'll find they're not really liked around here). I see SOME comparison.

But the problem with most of them is, like this one, they compare apples to oranges. I mean Parachutes to UF, honestly? To compare one artist's debut to a direction changing album in someone's catalog is ridiculous. I really don't see how Parachutes or UF are devisive among fans. Parachutes is the debut that put them on a map, usually a devisive album has to come out somewhere after their debut. And I really don't see UF being that devisive either.

There is so much wrong with the initial post that I don't even know where to start. :huh:

For starters, U2 displayed plenty of passion on The Unforgettable Fire. Passion doesn't always mean loud guitars. It can also be emotional depth, something Coldplay has barely scratched the surface of, even on their best songs.

And comparing X&Y to Achtung Baby? That's just insane. I don't even think X&Y is as interesting as either ATYCLB and HTDAAB, and I think those albums were incredibly overrated.

I stopped reading after the part that said "Bullet didn't sound right on that album, like Clocks" or something to that effect :|

X&Y is forced and dull. I was very disappointed. Parachutes and Rush of Blood are both excellent. Considering this was a bands opening two albums, hope for the future was very high. I don't think it's a bad thing that X&Y is a bit of a dud for that very reason.

Coldplay were just in Australia, and I heard in one interview Chris Martin say something to the effect of understanding X&Y's failings and that a different direction was definitely coming. I hope so.

Why drink alcohol when you could just read this thread and achieve the same thing?!

TOO MANY CAPS

someone rewrite that post without all the album titles capitalized and with proper spacing plz thx

AtomicBono said:
TOO MANY CAPS

someone rewrite that post without all the album titles capitalized and with proper spacing plz thx

The internet is a series of tubes!

You know before I went on this forum I had higher respect for U2 fans but I suppose that U2 fans would have a certain apprehension towards a band that many predict will take thier crown of World's Biggest Band. I'm sorry for pouring salt into the wound.

Wow 11 posts and already hates the Interference U2 fans. That has to be some kind of record.

Or you're just really smart. But that shouldn't exempt you from learning how to type.

Screwtape2 said:
You know before I went on this forum I had higher respect for U2 fans but I suppose that U2 fans would have a certain apprehension towards a band that many predict will take thier crown of World's Biggest Band. I'm sorry for pouring salt into the wound.

I actually love Coldplay (and there are others here too), but the comparisons just didn't make any sense to me. I can see comparing Joshua Tree to Rush of Blood for the simple fact that they are both worldwide breakthrough albums. However, X&Y to Achtung Baby makes no sense. If anything X&Y compares to Rattle & Hum because it is now time for a MAJOR change.

Your song by song comparisons really don't work either. Actually the guitar work on X&Y sounds (especially on something like White Shadows) is more like Unforgettable Fire.

Some people will always bash Coldplay here whenever you start a thread, but others will also rush to depend. So to be blunt, your post was the problem. Sorry.

Screwtape2 said:

I have no apprehension towards Coldplay. I don't care for them a whole lot though. I adore "The Scientist" and "Yellow", but most other stuff I heard just hasn't done it for me. If they ever take the "crown of World's Biggest Band"...I don't care. Wouldn't make U2 any less awesome for me. It's a non-issue.

Screwtape2 said:
a band that many predict will take thier crown of World's Biggest Band. I'm sorry for pouring salt into the wound.
Hey, I used to be a big Coldplay fan, but X&Y was quite disappointing for me. Sorry to break it to you, but it wasn't anything close to Chutes or Rush, and felt stilted, forced, and wishy-washy.

And I'm an equal opportunity basher - I'll say the same about U2's work at points in their career.
[1989]

Canadiens1160 said:

The internet is a series of tubes!

:lmao: i thought it was a dump truck...:wink:

uhhh I seriously doubt Coldplay will take U2's "crown" of World's Biggest Band. In order to such, they have to STOP SOUNDING SO MUCH LIKE U2, which really started with X&Y. Parachutes had something nice going, and Rush maybe had traces of a U2 influence, which is perfectly acceptable, and it was really a brilliant album. X&Y just sounds like a blatant U2 rip-off at some point, or worse yet, Coldplay ripping off themselves (Speed of Sound...Clocks anyone?). Overall it came off as trying too hard, imo, especially when a lot of the songs weren't that great. What If? What is that shit? What If that song didn't suck so much?

sorry, it's incredibly easy to bash Coldplay, but I really do love their first two albums. Don't Panic is one of my favourite songs ever

Back
Top Bottom