Who's your favorite vocalist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rythemwire

The Fly
Who's your favorite vocalist?I mean when you hear a song by that arist you say GOOD GOD they got a hellva voice or it sends shivers down your spine?I'm new here(been here for two days) so I thought a good way of introducing myself was to try and write a good thred (I hope) well, I'll start my first is BONO I mean c'mon I read in a magizine (darn I forget which one:mad: )that they did some kind of octave test and he has the highest regeisted male vocal falsetto in rock music!!!!!! amazing eh? and who else can spill out of the headphones into your heart&soul and can make ya cry or laugh on one song?:bono: anyway my next pick is the late great Jeff Buckley GRACE enough said.I know some of you don't like my next pick, Dave Matthews :yes: he but has such a orginal voice!!!! and he can write some GOOD lyrics oh yeah also Thom Yorke,listen to How to dissapear completely(you'll get what i mean)so I hope you like this thread(sweats nervevously) sorry about the spelling ,never good at grammer.peaceout p.s PLEBA girls rock!!

I love love love Bonos voice!
its so unique and it bespeaks his idealism somehow.

but if I had to listen to one voice for the rest of my life:

ELLIOT SMITH

ahhhhhhhhh...sooooo nice

Welcome to Interference! My all-time favorite vocalist is Bono, of course. I honestly don't know how anyone could listen to his voice and not get goosebumps. I didn't know that he had the highest male falsetto in rock history, though! Speaking of male falsetto singing, the late, great Roy Orbison is also high on my list. My other favorites are Michael Hutchence of INXS (sadly, he is also no longer with us), Aretha Franklin and Annie Lennox.

I am going with consistency here-

George Michael

-->You said pick one, so one it is. You don't have to like his music to appreciate the talent found in his vocal cords. He is unbelievable. Laugh at me if you will, but I know a damn fine voice when I hear one.

Bono's number one on my list, Thom Yorke is number 2, followed by Jeff Buckley, Jude and Jay Jay Johanson. Yup, all falsetto people :yes:

Oh, and for female vocalist Tori Amos, she's got an incredible voice. And I really like Bjork's and PJ Harvey's voice too.

Last edited:
Dearest Zoonationals,

I have many favorite vocalists. First to come to my mind - Bono, Nick Cave, Michael Hutchence, Tom Waits, Peter Gabriel, and David Gahan.

They may not have the greatest singing voices - but they bring out an emotional response in every word. I would count Bob Dylan but it seems that he really doesn't sing anymore (did he ever?).

Also - to be quite honest. I don't understand why so many love Dave Matthews' voice. I find it unbearable and just ridiculous. It's just my opinion, folks so don't get pissy. And another thing, if I wanted to hear Yorke sing, all I'd have to do is go hear some tom-cat singing to the full full moon.

Female vocalists - I enjoy Manson from Garbage and Emm Gryner (not sure how you spell it, sorry). Also the lead singer of Concrete Blonde and at times - PJ Harvey. O'Connor is still one of the greatest female vocalists (listen to her newest collaboration with Moby, I believe the song is called "harbour" - and how can one forget "the thief of my heart"?).

Well. I'm tired and I want to go home.

- The Zoocifer -

Sting and Bono, not necessarily in that order. But Bono's voice will be in much poorer shape when he hits 50 than Sting's 50-year-old voice is now, unfortunately.

#1 - Michael Stipe (R.E.M.)
#2 - Carl Wilson (The Beach Boys)
#3 - Johnny Cash
#4 - Jon Spencer (Jon Spencer Blues Explosion)
#5 - Gram Parsons
#6 - Bono (U2)

I love Sting but I think he never had much of a voice to begin with, unique yes but very limited in range. Now Bono, on the other hand, had a magnificent voice which is why I think it's so sad that he's not taking better care of it. His voice still sounds pretty good and he can still hit some of the high notes but I do worry about the state of it in the next couple of years.

salome~michael stipe? really? i do love rem, but i don't really think he has a great voice...unique, but not great...

Stories for Boys said:
salome~michael stipe? really? i do love rem, but i don't really think he has a great voice...unique, but not great...
the man can do about whatever he wants with his voice
and he chooses what the song needs

I think Michael Stipe does a lovely falsetto :D
And welcome to the interf zoo rythemwire :)

I have a thing for some female vocalists. Shirley Bassey is one. And Lulu. Also Peggy Lee.

I really like Harriet Wheeler of the Sundays and Karen Peris of the Innocence Mission. They actually sound a lot a like.
They ooze talent.

Another (not so trained-sounding) voice that I happen to love is Jay Farrar's (Son Volt and solo). Anybody else know this guy? For his purposes and musical style, this guy conveys his emotions with his voice about as well as he does with his lyrics. I'm sure some people would be nauseated with him, though. He is unarguably original.

lady lemonade said:
Oh, and for female vocalist Tori Amos, she's got an incredible voice.

:yes: :yes:

and I like Michael Stipe's voice too, and bono's(well... I guess I don't even need to say this... this's a U2 board!!!:lol:)

Anyone who think Ewan McGregor has a great voice?? cause I do!!

My favorite female vocalists are fiona apple and sarah slean.
nice nice nice

[color=royal blue]In terms of vocal abilities.....In no particular order....
Bono, Sheryl Crow, Rufus Wainwright, Eva Cassidy.... more but I can't think of 'em now.

Ah Mr Buckley.....love that vox.

also don't throw a shoe at me or anything, but sometimes Mariah Carey can have a very good voice, when she's not doing those fruity falsetto things. Or she used to.
[/color]

Michael Stipe
Fran Healy
Bono
Bernard Fanning
Annie Lennox
Neil Young
Sinead O'Connor
Roger Daltrey believe it or not

Last edited:
jeff buckley, thom yorke, sinead o'connor, annie lennox. if i could sing like anyone on the planet it would be annie lennox.

Re: I am going with consistency here-

Angel said:
George Michael

-->You said pick one, so one it is. You don't have to like his music to appreciate the talent found in his vocal cords. He is unbelievable. Laugh at me if you will, but I know a damn fine voice when I hear one.

I have to absolutely agree. He was the first person I thought of, after Bono of course ;)

When I hear him sing, he sends me!!!

Re: Re: I am going with consistency here-

u2loopy said:

I have to absolutely agree. He was the first person I thought of, after Bono of course ;)

When I hear him sing, he sends me!!!

Finally someone with taste!

I have a lot of favorites ... here's an incomplete list

Bono
Jeff Buckley
Ella Fitzgerald
Jose Carreras
Placido Domingo
Maria Callas
Dave Mathews
Billie Holiday
Amanda Marshall