Who is your favourite "Country" singer/writer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonofnattic

The Fly
U2 is indirectly responsible for all of the small-amount of country in my musical diet. Anyway, I'm listenin' to Steve Earle right now, & must say that "The Devil's Right Hand" is one of the coolest songs. I'm also a fan of Dwight Yoakam, Robbie Fulks, Hank Williams (Senior!), and Johnny Cash.

Anyone else like country? I mean, other than Faith Hill or George Straight..who are your faves?

Maybe Nanci Griffith; I like Alison Kraus a lot, but she doesn't write much of hers, if any. I like John Prine but he isn't really country.

Hello,

I have a weakness for Emmylou Harris. Granted, I only have her album Red Dirt Girl (still need to pick up Wrecking Ball), but man, what a voice! And what a lady!

Besides her I also wholy support Johnny Cash. He guested on a U2 song, he still writes/sings great songs/renditions and he has lyrics that makes the current gangsta rappers look like sissies
tongue.gif
("I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die" is still a favourite of mine).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

I love Gary Allan. He has such a wonderful, gutsy voice. He's not all that popular, though he has released four albums (all of which I have by the way!)

Yes, Bonofnattic, I am REALLY from ALabama, the same city (Birmingham) as Emmylou Harris, whom Paomartijn mentioned. Why is that surprising?

And, yes, Brettig, much Neil Young could be considered country; his OLD WAYS and SILVER AND GOLD albums are pretty much all country. Of course, he has done just about everything but rap and hip hop.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by bonofnattic:
Who is your favourite "Country" singer/writer?

Any dead ones.

------------------
This post brought to you by: MTV "It's only cool if it's profitable."

AIM: JuanSwallow

1. Gram Parsons
2. Johnny Cash
3. Lambchop (I think they're country)
4. Steve Earl (love his "The Mountain"-album)
5. The Jayhawks (they were country)

I probably should buy the new Buddy + July Miller album

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Yeah...Gram Parsons...cool.

I'm a fan of Buddy & Julie Miller, also. I may buy their new album soon. Jimmie (Jimmy?) Rodgers anyone?

Did I mention Robbie Fulks? He's pretty kewl, also. Then there's that guy that sings, "Thunderstorms & Neon Signs"---don't remember his name, but that's pure Hank.

And, though I'm 32 & she's ___, Emmylou Harris makes me drool. Heavily.

I don't particularly care for country.
Which is funny, considering where I'm from.
But I do like Lucinda Williams... does she count?

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

I'd say Lucinda Williams counts
how could I forget her?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

There aren't too many country cd's in my collection. But I have some cd's and oodles of respect for the Man in Black, Willie Nelson, and Lyle Lovett. For the females I'd have to give a thumbs up for Sue Raney and Tammy Wynette.

Lyle Lovett! Don't know how I could've forgotten him. I also like The Mavericks, & I dig the Dixie Chicks. There's a song called "Blue Canoe" that some 'alt-country' band sings that is great, but I can't remember the name o'the band.

The Gourds are an interesting band, also. Pot-smokin' country, very strange. LOL

Willie Nelson, no one comes close.He toured Oz in 2000.I never made it to see him unfortunately.
and
Emmy Lou. She toured here last April for the Blues Festival.I did go to that
smile.gif
..sitting on the front porch, cooling in the shade, singing every song the radio played.... the Pearl, beautiful.
And sometimes Dolly sings a sweet ballad and she gets a bell in her voice that gives me shivers. I grew up listening to a lot of country music amongst other things. All good.
Troy Cassar-Daley is a local lad made good whom I admire, hub used to roadie for him years ago. His first album which took him to No1 Australian male country artist was called "Dream Out Loud"(coincidence, he's not a U2 fan)
So many great songs, so many stories beautifully told.
LMAO.. quick one before I go. My dear g'friend saw Elvis to the Max weekend before last. She ended up front of stage,with him giving her one of his glittery rings.But he said "only jokin' honey " and took it back. The audience booed him. lol. I noticed in the newspaper that the number1 female USA country artist has a song called "Your Ring Burns my Finger"We've had some laughs about that one this week.I just love some of the truly corny lyrics you stumble upon on occassion too.

PS:Neil Young is not a country artist IMHO.

Chris Gaines, uh I mean Garth Brooks, uh yeah right I mean Chris Gaines.

Honorable mention goes to Cash & Clint Black.

JOHNNY CASH!
He's the man in black, enough said.

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

Back
Top Bottom