Why are radiohead fans feisty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
This isn't entirely a shit stir either btw.

Long before this forum came to be, there were so many fights and arguments about them, I know its a U2 forum, but mostly U2eys just roll their eyes when folks bag the band and just say "yeah whatever ...Loser" [insert forefinger and thumb on forehead here]. But with radiohead, the supporters can not let it go, and the knockers cannot stop ('tis equal). Why are there clashes? Does it have something to do with the mood of radiohead?
Im just wondering why a band causes so much shit between music fans.

And no one jump on me, Im not attacking anyone here.

Maybe people feel this way because it is a Radiohead forum in a U2 site...I dont know, Im not want to start anything...just a suggestion...

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

Ha!

Well, if thats the case, here's my complaint about DOL, Lem Stand, Its a Fish, FYM, Confesh, and ahhhh...any others?

A place for everything, and everything in its place my mum always said. Granted it was usually about the state of my bedroom...

Disclaimer:

I am not arguing the rightness of a radiohead/gen music forum. Merely the fights it causes regardless of where the threads are.

Well a serious question deserves a serious answer. I think, quite simply, it is because the two bands are on such different wavelengths. U2 aspire to the mainstream, whereas Radiohead (no comment on their fans) plumb some perhaps murkier depths in their music. It's only natural that two totally different views of what popular music should be would clash head-on.

Except to me, who loves both bands to bits.

------------------
"And you'll be standing there, while the boats go by
While the boats go by on a Friday evening
Shining your light, shining your light on a Friday evening
Got to slip away, got to slip away down that ancient highway
In a town called Paradise, in a town, in a town
All along, all along that road, all along that road
All along that road with the trancelike vision..."

I love the two bands also. Took me a while to get into Radiohead but they come in at number two now on my band list.

Basically though, as Radiohead fans posting in a forum about Radiohead on a U2 website you have to be able to accept some people are going to have a little jab or two at you. If it were a Radiohead site fair enough but, it isnt.

------------------

no one said people couldn't post their opinions, why is it a crime for radiohead fans to act surly? (most of which is a put-on anyway)

and I disagree with your notion that people just non-chalantly shrugg off negative comments about anything U2, because I have seen flame thread after flame thread regarding this album or that album or this song or that song; the difference is in most cases people don't really know what they're talking about with radiohead, they are just making general statements about a few songs they have heard, again, this is fine, but please don't act like anyone is being crucified in here, that's a bit ridiculous, this is not the place to come and try to make yourself out to be a martyr

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 01-29-2002).]

a martyr?

i dont really think its a matter of 'knowing what you are talking about' with this issue. lots of the jabs at radiohead in here are purely tongue and cheek and the sarcism is lost in the people's defensiveness.

all my point was that on a U2 website, a radiohead forum is always going to attract a few people having the odd shot at them, sarcism intended or not. pretty naive if you cant see this i think and you're bound to get a little pissed off by it all if this is the case...

------------------

[This message has been edited by bono_man (edited 01-29-2002).]

please bono_man, the sarcasm is lost to the simple fact that it's usually redundant and/or lacking in the humor, but please, by all means everyone, keep trying!!!

For the record, I have never posted with sarcism in this forum and even if I did, you probably wouldnt get it anyway...not uncommon to many in your neck of the woods...

------------------

First off this argument isn't redundant.
Jon, I'm also NOT saying this forum doesnt belong in here.
And Wanderer, I'm not talking about U2 threads from U2 fans. Im talking your average garden variety pop fan who hates anything rock or more particular, U2. We as a fan base dont care what they think, we have our own opinions on their music. Im also not talking about the differences between radioheads music and U2's.

What I was trying to find out is why there is so much ridiculous shit fighting between the 2 fan groups in here.

But as no one wants to answer, fine. Forget I asked. Sheesh!

Neither did I...Im just saying expect to cop a bit seeing it isnt a Radiohead site.

------------------

AH, if you want me to be quite honest, i think many U2 fans despise the themes in radiohead's songs, or find them dull, whatever you want to call it... now, they are also annoyed that there is a place here at interference where people are talking about radiohead, because they say this is a U2 site (when we all know everything BUT U2 talk goes on at this website, but alas, there is indeed a difference i think in the personalities of many people who like and dislke radiohead, and it shows thru)

I don't know if i answered your question correctly, I have trouble understanding things in my neck of the woods, give it time though, it may sink in eventually, I'll get back to you
smile.gif

Perhaps the anymocity you are talking about that exists between Radiohead Fans and U2 fans Angela, is the result of Radiohead fans sharing the same logic as Radiohead themselves.... I will leave you all to figure out what I mean.

I asked a question?

------------------

why? wouldnt you just miss the point again?

------------------

nice one.

------------------

hey look at that...my first sarcastic post in this forum...

------------------

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
What I was trying to find out is why there is so much ridiculous shit fighting between the 2 fan groups in here.

Angie, I think the reason that we are so defensive and surly is that we often feel attacked. People have very extreme reactions to radiohead, they seem to either really love them or really hate them. This is an old battle. I don't like arguing but I feel like we constantly have to justify this forum's existence. It seems that there are some who want to take this forum away from us but I won't give it up without a fight.

------------------
We plants are happy plants.

Back
Top Bottom