Who Wants to Win the World Cup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudimani

Acrobat
France, Argentina, Mexico, Paraguay, Ireland, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark (to name but a few) all out, of the teams left, who do you think wants it most and deserves to win in the true spirit of the game. Not necessarily the same thing.

Its not just about wanting to win, its about being able to swallow your pride (and your multi-million-euro price tags) and muck in for the team, personally one of the thing that disappointed me most about Portugal was Figo's attitude, he seemed insulted that he had to play group games, and actually try, and if the ball didnt come straight to his feet he wouldnt bother moving his arse to get it himself. This really disappoints me and I think highlights everything thats wrong with the game today.

For pure team spirit I think the likes of Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Mexico, Japan, South Korea, and Senegal have really shown the others what its all about, definitely a case of the team being greater than the sum of its parts. Of the big teams that have suffered, this seems to be their biggest obstacle.

Although I'll be supporting Italy now, I hope for a deserving champion, and not just someone who played ok during the championships. I hope for Senegal, and at their best I have no doubt they are good enought to reach the final, and the way the likes of Brazil, England, Italy, Germany et al are playing, who knows what could happen?

If England dont win I would love to see Senegal reach the final. Its great when a team is written off before the finals and goes on to do well. They have beaten some big names including France, I would imagine the people of Senegal would go ballistic if they got to the final..

My (unrealistic) hope is for South-Korea.

It at least provides a little Dutch input in the World Cup (the coach is Dutch) and from what I've heard these players are really dedicated. The coach said that if he wanted to wake them in the middle of the night for a heavy training, they would do it not only without protest, but also with enthousiasm. That's the spirit!

Who needs technical competence these days?

C ya!

Marty

Ace Rimmer said:
Its great when a team is written off before the finals and goes on to do well.

what about the United States! we were largely written off after the lackluster performance in France. * i still can't explain what happened there*
our team played the qualifiers well and we have even beaten Brazil (a great accomplishment for any team). Germany is a tough opponent, but this cup has proved that no team is invincible and in the world of soccer anything can happen!

USA!USA!USA!USA!
UNST001.GIF

Based on what I've seen, I'd have to say that all 8 teams still alive want it.

Obviously I'd say that England, Brazil and Germany are the favorites, but on any given day any of these teams could prove to be better than another.

since I still don't think a European team will win,
I would have to say Brasil are favourites for me

I'm just so thrilled with the showing that the U.S. team has made this time around, I won't care where they place. They're still heroes in my book.

I would like to see Senegal win the title. :up:

Back
Top Bottom