White Stripes sell-out, write music for Coca-Cola ad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmmm...

i answered your questions. was expecting a significantly different response, but that's fine.

Zoomerang96 said:
hmmm...

i answered your questions. was expecting a significantly different response, but that's fine.

Like or dislike music because you actually like or dislike music?

I don't have a huge problem with that. Writing a song for a commercial is alot different than haveing a brand pay you for a song you've already written. There si no such thing as selling out anymore. There is no black and white anymore when it ocmes to that. It's all shades of grey it it all depends on how the individula looks at it. Whatever.

AS for that whole little debate about being an indie purist. If you're only an "indie purist" than you're not a true music fan. You're a fan of labels. Not likeing or likeing somthing based solely on the fact that it isn't or is "Indie" is not likeing or likeing somthing for the sake of trying to be cool. Like what you like and stop worrying about what type of label the band is under.

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:
interesting question. i don't think so. but i do admit to being pretty gutted when at a conference i was at a few months ago, the president played the vertigo ipod ad, and we all watched it and talked about how awesome it was. then the guy goes on and on about awesome u2 are these days and how they're incorporating their music to help sell themselves THROUGH IPODS. men and women in suits bobbing their heads mindlessly watching the commercial disturbed me.

does that mean it SHOULD disturb me? ultimately and ideally, no. but this is only human...these sorts of situations arise in all sorts of other areas in life.

I would feel pretty gutted and disturbed in that situation, too.

I think the reason attitudes toward musicians aggressively marketing and promoting themselves through any way possible is changing is that rock and roll is so much a part of everyday life that no one remembers a time when it was actually edgy and rebellious. It probably stopped being edgy the moment the term "classic rock" was coined. I know marketing and cross-promotion is the big thing these days (the execs where I work talk about it all the time, too), but just because that's the reality so many other people are accepting, does that mean I have to accept it too? Is it really such a terrible thing to not want to see the music you love tainted like this? Does it make me a snob? If it does, I accept the label gladly.

1. want to be indiesnob.snob - or post.postmodern - .. -- was cool about 2 years ago. its so over.

2. "but for bands, and lets use led zep. and u2 here for example, to sell their music to promote ipods or luxury cars is ludicrious in my opinion. these bands are huge...what do they need the exposure for?"

quite possibly its part of their recording contract. the record company gets part of the cake. ok bands like U2 could say big no-no to ads if they really wanted to. talk about artistic integrity? come on. they like $$,

you see lotsa bands selling their music for every ad they can get. yes it has changed. because record sales were plummeting, reocrd companies as well as artists had to embrace new streams of revenue. one of those is sync licenses (not new, but gaining popularity). others are ringtones. you think its very cool for an artist to hear his song in bleeps? it aint. but maybe it worth it. another effect of the changed scene is that live concerts are getting more expensive. why? because you can´t download the live experience. so they´re unique and that´s why people feel its worth paying the craziest prices.

the music business doesn´t make as many billions of $ as one might think. it is a very risky business trying to survive.. while the CEOs are still busy digging its graves. promo and videos became so expensive, studio and production costs are out of any reasonable calculation, so, you know.. an ad deal is an easy deal.. just sync the music and play it on tv, make 250 grand per person, plus its free promotion everytime the song is played and heard by millions of viewers.. how could U2 resist?

I skipped most of the first 5 pages of banter prior to my post. Thought I'd post here instead of opening a new thread, since the subject matter is the same.

But the only thing I will say about the "sell-out" aspect is that the band did not use a White Stripes song in their ad. It's a song Jack wrote for Coke, so it's not like hearing Led Zeppelin selling Cadillacs or The Who or Peter Gabriel (Solsbury Hill), Oasis (telephone company 'All around the world...."), etc....
anyways...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWoLu_Hvbbw

I think it's ludicrious for a 40+ band/artists to expect to make it just by MTV and radio airplay, much less in the ageist, r&b/rap/pop ruled US and on their own terms.

So, you bypass the usual channels : Moby for "Play", for example. I don't have a problem with ads (if it's a song specifically written for the ad or not), ringtones etc..., to me it's all a legitimate way to get across to an audience other than the MTV demographics.

The thing that bothers me more is when a band/artist (particularly in a certain genre) starts their own fashion label/perfumes/shoes etc... when they turn into a brand.

If you're going the "sell out" route, go all the way and just call everyone with a record label a sell out.

Back
Top Bottom