Why all the hate against Starbucks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had a mocha latte before..it is ok:angel: My local coffe shop is much better though:up:

extortionate.jpg

Geez, I don't hate Starbucks. But I'd rather get a Planet Smoothie while I'm in the neighborhood. Actually I find Starbuck's coffee rather tasty.

meegannie said:
Starbucks makes the worst chai lattes known to mankind. :|
I hate our chai lattes :|
But the tea we sell there is soooo good.
I have to hand it to us on the cappuccinos
If made right theyre delish
But usually you get somebody who isnt paying attention and makes it crappy so whatever

GibsonGirl said:
Starbucks tastes like a pile of crap. Tim Horton's all the way!

ah, we've had this debate before.

:wink:

actually, i'm kind of over my starbucks obsession. too pricey, too strong.

but i do confess to enjoying a vanilla creme frappucino every now and then...

:drool:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I like the hot chocolate at Starbucks and the cakes and muffins they serve. I am not a coffee drinker so I never buy coffee or the fancy stuff from them.

I like Caribou too.

:drool:

and yes RedrocksU2, why are you shopping at MAC?

:wink: .....my wife was buying it at Nordstrom's...

Hey, all. Another Starbucks partner (that's what we call employees in the land of The Coffee Giant) piping in.

I too am surprised more people aren't talking about Fair Trade or other, non-taste / hipness / ubiquity topics.

If you're interested, go here to learn about a lot of the good stuff Starbucks does:

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/origins.asp

As far as "why doesn't Starbucks buy more Fair Trade coffee," they're also committed to keeping up the quality of the coffee they serve. If the coffee beans aren't up to par, they're not going to buy them just because it would go into the Fair Trade (or organic, for that matter) category. It's about protecting the brand.

Oh, and if any of you are wanting to write to the CEO about Fair Trade or whatnot, Orin Smith has retired, and you should address letters and whatnot to Jim Donald, the new CEO.

I know it sounds like I'm just spouting corporate bullshit, but this is the best job I've ever had (I work at HQ in the HR department), and while I don't love everything about the company, it does a lot I can feel good about, and I really love my coworkers (waves to U2BonoGirl).

I'm not just a corporate drone, I swear! And besides ... it's where I had my Bono encounter last fall. :wink:

I'm Canadian and I think Tim Horton's is watered down crap.

Starbucks is okay. Overpriced, but at the hospital, it's that or Tim Horton's, so I know my pick.

I actually prefer both Second Cup and Timothy's over it.

anitram said:
I'm Canadian and I think Tim Horton's is watered down crap.

Starbucks is okay. Overpriced, but at the hospital, it's that or Tim Horton's, so I know my pick.

I actually prefer both Second Cup and Timothy's over it.
seriously, you can't even spit around here without hitting a timmy's. :down:

i almost never drink coffee, but i don't mind second cup's creme brulee ristoretto.

but my very favourite treat from starbucks is the tazo chai with caramel drizzle. :drool:

corianderstem said:
Hey, all. Another Starbucks partner (that's what we call employees in the land of The Coffee Giant) piping in.

I too am surprised more people aren't talking about Fair Trade or other, non-taste / hipness / ubiquity topics.

If you're interested, go here to learn about a lot of the good stuff Starbucks does:

http://www.starbucks.com/aboutus/origins.asp

That's because some people don't recognise the irony in wearing One bracelets but still drinking at Starbucks.

Oh the level of this debate.

What do you mean? Do you mean irony as in "supporting awareness of global poverty while spending $3 on a coffee drink?"

If that's what you mean, it's a bit extreme. Should people who want to support causes like that shun all luxury items? Live a Spartan existence with few possessions and give away all their discretionary income?

While granted, I'm sure it's not always the case with Starbucks patrons (or customers of any other Western chain), but it's possible to spend your discretionary income as you please, and to recognize and be grateful for what you have.

(And if that's not what you meant, then never mind ... :wink:)

Last edited:
No I meant that as long as you support a multinational corporation that wants to spread its shops all over the world, at the expense of the local producers and ensuring all profits go to the US, then wearing a One bracelet means fuck all.

Ah, gotcha. No comment on that, other than, like I said, I don't love everything about the company. Make of that what you will.

blueeyedgirl said:
No I meant that as long as you support a multinational corporation that wants to spread its shops all over the world, at the expense of the local producers and ensuring all profits go to the US, then wearing a One bracelet means fuck all.

Good thing I don't wear a One bracelet, eh? :wink:

Actually, I rarely buy food or drinks out at all, and I don't think I've ever had Starbucks anything. It's just not my thing.

:wave: hey corianderstem

I really dont see the correlation between wearing a one bracelet and buying coffee at starbucks.
If youre supporting something you really care about then live your life in the way that makes you happy. If that means not buying something from a certain company because you feel convicted to do so then great.
I have more beef with the people that wear bracelet just because it seems the cool thing to do.

Im always afraid of using that term around people that dont know much about the company :lol:
I dont want them to think Im some big wig in the company or something
Im just a lowly barista :(
But Ive bossed around the regional manager and he actually listened :lol:

Lowly, schmoly. You've got a tough job!

I know what you mean though - I'm an admin, so I feel kind of lowly among the non-retail folks. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom