Who is the greatest/best Canadian musician of all time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PS why do so many Americans rate the Hip? Do most Canadians like them? (really, I don't know, cause I don't know anyone who does) It's college-bar music, with largely unintelligble lyrics, hardly top 10 material in my eyes..

:shrug:

U2FanPeter said:
The 2 "main" members of Arcade Fire are not Canadian.

Who would you constitute as the two "main" members of Arcade Fire?

For me, and I'm sure for others as well, the two "main" members are the husband and wife duo of Win Butler and Regine Chassagne. In this case, Win is American and Regine is Canadian.

gabrielvox said:
PS why do so many Americans rate the Hip? Do most Canadians like them? (really, I don't know, cause I don't know anyone who does) It's college-bar music, with largely unintelligble lyrics, hardly top 10 material in my eyes..

:shh: We're trying to be nice.

Canadian in Bar: Oh, eh, hoser, ya. You like Canadian music?
American: Yeah sure...like....like that one band...um...with that song?
Canadian: Oh - The Tragically Hip?
American: Uh - YES - The Tragical...those guys. They're great.
Canadian: Funny, eh, you Americans love the Hip. We don't pay em much mind in Canada. Too busy going to the doctor's office I guess. Hear a lot of great music in the doctor's office - and it's free to boot, eh?

Later that evening:American1 to American2: Who the fuck are the Tragicals Hips?
American2: The what?

Isn't Regine Hatian?

UberBeaver said:

Canadian: Funny, eh, you Americans love the Hip. We don't pay em much mind in Canada. Too busy going to the doctor's office I guess. Hear a lot of great music in the doctor's office - and it's free to boot, eh?

Cool. I've never seen you quote the bible before. TRUTH.

UberBeaver said:

:lmao:

i just sprayed my fucking coffee out...that was priceless!

The doctor's office jab - NICE ;) (shoulda left the second sentence of that reference out tho, it would have been more subtle and funny that way sicko!! ;))

:hi5:

BonoManiac said:

Her parents escaped the dictatorship of Duvalier and immigrated to Canada where she was born in Montreal.

Oh. I thought she grew up there.

gabrielvox said:
(shoulda left the second sentence of that reference out tho, it would have been more subtle and funny that way sicko!! ;)):hi5:

It was a double jab at how we stereotype Canadians as rambling.

I never had any exposure to the Tragically Hip. I'd heard of them once I got older, but never heard any of their songs for years and years.

UberBeaver said:

<---- Ain't that the (ex-) pot(head) calling the Canadians black? :sigh:

Um...dont' want to derail this fun thread but....there are many people that believe that idiom has it's origins in racist viewpoints (and yes, I know its from Don Quioixte, which in other translations reads 'and the pot said to the kettle: get away from me, black-face!)....and many more who think that idea is silly, but then again they likely don't realize how many sayings and fundamental concepts in language, society and religion are based on the idea that black = evil and white = good...

not to say you meant it that way, but in case you weren't aware just wanted to give you another take on it..used to use it myself till I read up on it...

Having said that. you can call me black anytime...hell yeah I ramble!! :)

Last edited:
BonoManiac said:

Who would you constitute as the two "main" members of Arcade Fire?

For me, and I'm sure for others as well, the two "main" members are the husband and wife duo of Win Butler and Regine Chassagne. In this case, Win is American and Regine is Canadian.

I stand corected about Regine.

Another name that could be added to this thread is all(?) of The Band(except Levon Helm) is Canadian.

lazarus said:
I am a HUGE Neil Young fan, and own a few of Leonard Cohen's better albums. But there's no way there's any other answer to this question than Joni Mitchell. Second greatest songwriter of all time next to Bob Dylan? Turned her back on mainstream acceptance after a couple hit records and explored alternatives to pop/folk as well as traditional songwriting structure? Featured African musicians on her album 10 years before Paul Simon's Graceland? Created a totally unique form of vocal delivery with her singing? Influenced people from Michael Stipe to Prince to legions of female artists?

I loves me some feedback and pretty ditties, but Neil Young, while a towering figure in music, just isn't as revolutionary or indispensible as Joni.

I have to agree. It's a no-brainer for me, regardless of how much I love Neil Young.

BonoManiac said:

While they're nowhere near the greatest or best Canadian acts of all time, I grew up listening to Our Lady Peace and still enjoy them today. I guess you can say they're one of my favourite Canadian bands of all time. They're my guilty pleasure, if you will. I saw them in concert last year and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen—and I've been to many!

I :heart: Our Lady Peace as well...and Raine Maida's solo EP is very good. Obviously, not the greatest or best Canadian band, but I still love them. Are Raising the Fawn Canadian too? If so, they're a favorite of mine.

GibsonGirl said:
Great Big Sea, obviously.

:no: :no: :no:

In a perfect world, on a perfect night, they would share the same bill as Dashboard Confessional, have a huge spat about which of them should open the show...and, ultimately, kill each other. :hyper:

Bono's shades said:
Neil Young. :bow:

:rockon:

Neil Young is an absolute genius! The comment under this video says it all. His musical range is truly something to marvel at...quiet and thoughtful, to downright explosive.

Pensive Neil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq0tAoO3-xQ&mode=related&search= :drool:

My first introduction to his music wasn't exactly earth-shattering, however. I was 11, and watching television with my grandfather. There was a huge, nationally televised benefit for Africa at the time..."Tears Are Not Enough." It was the Canadian version of "We Are The World," a giant singalong with the country's best artists.

Neil strolled out looking like this:

imgtearsneillo9.jpg

My grandfather, looking on in horror, shouted, "WHAT A DISGRACE TO THE COUNTRY!!!" :lol:

Unfortunately, it took me a few more years to realize my grandfather was completely wrong, and that Neil was undoubtedly the most original and unique artist of the bunch. It was actually a softer album that initially drew me in: "Harvest Moon"...the 'sequel' to "Harvest." I just couldn't stop playing it, especially War Of Man, which I found strangely intoxicating with its rhythm and lyrics.

Aside from the music, he's a pretty interesting person. After his son developed cerebral palsy, Neil and his wife started the Bridge School Benefit...annual concerts that raise awareness/money for physically challenged children. The school focuses on the use of technology to help the kids lead better lives. Neil actually invented a toy train system they could use. His son fell in love with it, and with other trains...so much so that Neil ended up buying the Lionel toy train company.

I'm probably boring you all to tears at this point! I'll just end by saying that if you're new to Neil, I'd highly recommend his greatest hits collection that was released a few years ago. It's a great starting point, although it lacks some of his most recent work. My personal favourite albums of his are "Mirror Ball" (the album which features Pearl Jam as his backing band), "After The Gold Rush," and the already-mentioned "Harvest Moon."

As far as other Canadian artists go, I agree completely with Joni Mitchell...amazing lyricist. Sarah McLachlan is great, and who can forget about Rush? I've seen The Tragically Hip once so far, and they were incredible...hoping to see them again next month. You should go, GG! They kind of remind me of a hockey team with a huge following...the audience always know the songs, and loudly cheer the band on, no matter how popular they are at the time.

But Neil is definitely the best. :heart:

^ lol

i cannot stand neil young. I know I fail at music for this but I.just.hear.it.like.nails.on.a.chalkboard.
The lyrics are fine...just the singing :coversears:

in no order.
Leonard Cohen
Rush - also not a big fan, but the extent to which other people love them cannot be ignored.
Bryan Adams
Daniel Lanois - jolie louise :cute:
Gordon Lightfoot
Raine Maida (maybe - time will tell)

this thread needs borders, too wide open.

I just realized I'm not super into any of these people...I just am not ignoring how much other people like them.
leonard probably has the most buy in from me and that is as a lyricist.

Oscar Peterson, and Glenn Gould certainly should be mentioned too, however, I need borders. Too many choices.

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:

So humor me here...pretend I just landed on earth from planet Mars and had never heard of Neil Young. What would you say are oh, 20 or so essential tracks that would win me over and convince me he was the best?

I'm on a mission, I want to see if 20+ years later I can gain (or regain?) new appreciation for the man. I know, shameful to admit, but hell there's a shiteload of other music out there and I got wrapped up in it, what can I say?

Like a Hurricane
Down by the River
Powderfinger
Sleeps with Angels
Cinnamon Girl
Rockin in the Free World
Winterlong
Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing (OK, Richie Furay does it on
the Buffalo Springfield versions, but you can find some bootlegs
with Neil)
Love to Burn
Cowgirl in the Sand
Dangerbird
Harvest
Wrecking Ball
Expecting to Fly
Like An Inca
Cortez
Star of Bethlehem
Ohio
Tonight's the Night
Hey, Hey, My, My (Into the Black)

snowbunny00774 said:
^ lol

i cannot stand neil young. I know I fail at music for this but I.just.hear.it.like.nails.on.a.chalkboard.
The lyrics are fine...just the singing :coversears:

Nope, I'm with you. Same with Bob Dylan. I tried, I made the effort, but it just irked me. There seems to be no soul, no spontaneity to it. Good poetry mixed with bad musicianship. That's how I see it. It bores me.

UberBeaver said:

Nope, I'm with you. Same with Bob Dylan. I tried, I made the effort, but it just irked me. There seems to be no soul, no spontaneity to it. Good poetry mixed with bad musicianship. That's how I see it. It bores me.
Good Lord, listen to A Man Needs a Maid or something :huh: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom